Backup Camera doubling as security Cam

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
All,

Shopping for a camera that will double as a security camera. Just want a light (strobe or bright light) and a sound to scare off intruders. Don't need recording.

The issue with most of the household security cameras is they have a lag in the picture of several seconds which won't work for a backup camera, otherwise, they're great. Arlo and Ring have delays.

Also posted on AGLCA. Thx

Pictured is the inexpensive analog camera I installed on our back deck for use as a rear-view camera. It is real time with no noticeable delay that
I can tell. We use it for situational awareness while traveling the ICW since 99% of the powerboat traffic overtakes us!
We also have large,rear-facing mirrors but the camera does a better job at the lower station.
We dont use it as a security camera but, as an added benefit, folks walking the dock assumed it was (while installing the camera when we were backed into a slip at a marina in SC, passersby inquired if I was installing a security system. I didn't think it would hurt to let them keep thinking it was part of a system).

Attachments

• zosi.jpg
    zosi.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 39
I have 2 Arlo cams at home and the delay is maybe 1 second at most. I don’t see where that should be a problem with backing. You won’t be going fast enough.

I’ve found that only wired cameras are sufficiently reliable to work as live cameras when maneuvering. Cheap, wireless cameras had internet requirements, pairing hassles, and image delays that made them unacceptable.

I’ve used Axis brand IP cameras and been generally happy, especially for onboard monitoring, since they integrate with many MFDs and nav software applications. Initial setup is finicky and way more time consuming than cheap wireless cameras. Then you have to keep a PC running and connected to the internet to do anything with the video remotely.

I use the $300-$400 LOREX brand DVRs sold at Costco. They go on discounted sale often. I have a 6 camera system. They are wired but it is just 1 cable for power and video signal so very easy to run to most locations. I put 2 in the engine room, 1 on the mast facing forward, 1 in the cockpit (back up camera) and 1 each in pilot house and saloon. There is really no lag. They have a lot of cool features and I have a recording of many days (maybe weeks) of activity if I need to look back. They even can send alerts if they see a "person" in the frame (and generally it seems to be reliable without a lot of false alarms. An added bonus is they have remote web viewing with no fees. Of course you need a decent internet connection for that but I share an LTE router with the DVR, my Victron stuff and some temp/humidity monitors I buy off of Amazon. Planning to connect even more but at the moment I have a pretty good 24x7 monitoring solution. I can log into the mast camera to see sky conditions, the Victron reports all my battery/shore power conditions and that back up camera has proven invaluable as I have no rear visibility from the cockpit. Highly recommend this setup. Have had the camera on the mast exposed to the elements for 2 years and no problem. Maybe it won't last forever but the entire system was cheaper than most available "marine" cameras. Now I need to find how to get a low cost infrared for night vision!

I should add that the LOREX system setup is extremely simple (but needs a hard wired internet port on the cell router). No PC required and relatively low power consumption although my boat is always on shore power at the dock.

I installed a Armcrest POE camera system from Amazon. It's a PITA to pull the cables but there is no noticable lag. I installed four cameras (sold as a kit) and can add four more. If I want I can connect it to my wifi network router (cabled) opening up access remotely through a phone app. I also can record, I can setup zones for alarm triggers, etc. I would imagine a Lorex would be similar. Night vision is actually pretty good.

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0363.jpg

IMG_0362.jpg

Last edited:
For those with the NVR based setups, what's the power draw you're seeing in real-world use? Power draw is the biggest thing that's kept me away from a setup like that so far.

Steve, Do you have one of these and can you comment. They don't have really good reviews.

Do not have. Considering. The idea came from our cars all have these tiny camera for backup which provide a good wide angle rear view.

Back
Top Bottom