Old 09-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #21
Veteran Member

City: SoCal
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Shantyhag, there's a lot of truth in that middle paragraph that Edelweiss wrote above.
GFC, you know how I know that we don't yet know enough? I have no idea, pro or con, what their boating reputation is... I just know that they look beautiful and sleek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
BTW Shantydog, having recently been on a 10 year old larger Carver you may want to look at one of these too.
Thanks for this advice, Sunchaser. Checked out some photos and, yeah, there are some gorgeous Carvers. REALLY like the Carver Voyager 450 (again, from pictures) We've actually contacted a broker in the area that has a listing for a Carver near San Pedro. We're going to the Lido show in Newport in a couple of weeks and are making appointments to check out both that (though the broker warns us that his listing is not in the best of shape, no working electronics and in need of serious interior work... anyone seen this boat?) and a 4788 in Long Beach. We'll get the chance to see them both.

Thanks to everyone for their input on this!
Shantyhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:36 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantyhag View Post

GFC, you know how I know that we don't yet know enough? I have no idea, pro or con, what their boating reputation is... I just know that they look beautiful and sleek.

Thanks for this advice, Sunchaser. Checked out some photos and, yeah, there are some gorgeous Carvers. REALLY like the Carver Voyager 450 (again, from pictures) We've actually contacted a broker in the area that has a listing for a Carver near San Pedro. We're going to the Lido show in Newport in a couple of weeks and are making appointments to check out both that (though the broker warns us that his listing is not in the best of shape, no working electronics and in need of serious interior work... anyone seen this boat?) and a 4788 in Long Beach. We'll get the chance to see them both.

Thanks to everyone for their input on this!
I have to warn you...

Few people see a 4788 and don't fall in love with the layout.

Here's a link to a video of the interior of my boat.

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #23
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Kevin, very nice video. That looks amazingly like the 4588 we chartered many years ago. We loved that boat and would have chartered it again in a heartbeat.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Thanks for the video, Kevin! What a fun walk through your boat... wish we could have seen even more!
Old 09-10-2013, 01:58 PM   #25
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
I have a site dedicated to Pilothouse boats, and a page dedicated to Bayliner and Meridian History and Updates, along with one for construction details.
ALSO another one of scanned print ads from back in the pre-internet days. I find it historically interesting as to prices back then.

I used to have a page just for the 4588's, but they've become a rather long in the tooth, considering the last one was built in 1993. I try to get buyers to move towards the newer 4788's, and Meridian 490's as the 4788's can now be bought for what some people are still asking for the older 4588's. Like all boats built in that vintage, many synthetic materials used in later construction hadn't been yet invented, so you will find plywood in seat construction (hopefully replaced by now), flooring, etc. Their hulls are synthetic cored and THICK, with glass alone thicker than many so called quality (read EXPENSIVE) boats. Their superstructures are mostly Aluminum, which is why these boats don't have cracking windows that plague so many other marques. The window frames are NOT supporting the weight of the flybridge. The superstructure is. Hino's are TOYOTA engines, and are bullet proof, parts can be bought at NAPA. The weak part is that the marinizing parts were built out of cast iron by US Marine (Mercruiser) and need attention if used in Salt water. Good news is that they can be ceramic coated, or new parts made out of Stainless, AND you can still buy the original parts if you insist, but rather expensive. North Harbor in Annacortes has all the parts you need, and will deliver in US in 24 hours.

As far as seaworthiness? People regularly run them from San Francisco to Mexico and back, and they're very popular in Portland, North thru-Puget Sound to Vancouver, and up into Alaska. No Intracoastal on the West Coast.
On the East Coast they're regularly run from New Brunswick to Miami, Bahamas, and even down to Venezuela. Before you get all excited about that- I recently sold a 89 Wellcraft 43' Portifino Express to a guy in Curacao and he ran it on it's bottom there from Miami- with NO problems in the summertime! That's a bay boat in my opinion, but you can't argue with success.
Most of the people who buy these Pilothouses are moving up from a smaller Bayliner product and already know all about them. They really sell themselves.
There's a HUGE Bayliner owners site with much information on them at "baylinerownersclub.org. Over and out.
That's it over and out.
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilothouse king View Post
I have a site dedicated to Pilothouse boats, and a page dedicated to Bayliner and Meridian History and Updates, along with one for construction details.
ALSO another one of scanned print ads from back in the pre-internet days. I find it historically interesting as to prices back then.

Would love to see links to those sites, PilotHouseKing. I bet I'm not the only one.

Thanks,
Shantyhag
Old 09-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #27
Guru

City: St. Lucie VILLAGE -NOT- Port St. Lucie!!!!!
Vessel Model: 15' Hobie Power Skiff w/90hp Yamaha-owned 28 years. Also a 2001 Bayliner 3788 that I took in trade
Apparently because I'm a broker, the powers to here decreed the link advertising, and eliminated it, and suggested I use GOOGLE to advertise on this site. Nope, not advertising, just posted a link to a page about these boats. I thought people would get a kick out of old ads too. I have no trawlers for sale, well just now one, but at $995k, didn't think the buyer is here on a forum. Not trolling. Sorry to intrude. Over and OUT for good.
pilothouse king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #28
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Hmmm.....I didn't get the feeling/impression at all Mr. pk was trying to advertise or sell anything. Seems he would have been a resource from the business side of things just like Ms. Judy and Mr. Tucker.....Shame.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #29
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Hmmm.....I didn't get the feeling/impression at all Mr. pk was trying to advertise or sell anything. Seems he would have been a resource from the business side of things just like Ms. Judy and Mr. Tucker.....Shame.
I agree! I don't see much difference between the "pilot House King" and "GalaxyGirl." Could have been interesting.
Old 09-10-2013, 08:03 PM   #30
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Anyone who uses "over and out" even as a joke...see ya!!!!!!
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #31
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. psneeld. Disagree!
Old 09-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #32
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. psneeld. Disagree!
That's OK...I've just learned through the years about people that use certain catch phrases....

Even then 2 different people can use the same one and it makes a huge difference..depending on their personality...

Coupled with the whining post....and the catch phrase....I have a sneaking suspicion....

But truly amazingly enough...I have been incorrect before....
Old 09-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #33
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Wow. Just wow. His post was was not and will not be edited. All I did was check the box that said "approve post" and deleted his duplicate post as per his request via PM.

Via that very brief PM sent from my phone I offered him a couple lines explaining the software and a pat reply about advertising IF interested(a very common follow up question in my experience). Apparently that must have led to this misunderstanding.

I accept full responsibility for the poor communication that led to this misunderstanding and publicly apologize as it obviously offended you. That was not the intent.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Guys, I've known Pilothouse king for many years over on the Bayliner Owners Club. Over a decade.

He is a character like we all are. He also absolutely knows his boat market, and knows boats from a what sells, what boat models have problems at survey, etc...

His posts don't always make owners happy, especially if they have an unrealistic value on their boat, but I've found them to be informative and accurate.

I'm glad he found TF finally.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #35
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
If you're a boating industry salesperson, it's a fine line between participating as a forum member and advertising your wares.

I respect the forums guidelines and who knows, maybe he wasn't interested in participating solely as a forum member. I would have enjoyed seeing the information he amassed concerning Meridian and Bayliner boats.

They were a local Washington manufacture for many years.

PS: If you want to view the old ads and information he was talking about, he placed the link at the bottom of his personal information page. Double click on his name in his last post to see it. Maybe that was the confusion on his part??
Old 09-11-2013, 08:43 AM   #36
Veteran Member

City: Port of Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Out-A-Sight
Vessel Model: 1993 Bayliner 4588
Kevin great video of your boat. We have seen bits and pieces of your boat during the rebuild but have not seen the finished project. Excellent job! Your project has inspired me to add some more goodies to my boat.
knuckelbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:59 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckelbuster View Post
Kevin great video of your boat. We have seen bits and pieces of your boat during the rebuild but have not seen the finished project. Excellent job! Your project has inspired me to add some more goodies to my boat.
Thanks very much! Its been a process.

The next project is stabilizers. I've bounced the idea around several times, but never moved beyond the planning stage. The problem is getting decent fiberglass work done in Seward Alaska.

What I've learned is that stabilizers arent about seaworthiness, they are about comfort. My boat is plenty seaworthy. The challenge is that in my cruising area I face an almost constant beam sea.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
Guys, I've known Pilothouse king for many years over on the Bayliner Owners Club. Over a decade.
Kevin, not sure what if anything happened behind the scenes there, but I would love to check out his sites. He had this link posted on his profile:

http://meridianpilothouse.com/meridian-bayliner-pilothouse-motoryacht-history/

But if the links to the other sites are available at the bayliner forum you mentioned I would love to see them... any chance you could post them?

Thanks,
Shanty

[EDIT: I edited the above link to direct to the history portion of his site rather than the front/sales page]
Old 09-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantyhag View Post

Kevin, not sure what if anything happened behind the scenes there, but I would love to check out his sites. He had this link posted on his profile:

http://meridianpilothouse.com/meridian-bayliner-pilothouse-motoryacht-history/

But if the links to the other sites are available at the bayliner forum you mentioned I would love to see them... any chance you could post them?

Thanks,
Shanty

[EDIT: I edited the above link to direct to the history portion of his site rather than the front/sales page]

The only site he has that I know of is www.baylinerpilothouse.com

Even though he specializes in selling bayliner pilothouse boats, there is a ton of information on these boats that lodes not exist anywhere else.

Just an FYI if others read this, and think that I'm in cahoots with pilothouse king. I am not. I am not in the boat business, in any shape or form. I work in the electrical and industrial telecommunications industries, not the boat industry.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #40
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
The only site he has that I know of is www.baylinerpilothouse.com

Even though he specializes in selling bayliner pilothouse boats, there is a ton of information on these boats that lodes not exist anywhere else.

Just an FYI if others read this, and think that I'm in cahoots with pilothouse king. I am not. I am not in the boat business, in any shape or form. I work in the electrical and industrial telecommunications industries, not the boat industry.
I know you are lying...never met an Alaskan with only one job...

Unless you work for the government...and even then your second job is recreational salmon/halibut fishing to keep the freezer full...