Asd 2023 se alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ASD,
That’s looking west out of inside of Foggy Bay .. isn’t it?
In post 116?

I came over that bar on an inrushing sea in my home made/designed boat the Easy Rider. I studied the seas as they went over the bar. Couldn’t see any obstructions shallow..or spots so we puckered up and went in at about 20 knots on the face of a wave. No problem. Gale was blow’in 40-50 outside. Stayed there for three days.

Eric, there's another similar spot for getting into Nichols Bay, near Cape Chacon on POW island. It's called Bert Millar Cutoff. Ever tried that one? I've looked at it from the inside and my thought was...no way in bloody hell would I ever attempt it. Douglass writes about Bert Millar in the 'Exploring SE AK' book

ASD,
That’s looking west out of inside of Foggy Bay .. isn’t it?
In post 116?

I came over that bar on an inrushing sea in my home made/designed boat the Easy Rider. I studied the seas as they went over the bar. Couldn’t see any obstructions shallow..or spots so we puckered up and went in at about 20 knots on the face of a wave. No problem. Gale was blow’in 40-50 outside. Stayed there for three days.

Why would you go in that way? Quite safe to go in through the back channel in almost any seaway. I've seen the Hakai institute boats (little ones) go out the channel to the left of the bar at highish tide.

On our way to Sitka. Spent a few days with K-Town Al. He says hi. Currently we crossing 5 fingers Lighthouse. Tomorrow Stergis Narrows. Rescued a few shrimp, rock fish and crabs waning a new house! Zoom in on Kay's hat. Hummingbirds having a conversation. 20230531_151359.jpg20230606_120035.jpg20230606_123027.jpgimage000000(3).jpg20230612_090703.jpg20230607_103512.jpg

Yeah we heard. Sad sad situation. I will keep my ears to the dock.

I was in Sitka two days ago and saw the same charter operation getting ready to take folks out, but I didn’t hear any local knowledge. It was my understanding they were out in rough water in a small boat and hit a rock, but I never heard more details than that. The report I saw said 8 to 11 foot seas. I think all of the missing people including the captain have been found dead.

Pulled into Sitka. Yesterday was nasty, so we stayed put. Gotta love Sitka, a busy fisherman's town.image000000(4).jpgimage000000(5).jpgimage000000(6).jpg

Furry Cove Closure

Fury Cove:

This is my initial email to B.C. Parks, Canada:

Sent: Monday, May 15, 2023 12:05 PM
To: ParkInfo ENV:EX <parkinfo@gov.bc.ca>
Subject: Fury Cove

Good morning,

This email is directed to Bob Austad.

Good Morning Sir,

It has come to my attention that your office issued a letter in April 2023 that Penrose Island Marine Park is open with the exception of Fury Cove due to COVID. With COVID policies sunsetting it would appear the need to have Fury Cove closed would also have been sunset.
Sir there is also another reason Fury Cove needs to be reopened. Recreational boats use Fury Cove as a staging area to cross Cape Caution. This is a very important safety issue for boaters. With little to no communication by cell or VHF radio Fury Cove is used to examine and look at the Cape Caution crossing for sea conditions such as wave height, time between the waves, and wind. Without Fury Cove as a staging ground it puts recreational boaters at a dangerous risk.

Please reopen Fury Cove, if for nothing else for the safety of recreational boaters and their families.

Thank You for your time and attention to this matter.

Thomas Teseniar

B.C. Park Response:

ParkInfo ENV:EX <parkinfo@gov.bc.ca>
To:
'thomas.teseniar@yahoo.com'

Tue, Jul 4 at 12:00 PM

Good morning,

Thank you for your email, and for taking the time to write. We are very sorry for the delay in responding. BC Parks and the Wuikinuxv Nation are in discussions regarding the closure of Clam Bay and will be providing updates to the website once those discussions have been finalized.

The closure does not impact a mariners right to navigate and that includes anchoring. If mariners must use the anchorage for safety, they can do so. It is important to note that area is a significant cultural site to the Wuikinuxv Nation and has been an important traditional harvesting site for thousands of years. Mariners requiring safe anchorage must do so with respect and not to discharge any grey or black water into the bay.

Thanks,

BC Parks Information Team

Are you Thomas Teseniar?
Seems to me they might now be moitoring all adverse safety factors and watching more closely.

Be careful what you wish for.

"If mariners must use the anchorage for safety, they can do so."

Are you Thomas Teseniar?

Seems to me they might now be moitoring all adverse safety factors and watching more closely.

Be careful what you wish for.

"If mariners must use the anchorage for safety, they can do so."
Want a beer ?

Furry Cove Closure

Fury Cove:

This is my initial email to B.C. Parks, Canada:

Sent: Monday, May 15, 2023 12:05 PM
To: ParkInfo ENV:EX <parkinfo@gov.bc.ca>
Subject: Fury Cove

Good morning,

This email is directed to Bob Austad.

Good Morning Sir,

It has come to my attention that your office issued a letter in April 2023 that Penrose Island Marine Park is open with the exception of Fury Cove due to COVID. With COVID policies sunsetting it would appear the need to have Fury Cove closed would also have been sunset.
Sir there is also another reason Fury Cove needs to be reopened. Recreational boats use Fury Cove as a staging area to cross Cape Caution. This is a very important safety issue for boaters. With little to no communication by cell or VHF radio Fury Cove is used to examine and look at the Cape Caution crossing for sea conditions such as wave height, time between the waves, and wind. Without Fury Cove as a staging ground it puts recreational boaters at a dangerous risk.

Please reopen Fury Cove, if for nothing else for the safety of recreational boaters and their families.

Thank You for your time and attention to this matter.

Thomas Teseniar

B.C. Park Response:

ParkInfo ENV:EX <parkinfo@gov.bc.ca>
To:
'thomas.teseniar@yahoo.com'

Tue, Jul 4 at 12:00 PM

Good morning,

Thank you for your email, and for taking the time to write. We are very sorry for the delay in responding. BC Parks and the Wuikinuxv Nation are in discussions regarding the closure of Clam Bay and will be providing updates to the website once those discussions have been finalized.

The closure does not impact a mariners right to navigate and that includes anchoring. If mariners must use the anchorage for safety, they can do so. It is important to note that area is a significant cultural site to the Wuikinuxv Nation and has been an important traditional harvesting site for thousands of years. Mariners requiring safe anchorage must do so with respect and not to discharge any grey or black water into the bay.

Thanks,

BC Parks Information Team

That begs the question of exactly what IS closed in Fury Cove. I guess it just means don't go ashore there, even though you can go ashore anywhere else in the park?

Fury Cove is not the only staging area for rounding Cape Caution. Personally we never have stopped there when heading north. With natives and BC parks not wanting cruisers there because it has become a social gathering point in good weather, best to just move on.

Fury Cove is not the only staging area for rounding Cape Caution. Personally we never have stopped there when heading north. With natives and BC parks not wanting cruisers there because it has become a social gathering point in good weather, best to just move on.

We have found good alternatives too. Fury Cove is really nice, but usually much too crowded for our taste.

Left Appleton Cove and made our way to Sitka to pic up family. Kay caught a 109 halibut, but it won't up load the pic.....20230715_123955.jpg20230715_120125.jpg20230714_170827.jpg20230713_190128.jpg20230710_081231.jpg

Congratulations Kay! Those crab look tasty as well. You can let Tom catch a fish now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom