ASD's new Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Delays everywhere I bought a new outboard motor. Fortunately I found one through an unusual story, but back order minimum 28 weeks but probably 42 weeks but could be more.

Sorry about the generator, that stinks.

Is there a thread where we can report excessive parts delays so that other members with similar equipment will benefit from the knowledge?

Well still hurry up and wait. NL notified me today it'll be mid-April or later until my genset arrives.

So I called Cummins/Onan. They told me the waiting period 1.5 years.

Looks like Alaska may not happen this year.

Just seeing your thread on your NL genny.... I ordered a NL 20kW back in Oct 2021... first delivery promise was 12/31/21... them sometime in Feb 2022... latest update last week was that it was now in the country and had just cleared customs. Now I'm hearing end of March - early April to get it from Seattle to Virginia.

Our generators must have some on the same shipment....

Just seeing your thread on your NL genny.... I ordered a NL 20kW back in Oct 2021... first delivery promise was 12/31/21... them sometime in Feb 2022... latest update last week was that it was now in the country and had just cleared customs. Now I'm hearing end of March - early April to get it from Seattle to Virginia.

Our generators must have some on the same shipment....
This is encouraging. I hope so......thanks for the info.

So I was told that my generator in a container with numerous other generators is sitting on the ground in LA for the last month. Apparently a shortage in certified California trucks are now the problem.

At this point, I don't know what to think.

So I was told that my generator in a container with numerous other generators is sitting on the ground in LA for the last month. Apparently a shortage in certified California trucks are now the problem.

At this point, I don't know what to think.

I'll follow up on mine tomorrow and see what story I get....

Hope you get it sorted out soon

Last edited by a moderator:
YEE HAW!!! Just got a call from Northern Lights. The container that my generator is on has been released and will be delivered to Northern Lights in Seattle on April 15th. They need a few days to turn it around, then send it to Cook Engine in Portland. Don't yet know how long it will be to get on Cook's schedule. We still maybe heading north, just a little later. Excited...

Fantastic news, happy for you!

YEE HAW!!! Just got a call from Northern Lights. The container that my generator is on has been released and will be delivered to Northern Lights in Seattle on April 15th. They need a few days to turn it around, then send it to Cook Engine in Portland. Don't yet know how long it will be to get on Cook's schedule. We still maybe heading north, just a little later. Excited...

Scratching head? How does it take 5 weeks to travel from California to Seattle? Is it coming by mule train?

Jim

It will probably go through several stops along the way.

Scratching head? How does it take 5 weeks to travel from California to Seattle? Is it coming by mule train?

Jim
Have no idea. Hurry up and wait. Holding my breath...

I can ask. Wonder if it fits in a pickup?

Tom,
Have you offered to rent a Uhaul and go pick it up?
Cook engines is charging me $300 to ship it from Seattle to Portland. If I were to pick it up my fuel bill would be the same.

Update: no update. Due April 15th.

I also found out some interesting information. All the parts for the NL generator are made in the USA. Those parts are shipped to Japan for assembly, then shipped back to the USA as a unit. The NL representative told me they do it this way to keep it "technically" still "Made in the USA."

Cook engines is charging me $300 to ship it from Seattle to Portland. If I were to pick it up my fuel bill would be the same.

As long as delivery meets your expectations, all good. My suggestion was due to delay in delivery getting boat ready for journey. To me twice $300 is priceless in that regard.

I also found out some interesting information. All the parts for the NL generator are made in the USA. Those parts are shipped to Japan for assembly, then shipped back to the USA as a unit. The NL representative told me they do it this way to keep it "technically" still "Made in the USA."

It used to be when foreign parts were used Made in USA meant assembled in USA, this is a twist.

Last edited:

This confuses me. The engines are made in Japan, and I' pretty sure the generator ends are Taiyo which is also made in Japan. Could the reverse be true, where the parts are shipped here and it's assembled in the US? You see this all the time with the "Made in USA with world wide parts" or something like that.

Well the guy at NL told me all parts are made in the USA and assembled in Japan.

Regarding shipping, it is now cheaper for me to have NL ship it for me.

Thats a stretch. NL ships some parts to Japan were final assembly is done but the engines are made in Japan. The design and engineering work is all done in Seattle. The bigger units use John Deere engines and are assembled in Seattle. NL is now a Mann OEM so I suspect we will see the really big units that used to be powered by Kubota now being powered by Mann.

NL has been hit hard by the Covid supply chain interruptions. There are a lot of little parts involved and most the generators they build are custom ordered with almost no two the same design. They can't find any skilled workers to hire and everyone is tired from constantly chasing suppliers.

Even if the basic engine and gen head don't come from the US, all of the control bits, any adapters that connect the 2 pieces, the mounting supports, etc. very well might. So all of the parts still have to be shipped in from the engine supplier, the gen head supplier and then the rest from NL before it can be assembled.

Oh no! How can this be?
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-it-doesnt-matter-if-a-harley-davidson-is-made-in-america/

I’ve chuckled at this one for a while, especially when the diehards refused to admit it.

“Harleys sold in the U.S. are indeed assembled in one of four plants located in Wisconsin, Missouri and Pennsylvania. But the brakes and clutch are imported from Italy, the engine pistons are made in Austria, the bike suspension comes from Japan, and other electronic components originate in Mexico and China.”

This confuses me. The engines are made in Japan, and I' pretty sure the generator ends are Taiyo which is also made in Japan. Could the reverse be true, where the parts are shipped here and it's assembled in the US? You see this all the time with the "Made in USA with world wide parts" or something like that.

Well the NL rep in Seattle, Connor, told me about the process. Really doesn't matter as I eagerly awaiting April 15th....

Back
Top Bottom