Auto Pilot Options?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshillam

Guru
Vessel Name
Our Heaven
Vessel Make
1997 4800 Navigator
This one is on the list soon, system we have currently is a Garmin 4210 and Garmin 740s, I have about a 22,000 (loaded) power boat with twin engines and hydraulic steering. What systems would you recommend and how much typically to install as I have no interest in doing such. Also are there any good installers for such in the Puget Sound area? Once decided I'd be happy to motor to the appropriate shop. Thanks much for the help.

Simrad

Simrad has the most robust systems for pleasure boats.

Simrad has the most robust systems for pleasure boats.

Comnav has the most robust systems for commercial boats.

And built a few miles from your house.

PS: I am the designated Comnav shill. No connection or affiliation however.

Comnav has the most robust systems for commercial boats.

Or the re-branded version known as Si-Tex. Simple. And simple is good with an AP. (IMHO)

I believe that Garmin is the only one with rudder rate technology. It allows it to work incredibly well at all speeds. I know they're the only one with Shadow Drive because they have the patent on it (grab the wheel in an emergency and it takes the autopilot out of control). Their technology does not require a rudder indicator although they support the display of it if you put one on. It uses a totally different technology to control the lock on course or route...and it's fantastic.

It is, by far, the most stable autopilot I've ever owned. It's one of the things that made me totally switch to Garmin. I use it with the wireless remove all the time.

This one is on the list soon, system we have currently is a Garmin 4210 and Garmin 740s, I have about a 22,000 (loaded) power boat with twin engines and hydraulic steering. What systems would you recommend and how much typically to install as I have no interest in doing such. Also are there any good installers for such in the Puget Sound area? Once decided I'd be happy to motor to the appropriate shop. Thanks much for the help.

Check out the W-H system. Will Hamm is right in your back yard on Bainbridge Island. We have one of his early systems on our OA. Reliable responsive and bulletproof. Great customer service.

WH Autopilots

Back
Top Bottom