Bad oil sample

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andrewc

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Avalon
Vessel Make
Present 46
I am going through the survey process and the oil samples came back questionable. Some work had been done to aftercoolers and heat exchangers but no oil change was done after this work was completed. The broker is suggesting the oil be changed and new samples run. The only curve in this process is that due to health issues the owner is unable to take the boat out for the 10-12 hours needed prior to a new sample being done. They are suggesting that it be run at the dock, in gear, so there is a load, at 1200-1400 rpm. Would this be adequate?

Ask the owner to hire a captain to run the boat for proper testing.

It is a lot cheaper for him than what it'll cost if the boat pulls a cleat during that time. Also, depending upon the slip, it could fill the strainers with junk, and neighbors won't like that much smoke and noise. And, who is making sure it runs for 12hrs versus just ignition on and hours meter?

What type of engine is it? What is the normal cruise rpm? What is the top end?

The dock is actually at his house. No close neighbors. The engines are 1997 Diamond series Cummins. I Think 430 hp each. I'm not certain about normal cruise. WOT is 2600rpm

I'm finding it hard to imagine giving 860hp of engine a work out at the dock. I'm thinking of things like turbos, getting the heat up for the coolers, etc.

Adequate? Maybe, if it is really done. I guess I just don't like the idea.

Can you post the oil sample? What was bad about it?

Last edited:
Oil samples are attached,(hopefully)

Attachments

• starboard oil.pdf
    17.4 KB · Views: 44
  • port oil.pdf
    17.4 KB · Views: 33
Would the owner permit you and the broker to go put the hours on the boat?

Quite possibly a great scenario…no cost to the owner, problems get identified or eliminated, boat machinery gets exercised, you get a great sea trial.

Any problems identified will need to be fixed or taken into consideration $$$ - may as well address them sooner than later. Who buys the boat makes no difference.

Good Luck

On a boat like that, if it is run hard, it wears hard. Those metals may be a sign of that vs impending failure.

The big concern I have is the antifreeze in the one engine. That probably shoukd be tracked down.

Were the oil samples take properly? Engine warmed and run for some time? Sample taken from mid level just after shut down? Care taken not to get crud on the sampling tube tips etc etc? It may be worth double checking the procedure then sending out another sample of the same oil. I have been doing oil sampling for 25 years on aircraft and can say that how the sample is taken can drastically change the reading. So much so that if we get a sample back with odd readings we always do a resample for verification prior to making any real assessments or oil changes or parts changes. Cant tell you how many have initially had a strange result only to resample paying close attention to sampling protocol and then getting a normal reading. On the other hand we have also pulled engines off the pylon solely on sampling as well.

Back
Top Bottom