Old 08-18-2016, 06:38 PM   #21
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
So, with hundreds of boaters (Cajun Navy) out rescuing people (very effectively, I might add) here come the politicians - State Sen. Jonathan Perry (R-Kaplan) wants to require private boat owners to be trained and certified in search and rescue. "Liability" and stuff, dontcha know? The Coonass Navy (actual term) has demonstrably rescued more people (and critters) in Andrew, Katrina, Rita, Isaac, and this no-name storm than all of the cops, fireman, wildlife and fisheries, national guard, and USCG assets combined. They just show up, ad hoc organize, and go do it. Drives the command and control idiots nuts!

I belong to an organization down here that showed up to haul off the people that were stranded on 1-12 for 24-48 hours. Half the skippers were unlimited or 500 ton captains. Putting boats in the water and the State Police show up promising to arrest anybody who got close for obstructing (?) something. Somehow the Guard couldn't manage dropping MREs & water out of Blackhawks on target - went in the woods or who knows where. Glad I'm not in a hole depending on them for resupply. What a CF!

Glad it worked out for you and yours, Star.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:37 PM   #22
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I enjoyed watching those guys (real heroes!) on the local TV station, many of them were "Open carrying" sidearms, for snakes and gators I'm sure. I guess those weren't shown on the mainstream news, too bad.
SBU22 thanks to you for your participation!
Old 08-18-2016, 08:27 PM   #23
Guru

City: Madisonville, LA
Vessel Name: Sea Star
Vessel Model: 2004 Cruisers Yachts 50SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbu22 View Post
So, with hundreds of boaters (Cajun Navy) out rescuing people (very effectively, I might add) here come the politicians - State Sen. Jonathan Perry (R-Kaplan) wants to require private boat owners to be trained and certified in search and rescue. "Liability" and stuff, dontcha know? The Coonass Navy (actual term) has demonstrably rescued more people (and critters) in Andrew, Katrina, Rita, Isaac, and this no-name storm than all of the cops, fireman, wildlife and fisheries, national guard, and USCG assets combined. They just show up, ad hoc organize, and go do it. Drives the command and control idiots nuts!

I belong to an organization down here that showed up to haul off the people that were stranded on 1-12 for 24-48 hours. Half the skippers were unlimited or 500 ton captains. Putting boats in the water and the State Police show up promising to arrest anybody who got close for obstructing (?) something. Somehow the Guard couldn't manage dropping MREs & water out of Blackhawks on target - went in the woods or who knows where. Glad I'm not in a hole depending on them for resupply. What a CF!

Glad it worked out for you and yours, Star.
Thank god for the people who just showed and did what needed to be done without waiting for the "officials". The death toll would be much higher if everybody waited around on the government.
I think the rescue Facebook group did more to help people get rescued by connecting them with the volunteers out there with boats than anything done through official channels. People couldn't get through to 911 or police or anything else. The system was completely overwhelmed.

It's the people who showed up with their own boats who are the true heroes. It's a miracle there have only been 13 deaths.
Star0210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 08:41 PM   #24
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Naw, Steve, I wasn't involved - just a member. I was working on my boat - wasn't aware of the I-12 situation until Saturday night. Still having trouble with the LSP response.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote