Old 06-15-2020, 06:32 PM   #1

Average Length of Time Boat Owned

Howdy all,

I am located in the PNW.

My enjoyment of the Trawler world has been by Charter only and not Ownership.
As I have gathered information from this Forum on possible make and model for ownership it seems clear that most folks tend to buy and sell more than one boat as they move through ownership.

I'm curious what the average time of ownership is of a given boat prior to change?
landshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:39 PM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I only have had one trawler and expect to keep it 15 years, not a boat flipper.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 06:39 PM   #3
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Landshort,
I have owned 2 boats so far (no plans to change that). First was a sailboat for 11 plus years. Sold that due to a health issue (foot problem) with my wife, and bought the trawler. Plan to retire from boating by selling this trawler sometime in the future.
I think this is a totally personal thing, and will vary greatly for many reasons.
The least expensive way is to get your last boat first!
Old 06-15-2020, 07:26 PM   #4
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
First was a 22 C-Dory (7 years). Next a Bounty 257 (18 years). Now a 37 Nordic Tug (4 years so far, many more to come).
"Cruising in a Big Way"
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Turtle
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
We had a Bayliner 3587 for seven years and are about to commission a North Pacific 45, which we jokingly call our “20 year boat”.

When we bought our first boat we didn’t have a good idea of what we wanted. We really didn’t want to spend a fortune, so we got a cheaper boat and applied ourselves to learning. After seven years and several hundred hours, we have a much better idea of what we want in a trawler.

Hard to imagine upgrading from the 45, but I suppose you never know.
Shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:56 PM   #6
Guru

City: Trenton
I had a Catalina sailboat for 5 years and have the MT34 for 27 years.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:04 PM   #7
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Had a variety of small sailboats and outboards for 20 years.

First big boat was a 1981 Mainship 34 that we had for 15 years.

We sold that in 2000 and bought a 1976 Bluewater 40 Trawler which we've had for 20 years.

The Bluewater is our final boat and we hope to boat for at least another 15 years until we are in our mid 80's. If our health allows it.

The less boats bought and sold is a less expensive way to boat. Every boat purchase and sale require expenses, fees and commission, that are not recovered. Then you have all the equipment that is replaced or installed on the purchased boat. And finally the depreciation when you sell.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 08:12 PM   #8
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
We owned our first trawler, a Gulfstar 36, for eight years, and we are now close to 8 years on our Mainship 400. No plans to sell it any time soon, but we may change when we retire in 3 to 5 years.

Interestingly, I bought my flats boat (an 1820 Action Craft) new when I was guiding and it is close to 20 years old now, though I have replaced the motor and the trailer. I think I will keep it for quite a while longer. It's currently worth almost exactly what I paid for it in 2001. I guided with it for 12 or 13 years, so it's been a great investment. That's not something you can say about a boat very often.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:04 PM   #9

As Firehoser75 says “the least expensive way is to get your last boat first”.
Great advice!
We have looked at everything from Nordhavn to Nordic Tug. Sure is fun looking!
Our Chartering has helped define what would work best for us as well.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:18 PM   #10
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Owned by us and not a parent?

First a Hobie Cat. 3 years in the UK before we left for America.

When we moved to Florida in 2000 bought a Silverton 40 Aft Cabin September 2001 and had it for 14 glorious family years.

Donated that to a Boys Home.

Now Sonas, fifth season. Will keep until we are ready to downsize to a Sabre 48 or similar. Probably in about 12-15 years.

Will put us in our mid-seventies. Maybe ten years with the downeaster if we keep in good health. Then, who knows.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:48 PM   #11

Dougcole,
We chartered a Mainship for 2 weeks couple years ago on a trip in the San Juan and Gulf islands, had a great time. Boat functioned well, was roomy and comfortable. Have you taken yours to Bahamas?
Old 06-15-2020, 09:59 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
We are on our 23rd boat. The longest we have ever kept a boat was 8 years, but we had another boat during that time. I still look for number 24 but we will probably stick with the current boat until we have to move to something like the dreaded pontoon boat...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 10:12 PM   #13
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
It varies so from person to person and to type of boat.

On the lake I averaged 7 years per boat. Went from 17 to 30' over the years.

In 2012 we moved to the coast and every boat we've purchased then and since, we still have except a boat we bought to do the loop and then a couple of years later got an offer we couldn't refuse and we didn't need it at that time. Our plan was 7 years and 10 years depending on size. Well, the boat we planned on keeping 7 years, we've now had 8 and no plans of getting rid of it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 11:01 PM   #14
Guru

City: Port Townsend and La Paz
Vessel Name: Domino and Libra
Vessel Model: Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
I apparently learned how to buy boats in 1978 and have honed my skills many times since.
They forgot the chapter on selling boats and I have never sold a single vessel. It is beyond ridiculous at this point, even I agree.

I have a little expedition planned for this coming weekend that involves my first boat, a 1959 aluminum 14' Canadian made Thornes powered by a 1980 OMC 9.9 HP outboard. This vessel is so much smaller than the mountain of fun that is has been responsible for and with both boat and motor still going quite strong, I expect to add to that mountain in a couple of days. That boat should write a book.....
Added some flip down wheels to the transom this past weekend(among some other projects on her) for her new role in the saltwater.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:11 PM   #15
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
The question looks odd to me.
Would be similar to ask how long on average before your divorce or how long on average do you keep your house before selling it.
Pretty sure there is no average and as many answers as there are trawler owners.

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:09 AM   #16

City: Port Orchard, WA
Vessel Name: Isobel K
Vessel Model: 37' Custom Pilothouse
bought her in 2002.

I figured if I got 20 years out of her, I could justify the cost.

Just had an insurance survey and the value went up 10% versus the last survey 9 years ago.

I may get more years than I thought.
bshanafelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 01:21 AM   #17
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
During my many decades of boating I've owned numerous boats. Seldom one at a time. Three right now... one for 12 years, one for ten years, one for one year.

I become owner of a boat when it "speaks" to me. Sometimes I sell em when their "speaking" stops making very much sense. Sometimes I sell them for other reasons... like another boat begins speaking even more clearly to me... and, I need to make room for its presence.

I listen to what a boat may be loudly saying or what they might need to say to me. Sometimes their communication path to me starts with a whisper. Occasionally they may whisper to me different times during a span of years before I become ready to purchase and spend time in ongoing conversation

You see, IMO: Most boats do actually have a soul... a female soul. Although I do know of some waterborne craft with male souls. I completely prefer those with female souls!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 05:42 AM   #18
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Well, I have owned Weebles, my Willard 36 for 22-years and have no plans to sell her. That is an outlier though.

When I was an active delivery skipper in the late 1990's through 2004, about half my business was delivering Nordhavns. For some reason, there was a predictable pattern of boat ownership for owners. They bought the boat (or had it built), spent a year getting ready for an adventure, then headed off for about 2-years. By then, they had accomplished what they set out to do and were ready for something else. So many seemed to own their boat for around 4-5 years. Some moved to larger boats (often Nordhavn). But many had shore-side responsibilities to attend to - aging parents, grandchildren, etc.

I'd also guess that asking folks like myself and others who respond on a forum like this is probably going to draw a skewed answer. Many responses are from posters with very high post-counts and are hopelessly afflicted with a rare form of fiberglass virus that causes ownership derangement.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 06:26 AM   #19
Guru

About 14 years for the last 2.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 07:49 AM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Buy a boat too small, then make small 2 foot jumps, and the answer will be every few years. Buy a large enough boat and make decent sized jumps and the answer will be a longer number of years.

If you want a 35 but settle for a 30, you will outgrow it. If you outgrow the 30, don't buy a 33.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote