Average Length of Time Boat Owned

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have had 17 boats since I was 14, am now 61 so 1 every 2.7 years. Some of them were at the same time, so the turnover rate is a bit lower. I think the longest ownership might have been ten years, and the shortest about 3 years. Almost half were wood, and most entailed a fairly heavy restoration. Only about 5 were new. Oldest was built in 1938. 4 were sail, rest were power.
Best,
Maldwin

I have had 17 boats since I was 14, am now 61 so 1 every 2.7 years. Some of them were at the same time, so the turnover rate is a bit lower. I think the longest ownership might have been ten years, and the shortest about 3 years. Almost half were wood, and most entailed a fairly heavy restoration. Only about 5 were new. Oldest was built in 1938. 4 were sail, rest were power.
Best,
Maldwin

Wifey B: Maybe if you'd done better due diligence. :rofl: (sorry, couldn't resist after above post).

Your love for boats is a lot like ours except we don't do wood and restorations. However, you're a knowledgeable boater, knowledgeable buyer, who just has liked a lot of boats. :D

First, I'd say that this group is not representative of most boat owners. I think this group will skew toward much longer ownership than average. Brokers will tell you, probably honestly, that 3-5 years is a typical ownership window. In my case, the last boat was 3.5 years.

We have owned our 1985 52 foot Vista Motor Yacht for 35 years. We are original owners, raised 6 kids, cruised extensively and still love Candle Light. We are currently out of Rhode Island and love cruising New England waters

21 ft Sea Ray for 12 years, Pearson 39 sail for 8 years, 40' Transpacific Trawler for 1 year going on 20. My kids will probably have to figure out what to do with the Trawler, lol.

My personal

12’ Starcraft motorboat - 5 yrs
15’ silver line POS - 3 yrs
20’ sea ray - 5 yrs
33’ carver - 3 yrs
40’ trawler - 26 yrs
(Not counting 6 yrs picking up hulks from the river bank and rowing/bailing with crew....)
Don’t regret a day

We started with a 24 sailboat in 1971 sold Pax 12 years later. Went boatless for a few years then in 1993, bought a 17 foot Peterborough center console to chase my son while he raced his Opti, Byte then Laser. Sold it in 2003. About 2000 we added another boat. We acquired my parents boat C&C Corvette which they had from new. We purchased our trawler last fall and just parted with Windflower a week ago.
Our Island Gypsy 32, Moon Dragon, is a registered Canadian vessel. How long do we plan to keep her? One name we considered was “Last Dance”.

Current boat - Fleming 55, bought new in 2003. No plans to divorce her...

3-5 years. Why:
I could never buy my last boat first. The boating mission changed.

Many only have the two happiest days whether it is a thing just tried or a lifetime passion. Others go through phases of water missions that Require different boats in order to meet the new mission. Missions can change with age, family size, location, finances, desires, experience and so on.

Avoid the wrong boat by honestly identifying your 90% use mission. Then look at boats that will meet that Mission. Simple. Then you will have the right boat.

Reasons people sell boats at all: Marriage dissolution, others don’t share the passion as hoped, did not get a pre-buy survey done and got in over their head financially, Mission changed, or wanted to change. Could not afford to buy enough boat, so settled For less. 4-foot-itis. (Want or need four more feet) Family room needs. To downsize.

Types of boating mission: Water skiing, wakeboarding, jet skiing, fishing, lake only, river only, ocean capable, sailboating, fast boating, weekend boating, extended exploring, live aboard, passage making, commercial boating, retirement pleasure boating and so on.

I have done all these and loved it all, at the time. Comfortable efficient trawler cruising for retirement is what we like now. West Coast to Alaska. Eventually the great loop.

Last edited:
3-5 years. Why:
I could never buy my last boat first. The boating mission changed.

Many only have the two happiest days whether it is a thing just tried or a lifetime passion. Others go through phases of water missions that Require different boats in order to meet the new mission. Missions can change with age, family size, location, finances, desires, experience and so on.

Avoid the wrong boat by honestly identifying your 90% use mission. Then look at boats that will meet that Mission. Simple. Then you will have the right boat.

Reasons people sell boats at all: Marriage dissolution, others don’t share the passion as hoped, did not get a pre-buy survey done and got in over their head financially, Mission changed, or wanted to change. Could not afford to buy enough boat, so settled For less. 4-foot-itis. (Want or need four more feet) Family room needs. To downsize.

Types of boating mission: Water skiing, wakeboarding, jet skiing, fishing, lake only, river only, ocean capable, sailboating, fast boating, weekend boating, extended exploring, live aboard, passage making, commercial boating, retirement pleasure boating and so on.

I have done all these and loved it all, at the time. Comfortable efficient trawler cruising for retirement is what we like now. West Coast to Alaska. Eventually the great loop.

Very well put! Thanks!!

Other reasons people sell boats after a short ownership:

Bought the wrong boat for their needs. Had a friend who purchased a sundeck boat because of the large stateroom and large outdoor sundeck. Realized on their first couple trips that their bulldog could'nt climb the ladder on to the boat. Boat sold and bought a sedan.

Another bought a larger boat than needed to have kids and grandkids along on cruises. Downsized after 3 years when they found that kids and grandkids didn't share their interest in boating.

Scared or embarrassed the family once too often. Many new boaters don't ease their family into boating and instead go on long runs or disregard weather before heading out. Several incidents of too long of a day running, big waves pitching, rolling and pounding the boat and other scary situations cause the wife and kids to refuse to go out anymore.

New boaters pinballing in the marina, yelling orders to the crew, blaming crew for embarrassing docking has led to family refusing to go out in the boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom