Back Cove Boats - any experience with them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's the other way around. Back Cove is the lower line of the Sabre.

Still solid built boats. Just more cookie cutter with none of the labor intensive fine joinery woodwork. Very plain down below.

Still solid built boats. Just more cookie cutter with none of the labor intensive fine joinery woodwork. Very plain down below.

Oh I agree. I have always been a fan!!! And they still aren't cheap either.

HA! Never believe a boat salesman!:lol:

This saying comes to mind...

"How can you tell if a salesman was lying"? "His lips were moving."

I wouldn't call Back Cove inferior to Sabre. They're essentially two brands within one company and I think it's safe to call them both premium. If you like the look of one and it fits your use case and budget you should feel comfortable buying it.

I haven't followed recent history too closely, but was selling their sailboats when Sabre introduced their first power boat. When they bought Back Cove not too long after that the Sabre folks were excited to bring aboard some real expertise in advanced composites. BC had some cool small boats. They've done a nice job since with developing the brand alongside Sabre. I really like them, and they've continued to innovate and refine the category.

Last edited:
Very nice boats, but very big bucks. I looked at several and finally bought a used 2007 Mainship Pilot 43. About half the price and twice the size. Much more living space and will cruise at 18k with a top end of 23k, but will use a lot more fuel. I cruise at 8k and average 4gph.

That Pilot 43 is a very nice boat!!

Back Cove 37

Hello

We purchased a 2011 Back Cove 37 two years ago and are very happy with the comfort and performance of this boat. We previously owed Sabre sailboats so are familiar with the brand. I have no issues with the boat but our experience is that these boats are very popular and if you find an attractive boat, do not take too much time in making an offer. We lost 2 boats with more attractive counter offers within a few days. Good luck.

I would love to upgrade to a Backcove41. This would make a great long range cruiser. My MS34 is nice but Back Cove is definitely a step up I have only heard positives from the few owners I have met

BackCove/Sabre have the same hull. Many do not like the hull slap noise at night if anchored out. Just be aware.

Back Coves

Sanibel Marina sells several new and used Back Coves a year, mostly to existing customers who have been with them for years.

Myton or Liz are extremely knowledgeable and can answer any questions you may have.:)

https://www.sanibelmarina.com/

BackCove/Sabre have the same hull. Many do not like the hull slap noise at night if anchored out. Just be aware.

Most/many planing hull boats have this issue...it is not just a BC issue. I know you probably know that and are just pointing it out. My Current boat(Meridian), has it pretty badly. I think also the shape of the interior is an issue as well. My Meridian is cavernous with wood floors so it is an echo chamber. I can hear it through the entire boat.

I had a flag blue gelcoat boat. I’ll never do that again.
Ditto! I had a Halvorsen 32 that had a blue hull and although I loved the boat, the fading hull was a giant PITA!

Attachments

• SeaHorse ii.jpg
    SeaHorse ii.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 34
The Pilots come standard with electronic bug zappers! ;)
My "bug Zapper" was so powerful I found a Humming Bird in it! :blush:

bug zappers

My "bug Zapper" was so powerful I found a Humming Bird in it! :blush:

OK, here we go. Anybody ever trapped an EAGLE in their zapper???:rofl:

I work part time as a delivery captain and have moved many Back Coves in the waters you describe..

They are “honest” vessels and from what I understand would fit your intended purpose well.

In answer to the issue of the fading gelcoat hull color - the dealer we purchased our new BC32 from orders all spec boats white. Then at purchase, the price includes having the hull painted with Awlcraft 2000 in the owner’s choice of color.

One of the issues with colored hull boats is that they are finished in Awlgrip! Awlgrip SPECIFICALLY states that you not compound and wax the hull. And guess what....everybody compunds and waxes the hull....hence the issues you hear about.

One of the issues with colored hull boats is that they are finished in Awlgrip! Awlgrip SPECIFICALLY states that you not compound and wax the hull. And guess what....everybody compunds and waxes the hull....hence the issues you hear about.

That's a great point and so true. Same goes for Imron and AlexSeal. At the very most, and to be avoided if you can, a glaze like Finesse-It II with a sealant like Rejex or AwlCare. But if you just maintain with AwlWash (or the like) and AwlCare the paint will last a long time.

I am maintaining my red Awlcraft painted hull with Awlwash and Awlcare and my Antique White gelcoated topsides with Permanon. HOWEVER, when Hurricane Michael got done etching on the hull, I resorted to a professional to buff the scratches where that could be done and to repaint where it was not possible to buff it out. Two thousand bucks to the whole job, and you cannot find where the new paint was blended in and where the buffing was done. I watched as he used an air-powered disk sander with a 3000-grit pad followed up by buffing with a 3-M compound. So buffing Awlcraft, while not advised for you and me, is quite doable by an expert.

Rich, I think it’s doable by just about anyone. But it lessens the life of the shine. Yours was a special case. But there is a chance that particular part of the boat will age differently than the rest. Who knows.

I agree w rgano and caltexflanc...
Care is pretty easy if you follow recommendations.
Is the ability to buff and wax gelcoat really an advantage when you have to do it to keep it looking good?
Awlgrip & Awlcraft different systems each with +/-
Awlcraft can be buffed infrequently if/where reqd.
Awlcare is reasonably priced, goes a long way, EZ to apply by hand as recommended and looks good.
Gelcoat oxidizes, fades and gets porous and harder to maintain and difficult to match spot repairs unless done by a real pro.
There are +/- of both and no clear winner IMO

Don't lose sight of the fact that it was NOT the Awlcraft being buffed but rather the clear coat over the top of it. New clear coat was applied where new paint was required. I am not afraid to tackle just about any job on a boat, but the thought of me trying to correct hull blemishes and not ending up with a mess is totally daunting.

I am not sure about this, but I have never seen a twin engine Back Cove boat... Most that I've seen are single engined Cummins powered boats with 250-320 nm range.

I am not sure about this, but I have never seen a twin engine Back Cove boat... Most that I've seen are single engined Cummins powered boats with 250-320 nm range.

If one is interested, it is easy to get information about Back Coves. Go to https://www.backcoveyachts.com/

They are all have single diesel engines with straight shafts. Recently (like other companies making similar boats) they have introduced outboard powered boats. The 34O interior is very similar to the 32. Likewise the 39O is similar to the 37. Both have twin outboards and are about 10 knots faster than the single diesel engine versions.

They offer a variety of diesel engines. As an example, the 32 can be powered with a Volvo D6 370 MHP, Volvo D6 435 MHP, Yanmar 8LV 370 MHP, or
Cummins QSB-SL6.7 425 MHP.

The 32 has a 185 gallon fuel tank and range will obviously depend on speed. With the Volvo 435 the range using 90% of fuel will be 229 nm @3200 rpm (recommended cruise) with a speed on 24.8 kts. At 1200 rpm and 7.2 kts, the range is 1090 nm.

I was at Ireland last week and Myton never mentioned your boat. It looks great. Can you sell it privately? I live in Punta Gorda and just sold my Selene 53.

PM sent

Back
Top Bottom