ASD's new Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had a 15KW Westerbeke installed on Beachcomber about a year and a half ago. Total cost, including installation was $15K.

Total cost with labor, around $22K:confused:

Ouch.

At least you are going to end up with a shiny new NL genny with quiet reliable power.

OK so I went back and looked at the order. (The above was just off the top of my head)

NL Generator, Sound shield, remote panel and cable, shipping and other exhaust parts (new thru hull installed in the stern instead of going out main engine exhaust ) , hoses etc $16,863.78 Generator alone cost $12,000. Once they get in there and working, it maybe more or less

Labor:$5250.98

CAT Tax: 126.05

Grand Total: $22,239.83

No sales tax as I am buying and installing in Oregon. I believe the "CAT Tax" has something to do with the old federal luxury tax? It was explained to me, but I have forgot.

So there you go. In doing my research I wanted a NL generator. These are a little more than some of the others. Interesting Onan was more expensive. Prices were comparable between Seattle/Tacoma and Portland within $300. I chose Portland as I can take ASD to Cook Engines dock in Portland for install, closer than taking the boat all the way around to Seattle. Also by having it installed here on the river, I can play with the new genny before heading north.

I am currently selling waterfront properties and thought maybe you would be interested. :socool: We offer viewing twice daily.

Seriously though, WOW :facepalm:

Yeah, spendy. But I am an all electric boat.

Prices last winter was quite a bit less when I first started the research.

Waterfront have a dock? LOL:thumb:

Hey ASD, the CAT is the Oregon Corporate Activity Tax. It is a newer (2019) Oregon tax on every transaction a company does at .057%. We see it on most sales like your genny install. It is another pass through sales tax to consumers since we have voted down sales tax proposals in OR umpteen times.

lol, funny coincidence!!! My Westerbeke 8kw went out right about the same time as yours ~10/15/21... For me, it was the electrical side (rotor/stator issues). Looked into rebuilds and they were still $3,500-$4,500 just to have the items re-wound.
I looked into buying a new one and as you're seeing, HUGE wait!!! Had some say 12-18 months!!!
Decided to check w/ Westerbeke directly and got lucky. They had the full electrical "drop-in" sitting on the shelf! The fact that my gen (might be) the original generator for the boat (1989) and they had a complete "back-end" unit I could just bolt right on to the engine was GREAT, since the diesel side always started right up and ran really well (~1,700 hours)!!! Cost for the unit was ~$4,500 (no tax :) ). While I had the unit in "pieces" I decided to go through the entire thing. Bought new mounting rails, all new hoses, exchanger went to the shop for testing/repair, new alternator, belts, paint, etc... Even found someone selling a pretty decent sound enclosure (mine was TOAST)...
I did all of the work myself, lots of youtube videos and reading through schematics but it all came together and runs like a champ again! :)

Attachments

• 20211008_152620.jpg
    20211008_152620.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 20211014_183740 1.jpg
    20211014_183740 1.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 20211014_201000 1.jpg
    20211014_201000 1.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 20211014_205545 1.jpg
    20211014_205545 1.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 31
  • 20211023_190056.jpg
    20211023_190056.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20211020_184255 1.jpg
    20211020_184255 1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 20211030_115915.jpg
    20211030_115915.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20211030_144307.jpg
    20211030_144307.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 20211106_181215 1.jpg
    20211106_181215 1.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20211106_184500 1.jpg
    20211106_184500 1.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 31
Diesel engine-side cleaned up nicely as well... :)

Attachments

• 20211008_175556.jpg
    20211008_175556.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20211027_130629.jpg
    20211027_130629.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 26
Very nice. Over the years (2014) I have been replacing parts here and there. As time went on the oil samples were showing lots of wear. Smokes all the time. This past summer the alternator froze up. It hydrolocked again. (I am now an expert at pulling injectors and stuff).

After looking at the cost of rebuilding both the engine and generator, a new genset would be better for me.

There goes most of your one year warranty. ;)

Here's the Warranty:

Period of Warranty: The warranty period shall
extend from the date of delivery to the original
user for a period of 12 (twelve) months with no
limit on hours of use.

An additional warranty period shall extend
an additional 48 months OR up to 2500 total
hours* of operation, whichever occurs first.
*-Total hours includes hours of use during the
first 12 months.

Coverage:
Year one (months 1-12): Parts and labor
Year two (months 13-24): Parts
Year three, four and five (months 25-60):
Selected parts - Cylinder block, cylinder head,
crankshaft, camshaft, exhaust valves, intake
valves, valve lifters, exhaust manifold, intake
manifold, connecting rods, main bearings, main
generator stator and main generator rotor.

supplied with the generator set must be properly filled out and returned to Northern Lights to
qualify the set for this warranty. Additional warranty cards are available through your dealer or
by contacting a factory branch

We are trying to get an emergency backup generator for our house. Everyone we called said 6 months+. Called Home Depot thinking they might have better supply chain. They said 2 months so I had them come out and give a quote. Their price was way high. $4200 more than an other vendor for exactly the same setup. We decided it wasn’t worth over $1000 per month to get it earlier.

When we bought our boat the 15k Westerbeke was not working - 4 cyl engine ran fine, but the gen was shot. Pulled it out, and sold the engine. Bought a Kohler 9k in sound shield (boat originally had elec stove, now propane) - runs great and takes up half of the room as the old one. Room for a new tool chest and new battery box (out of the bilge:thumb:)

Well this was ordered back in November. Right now they are telling me February 8th to the end of the month.

Did they say if it was enroute or waiting to unload. I hope it is not on our side of the border with the latest hiccup of all truck drivers must be vaccinated.

With all these delivery issues this is causing a new form of stress. I bet you are counting the days to start the next trip which is getting closer.
One year cancelled due to covid, finally you get to go and now due to electrics being a must will it get installed in time for your schedule. :facepalm:

BTW, warranty. Ever since I was a kid I hate warranties. I got a watch for my birthday that soon stopped working, but one year warranty, so back it went. Forgot all about it when it arrived a few weeks before the next birthday with a note warranty ended before it arrived.

The warranty should not start until the genset is installed and certified by the installer. I would double check with the vendor as to when it actually starts.

Did they say if it was enroute or waiting to unload. I hope it is not on our side of the border with the latest hiccup of all truck drivers must be vaccinated.

With all these delivery issues this is causing a new form of stress. I bet you are counting the days to start the next trip which is getting closer.
One year cancelled due to covid, finally you get to go and now due to electrics being a must will it get installed in time for your schedule. :facepalm:

BTW, warranty. Ever since I was a kid I hate warranties. I got a watch for my birthday that soon stopped working, but one year warranty, so back it went. Forgot all about it when it arrived a few weeks before the next birthday with a note warranty ended before it arrived.

Sitting at the Seattle Dock

The warranty should not start until the genset is installed and certified by the installer. I would double check with the vendor as to when it actually starts.

Will do. Thanks for the heads up.

I signed up for 3 classes NL puts on. Classes are in March.

Well heard back from the NL factory in Seattle. Said generator is expected 2nd week of March. Been on order since end of October.

Feeling a little frustrated....

Well heard back from the NL factory in Seattle. Said generator is expected 2nd week of March. Been on order since end of October.

Feeling a little frustrated....

Be careful, a lot of spam emails saying your order is on its way.
Don't want to see you get worked up expecting it on time. :whistling:

I purchased one at the boat show in 2018 and it took four months back then to receive it.

Be careful, a lot of spam emails saying your order is on its way.
Don't want to see you get worked up expecting it on time. :whistling:

:banghead: So true!!! Maybe get a letter from a fake NL dealer in Arkansas!!:facepalm:

Well still hurry up and wait. NL notified me today it'll be mid-April or later until my genset arrives.

So I called Cummins/Onan. They told me the waiting period 1.5 years.

Looks like Alaska may not happen this year.

A lot of things are not meeting their projected delivery dates…

I’ll stop in at NL next Tuesday and see if I can find out the real story. What is the model number? Is it a box unit or is it a custom build? Custom build is any unit were you have paid for options.

I’ll stop in at NL next Tuesday and see if I can find out the real story. What is the model number? Is it a box unit or is it a custom build? Custom build is any unit were you have paid for options.
9kW. No custom build. Just a normal genset. I have been dealing with Connor in the Seattle NL factory.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom