Old 10-07-2017, 02:40 PM   #21
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The wasps and mud dauber around here would love that thing, all sorts of nooks and crannies to build in.
I resemble that remark
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 03:41 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarditi View Post
Hi Guys,
The product is not for large Trawlers with easy bow access. The product was designed for cruisers up to 45' as they have bad bow access. We have a 31' cruiser and the advantage is that we can take it easily to any restaurant on the Delta and cruise without burning too much fuel at 27 mph. It is a great cruiser, we love it but it has bad bow access. We are experienced cruisers, live on the water, in good physical shape and still deploying these fenders was our biggest hassle cruising. This is a great solution for cruisers up to 45' not so much for the big Trawlers or very large sail boats. Thanks, Sam
I can see the need in your specific boat, the Bayliner Ciera. I was trying to see what the difference in need vs. a boat like our 44' Riva or even a 33' Riva. It appears your windshield and helm are well back leaving you with a very long deck area. The Bayliner also maintains width quite forward. I then looked at Sea Rays in the same size range and their helms and windshields are further forward too. So, although we've never felt the need, I guess I can see why you would feel it on your boat. Still not something I can see installing on a boat but if it works on yours, fine. I think very few boats would see the need but even if it helps a few, then it's served a purpose. Perhaps one day I'll see some on a boat and having discussed them here, I'm sure I'll make sure I look closely.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 04:39 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Thanks for adding to the conversation, Sam. For those who don't know Sam, he is the inventer/manufacturer of the product.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:42 PM   #24
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I had that same boat as the one in the video (I think the 2' shorter model.)

The video was sort of weak on the details of the "magic" involved, so I won't comment on that. Presumably a demo would clear up those questions.

On that boat, I'd have at least two different types of fenders for the bow. Both would be MUCH larger than that device could handle. They'd be deployed in different locations depending on what I was tying to. So for me, this wouldn't be an option.

On that boat, you'd need two fenders in hard-to-reach areas along the bow and side, so that's four of these devices.

I like the way you can bring them up to the rub rail for rafting (or for a high wall or lock.) I like that they're solar powered. I like that they swing in or out as needed to stay out of the way.

And I like that the developer is willing to answer questions here. Thanks!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:47 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Thanks for adding to the conversation, Sam. For those who don't know Sam, he is the inventer/manufacturer of the product.
Was pretty obvious. lol. He should have disclosed it though.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:48 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
On that boat, I'd have at least two different types of fenders for the bow. Both would be MUCH larger than that device could handle. They'd be deployed in different locations depending on what I was tying to. So for me, this wouldn't be an option.
I wondered about size too. Is there a larger version or one planned? The size shown might be good for the lake but not so much for some coastal settings.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:57 PM   #27
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
My first reaction was that it was a solution looking for a problem. That isn’t such a bad thing as I have done that a number of times.

Then I started to try and imagine my wife trying to go to the bow of that boat in the video and tie on fenders and I began to realize how nice it might be.

One issue is that for many of us we find the best place to store fenders isn’t necessarily the best place to deploy them.

On my boat, I used to hang a fender from the flybridge rail so it would hang about midway between the aft cockpit and the PH door. This was a bit of a hassle as it meant going up to the flybridge each time which was a bit of a hassle. This device would work well on my boat at that location and it would be completely out of the way.

Having said that... I wouldn’t choose to use on on my boat. I just place two fenders side by side in the stern and then the next one forward is just aft of the PH door. Works great and is easy.

I love to see innovation and hope they do well with the product.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 05:57 PM   #28

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
Seems like the perfect keep up with the guy next door product.
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:03 PM   #29

City: North NJ
Vessel Name: Bassey
Vessel Model: 17' Bass
If she says automatic fender one more time.... how silly. I imagined a air bag device for crash times
TowLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 06:09 PM   #30
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
I love gadgets but I think Gaston has it right, FFS. Too expensive for the amount that would be required, does not fit all height situations without adjustments, something else to break, doesn't save much or any time as many people in our area never lift them up. Waste of money IMO but somebody is sure to buy them.
Old 10-07-2017, 07:39 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Sorry, even IF they were practical, I would not hang those things off my bowrail.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:44 PM   #32
TF Site Team

I agree...not for everyone, but certainly not for no one.

Old 10-07-2017, 08:19 PM   #33

City: Discovery Bay
Vessel Name: Never Enough
Vessel Model: BayLiner Ciera
Hi Guys,
Let me provide few replies, I am the guy who developed them. I will just provide replies, no sales speech We NEVER expected them on every boat but they are definitely helping boaters. Answers:
No wasps can get in, it is made of PolyCarbonate and sealed.
They adjust hight automatically and remember hight per each different dock.
They come now in 2 sizes 6x15" and 9x20" we will add additional sizes in future. The video is the smaller size, I am experienced enough to go with the smaller fenders.
We see 4 main categories of boaters who ask for them:
1. Cruisers with difficult bow access, in that category all age groups are getting them. This is the category I am in and most of my friends are in. We are all around 50 years old and very experienced boaters. We like the smaller/faster cruisers that come with difficult bow access. It is also a perfect solution for smaller cruisers 24' and 28' that have a horrible bow access.
2. There are some sales to cruisers that already have convenient bow access - in that case it is cruisers that have some injury or other issue that is making their trip to the bow less convenient (at least during recovery).
3. Cruisers who go on their own. They love them even if they have good bow access.
4. Younger adults buying them as a present for their parents who are getting older.
They swing in therefore they look beautiful on the boat.
I love boating and I love helping boaters. We had a guy that called us from a hospital purchasing them as he broke his leg at work. That was his way of continuing to cruise while recovering. We had a guy with some bad illness who hugged me saying "you gave me 5 more years of boating".
They are definitely not for everyone but they are a viable product for few cruiser categories. My believe is that in future boats will have the fenders integrated in production. No one can claim that fenders are not a hassle ....
Thanks, Sam
sarditi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:22 PM   #34
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarditi View Post
Hi Guys,
Let me provide few replies, I am the guy who developed them. I will just provide replies, no sales speech We NEVER expected them on every boat but they are definitely helping boaters. Answers:
No wasps can get in, it is made of PolyCarbonate and sealed.
They adjust hight automatically and remember hight per each different dock.
They come now in 2 sizes 6x15" and 9x20" we will add additional sizes in future. The video is the smaller size, I am experienced enough to go with the smaller fenders.
We see 4 main categories of boaters who ask for them:
1. Cruisers with difficult bow access, in that category all age groups are getting them. This is the category I am in and most of my friends are in. We are all around 50 years old and very experienced boaters. We like the smaller/faster cruisers that come with difficult bow access. It is also a perfect solution for smaller cruisers 24' and 28' that have a horrible bow access.
2. There are some sales to cruisers that already have convenient bow access - in that case it is cruisers that have some injury or other issue that is making their trip to the bow less convenient (at least during recovery).
3. Cruisers who go on their own. They love them even if they have good bow access.
4. Younger adults buying them as a present for their parents who are getting older.
They swing in therefore they look beautiful on the boat.
I love boating and I love helping boaters. We had a guy that called us from a hospital purchasing them as he broke his leg at work. That was his way of continuing to cruise while recovering. We had a guy with some bad illness who hugged me saying "you gave me 5 more years of boating".
They are definitely not for everyone but they are a viable product for few cruiser categories. My believe is that in future boats will have the fenders integrated in production. No one can claim that fenders are not a hassle ....
Thanks, Sam

I can !
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:23 PM   #35

City: Discovery Bay
Vessel Name: Never Enough
Vessel Model: BayLiner Ciera
We design and build them in the California Delta. You are welcome to stop in our production facility and see them. We are a very friendly team.
sarditi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:07 PM   #36
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
I would rather not lose the opportunity to see my wife bending over on the foredeck!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:12 PM   #37
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
I can !
Me to.

A boat that had difficult access to put out fenders is in my eyes poor design and built for aesthetics, not function.

But, others would think differently I guess.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:13 PM   #38
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
I would rather not lose the opportunity to see my wife bending over on the foredeck!
Pictures or it didn't happen. :-)
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 09:21 PM   #39
Guru

Sarditi:

I would guess most of your buyers are inland boaters like you are?

The smaller model may be fine for areas with minimal tidal shifts, but I can't imagine it in an area with major tidal changes and areas with a lot of waves and exposure.

Just as to your reason 1. I really didn't realize how far back the helm was in the Bayliner Ciera. Even on Riva's the helm is considerably more forward plus the boat narrows enough that you'd only need a fender where you can't reach if you were using it as an arrival bumper, not really a fender. What are some of the other boats you've seen that fit this description and need?

As to looking beautiful, that's in the eye of the beholder. I would think on many boats they would look nice, even classy. With your white deck, with boats that are really trawler like. On the other hand, I wouldn't like their appearance on a boat with a sleek and fairly empty bow. I'm sure though that people initially thought bow pulpits were ugly distractions so some is just seeing them the first time.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:37 PM   #40
TF Site Team

Imagine how slick it would look if it was incorporated into the design from the get go! We're looking at an aftermarket model but in a big enough boat, a built-in could be almost invisible.