Old 03-04-2016, 12:00 PM   #1
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Back in the water...Exciting day!

Today is an exciting day for us. In an hour or so we'll be back in the water! When we bought the Selene we knew it was, to some extents, a project to get a boat that had sat idle for six years back in prime shape. The big item this winter was rebuilding the Cummins. Thats now finished, and heres hoping it starts

If all remains on schedule we'll be on the move again in a week. Leaving Charleston and going to Savannah for a bit of a shakedown and to celebrate St. Patricks day down there.
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:11 PM   #2

City: Southern Baltic
Vessel Name: Sømarken
Vessel Model: AMS 40'
Congrats. We will go out in two weeks from now for the first time after three years having a long to do list ...
' Hand breit Wasser unter dem Kiel!

best regards / med venlig hilsen
wadden
Old 03-04-2016, 12:47 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Great to hear, Harry! I didn't even know you were rebuilding the beast. Was the rebuild job brought on by sitting idle for 6 years without being pickled?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:36 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Great to hear, Harry! I didn't even know you were rebuilding the beast. Was the rebuild job brought on by sitting idle for 6 years without being pickled?
After cooler core failed and started leaking small amount of saltwater which made it way into #6 cylinder. We first noticed that with the IR thermometer along the valve cover the last cylinder was 10 deg hotter than the rest. So we had Cummins pull the top end off and check it out.

Turns out the after cooler has a zinc in the top and one in the bottom. They removed the top zinc and used that connection to supply raw water for the stabilizers. Sure enough ten years later the top of the core failed. Now it has two zincs again and we've reworked the stabilizer raw water intake.

At purchase time, we knew we were doing a top end job within 2 years of buying the boat. We had budgeted for it, so this didn't hurt the wallet as much as it could have.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:53 PM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Old 03-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #6

congrats on getting your boat back,happy cruising!!!
tinped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:41 PM   #7
Guru

City: gulf coast
Interesting, my Cummins never seemed to erode the top zinc probably because it was only in water when actually running. How many hours on the engine?
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:06 PM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Interesting, my Cummins never seemed to erode the top zinc probably because it was only in water when actually running. How many hours on the engine?

2700 over ten years. But mostly idle in the last six. The mechanic said the top and bottom zincs will erode at vastly different rates, but guess it's there for a reason, exhibit "a" being our engine