Autopilot woes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mahal

Guru
Took off today on a 4-hour trip and the autopilot would not engage. The unit is a Cetrek Powerhelm 770. When I push the "auto" button, it doesn't engage and a message "do rudder settings" appears. I don't know what it means since I don't have a manual nor could I find one. Also, the bearing display is 180 degrees off and the rudder position shows "stop" after the number 2 when I turn the wheel to both starboard and port. I was hoping that someone here might have a manual or familiar with this system.

Here's a link to the manual of a similar product. While the instructions and options may not be exactly the same, there should be similarities that help you make progress. I didn't see the 770 manual available online but didn't look too hard.

Thanks Greg. I came across that one too. I went through it again and found nothing that addressed my issue. The Cetrek 770 must not be very popular as I'm having a problem finding anything on it online.

Check connections, check the flux compass, Shut-off and restart. I opened up my old autopilot and hosed it down with Deoxit and now it works fine. Oh, if I put something metal on the dashboard the boat hangs a right turn. No more metal coffee cups!

Thanks Ken. I was going to chase wires today when we got back to port, but I only got as far as checking the rudder sensor to make sure it wasn't knocked out of position. I will check the flux compass next. 4 hours at the helm staring at the compass and chartplotter today made me lazy. I now understand why there are boaters out there with redundant autopilots.

Problem solved. I hope.

Just when I thought I've hit a wall, I came across an outfit called Dean Marine Electronics out of Jacksonville, Fl. I called and Buddy, the proprietor, was very helpful in explaining to me what maybe wrong with my AP and what I needed to do. He also emailed me a pdf of the manual for free. What amazing service and I was just asking if I could buy a manual.

What happened was that I lost all the settings in my unit, as if it were just installed and needed an initial set-up. I went through the rudder and compass set-up and it seems to be working now. But I'm left wondering how it got reset to factory settings in the first place, especially that the steps to accomplish that requires a series of button inputs including a simultaneous push of two buttons. I also wonder if it will lose the settings again. I guess time will tell.

Time to send Buddy a nice tip. Hope this helps those that might be in the same situation one day. Buddy also has some Cetrek parts (limited) and does repairs as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom