Auto Inflate PFDs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hmason

Guru
Vessel Name
Lucky Lucky
Vessel Make
Pacific Mariner 65
I have 4 auto inflate PFDs by Mustang Survival. They have never gotten so much as damp. Is it nccesary to replace the bobbins annually or at all? Is this a degrading piece of equipment or a means of selling bobbins? Thanks for input.

I have 4+ years on my inflatable bobbins on a climate controlled, liveaboard.

On the assistance towing boat, the auto inflate would only last about 18 months due to the very high humidity in the tiny cabin and they would autoinflate randomly.

So no...you don't have to replace on any particular schedule unless you don't want to wake up to an inflated vest one day...but no big deal to fix it then.

I have 4 auto inflate PFDs by Mustang Survival. They have never gotten so much as damp. Is it nccesary to replace the bobbins annually or at all? Is this a degrading piece of equipment or a means of selling bobbins? Thanks for input.

Active Captain s sale this week was Defender Inflatable s less than $60

Your indicator will turn from green to red. When that happened change the canister.

When you go to replace the canister you will see that the bobbin has powdered by design.

You will receive and replace the bobbin with the new canister.

Let's see.. I will only need this when everything else has failed and my life is in danger.
The cost of maintaining it is about $12 a copy?????
Wow...
Bruce

Let's see.. I will only need this when everything else has failed and my life is in danger.
The cost of maintaining it is about $12 a copy?????
Wow...
Bruce

Not sure where you are coming from here.

His indicators are still green, so no change is required?

Mustang change out is ~$25-30 here.

Bobbin working, indicator green, vest uninflated.

Bobbin not working, indicator red, vest inflated.

Wow...difficult to troubleshoot. OK, canister could have fired and the vest not inflated...but I have never seen that happen.

CO 2 cannister can be weighed, but if not rusty or punctured...it is good forever...well long enough you won't care.

I have serviced dozens after manual inflation, auto inflation as ND self inflation from old Bobbin age.

Either have a spare and just wait....or change the Bobbin every year or so as they aren't real expensive.. no big deal either way.

Last edited:
Psnend says:

Bobbin working, indicator green, vest uninflated.

Bobbin not working, indicator red, vest inflated.

Wow...difficult to troubleshoot. OK, canister could have fired and the vest not inflated...but I have never seen that happen."

Over the years, I have experienced a couple of bobbins that hardened with age. The last time at BST, I jumped into the pool with my work coat and stood on the bottom of the pool waiting for it to go off. Finally pulled the manual cord which properly inflated the bladder.

After replacing the bobbin/bottle, jumped in again and it went off immediately. New vs 18 months old.

So, your mileage may vary here, but at least in two cases: Bobbin not working, indicator green, vest uninflated.

Well you got me on that one.

The bobbins are designed to absorb moisture, thus the overwhelming data on inflation with age....not resistance to inflate.

All the years I taught water survival and watched the introduction and advancement of these inflatables, I have never heard of one hardening with age.

I know they don't always work...but never from a hard bobbin.

The good news is new bobbin or old, they have a high enough reliability rate to be certified.

If concerned, replace with a new rearming kit as often as recommended or as you feel necessary.

I am comfy with waiting for 5 or so years or until it goes off.

You can always manual inflate or even inflate orally.

The chances of a failure the one time you hit the water unconscious is pretty astronomical....unless you abandon ship or fall in a lot

Onyx

Wednesday night I ordered rearming kits for our Onyx brand PFDs. They are pushing 5 years old, and Onyx recommends 3 years. The kits cost $33.26 for both, shipping included (thank you Amazon), so for piece of mind there was no decision.

We have used ours in an inflatable (wet), Boston Whaler (wet), now in the PNW (wet), and for kayaking/paddle boarding (wet). No issues so far with moisture.

Good Luck

Jeff

We plan to inflate ours by pulling the handle, prior to inspection and rearming. They certainly don't owe us anything at this point, but I suspect they will remain serviceable.

Well. If all else fails you can inflate with lanyard or filler hose by mouth in case of an emergency. The auto inflate is for the worse case scenario unconscious entry into water.

Back
Top Bottom