Bahamas Reopening July 1st?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
OPENING UP: PM sets target date of July 1 to reopen borders | The Tribune

I've read a number of different interpretations of this. To me it sounds pretty straight forward, they want to reopen the borders to international travel by July 1st. No guarantee, but that is the plan.

Others have read it as meaning allowing Bahamians to travel between islands on July 1st. They have also read "commercial traffic" to mean something other than people coming in from the US on their boats for vacation.

What do you guys think?

I read commercial travel, no personal transportation yet.

I read commercial travel, no personal transportation yet.

Could very well be. No specifics yet, obviously. But being the optimist that I am, I see this as a step in the right direction.

The realistic part of me also realizes that this, along with Dorian has put the Bahamas in a position where they can't survive much longer without tourism. It is quite literally the only thing separating them from being a third world economy along the lines of Haiti or possibly the DR.

I love the Bahamas and the Bahamian people, I want them to be safe and respect their decision to keep the country closed. But I know they can't hold out for long. I just hope when they do open back up that they won't see a big spike.

In the Abacos at least, I think Dorian will keep the crowding to a minimum for a while. A lot of the infrastructure that supported tourism there (rental homes, rental boats, golf carts, bars etc) has not been rebuilt yet, so I just don't see tons of people pouring in this summer. Aside from the few of us that have cruising boats where would they all stay? Even a lot of cruisers won't go over if they can't spend most of their vacation in a marina.

Not so sure about the other islands though. Bimini could get flooded.

This is from the US Embassy. I couldn’t find anything official from the Bahamian Government but they do talk about seaports.

Reopening of international borders to visitors:  The Bahamas announced its plan to reopen its borders to visitors effective July 1.  Until such time, all airports and seaports remain closed to visitors (including private airports).  The Embassy will provide updates when further details may become available from the Bahamian government.

https://bs.usembassy.gov/health-alert-u-s-embassy-nassau-the-bahamas-june-5-2020/

I read somewhere yesterday they were opening for boats June 15th. But you have to carry documentation of a virus test you've have gotten within the last 10 days

Just got this email from The Association of Bahamas Marina's.

Bahamas Boating Returns!
The Government of The Bahamas has officially announced that the borders will open to international travel for private boaters and private aviation on June 15, 2020.

Hotels and vacation rentals will start reopening on July 1st for international travelers along with international air travel. Domestic travel resumed on June 8th.

We know many of you are as eager to get back to The Bahamas as we are eager to see you all again, but of course, travel routines have changed. Please take note of all the new health and safety protocols now required for entry into and stays within The Islands of The Bahamas.

Negative Covid-19 tests are required for travel June 15-30, 2020. Click on image below for details and full list of boating requirements for the time period of June 15-30, 2020.

As of today, no testing will be required after June 30th, but this is subject to change. We will continue to update details as they are announced.

Referenced link below:

https://bahamasmarinas.com/procedures-and-protocols/

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom