Old 02-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Baltimore Marinas

Hello. I'm in need of some recommendations. We have a boat arriving at Baltimore on a ship from the west coast around the middle of April. All of our electronics, watermaker, solar panels, and dinghy crane will be installed after delivery.

We are looking for a marina in the Baltimore Harbor vicinity. We will need the use of a good-sized forklift to install the crane on the boat deck. Location near marine services (like West Marine) and away from downtown traffic, etc. would be preferred.

Also, the boat will arrive with a minimal amount of fuel, so I'm also looking for a place to fuel the boat - 500-600 gallons, if the price is right.

Any recommendations would be helpful.

Thanks,

tlaw7
tlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Check ActiveCaptain for marina info and read the reviews.

Right downtown, we've been to BMC Inner Harbor, nice place, and they have fuel. BMC Inner Harbor east looks good on paper. Anchorage looks good on paper -- several members on cruisersforum (sister site) are there and seem to like it -- and we've been there in the semi-distant past, but I've also read more recently the docks could stand some work. And so forth.

Not sure what other capabilities any of those have, though, so it'll help to check AC and then each individual website for those that look promising.

If nothing up there floats your boat, I'm more familiar with Annapolis marinas and I know several of those will have installation services available. Navigation from Baltimore to Annapolis -- without instruments -- is trivial in normal/good weather.

-Chris
Old 02-20-2017, 05:32 PM   #3
Guru

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
There are really no boatyards(lifts, cranes, labor, etc.) in Baltimore's harbor, you will need to get further out. Tidewater is a first class operation nearest to the harbor (I did my refit there). Anchor bay marina in bear creek, which is close and also has a good yard.

Tidewater can bring in a fuel truck for that much fuel, best price you'll get. Again thats what I did before leaving the area. If not Anchor bay has good quality fuel, little pricier than truck fuel though.

Good luck

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:57 PM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
We had an excellent experience at Anchor Bay East in Dundalk when we bought our new-to-us boat and had ro do a variety of tasks to get it ready for our style of cruising. Full service boatyard and marina with an onsite cafe we liked. At the time, outside contractors and workmen were not discouraged, nor was DIY work. It's about a 20 minute drive into downtown but Dundalk has all the day to day shopping and services. We ended up using them as our stop very time we were going to and from New England.

Worth looking into, as my experiences are 4-9 years old now.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:01 PM   #5

City: Kingsville, MD
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: Pacemaker 1990 37' Convertible
Will second the Anchor Bay folks. Art Cox is the owner and an A1 guy. They worked on my boat last year and the result was excellent. They have two travel lifts (one of them is an 80 ton capacity lift) and sell lot of diesel all year long.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:21 PM   #6

City: Baltimore, MD
Vessel Name: Starshine
Vessel Model: 1989 Bayliner 3288
We have a slip in Anchorage Marina, BMC's Lighthouse Point is next to us. A West Marine is in between us. In my opinion best location one could have if you want to be in a urban environment. Walking distance to anything one could possibly want. Neither has the facilities for your fitting out. As said above closest yards for that are Tidewater or Anchor Bay are only a few miles away.
johnrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:56 PM   #7
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
I like that Tidewater is completely transparent about their rates with them all published on their web site.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote