Batten down the hatches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unclematt

Vessel Name
Seaview
Vessel Make
Sundowner 32
Stopped at Gaines Marina Rouses Point NY on Lake Champlain due to a building wind yesterday. Today the wind has been averaging 30 plus with a peak gust of 42 out of the South. Tomorrow looks about the same with rain. I spent last weekend at Burlington Harbor Marina where the wind was a steady 30 out of the North. The wind in this lake is no joke.

At least you're at a good spot. Gaines is a nice marina. Last I knew, owned and run by a family from Maine.

I'm learning that myself, have not had the nice days on the weekends to go exploring the lake yet. I'm hoping that it starts calming down soon so we can get out there. No sense for us in going out making the crew miserable. This is the last weekend we have shoreside obligations other than work during the week for the summer.

I've been exploring Navionics for sheltered bays and holes to anchor in for when we get out there.

One of the exceedingly nice things about Lake Champlain is the ability to anchor sheltered from the wind. Other than taking day moorings (free in Burlington), an occasional overnight mooring, and leaving the boat for a week at Champlain Marina in Mallets Bay, I anchored out for the rest of the 2 months I was there. With so many places to see, walk, hike, and swim, it becomes a game of "where haven't I been" and having a list for where I want to go when the wind blows from this direction.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom