Asd 2023 se alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On the positive side, you got your money's worth out of those zincs.
Safe travels.

We compounded the bow deck and then waxed on waxed off the rest of the whole boat this winter. Lots of fun…

ouch!!! I paid two hard working guys here in LA Paz $600 for ten days of hard work to wax my boat. :blush:

With only 2.5 weeks left before heading North, the last of the big scheduled maintenance done!!! I have been putting this off since last fall.

The proper system.... 6 new duckbills, and a new "Y" valve.

Yee Haw! Little more packing to do, then on weather watch.

20230416_130036.jpg

All set for the big run across the Columbia River Bar. Looks like Saturday will be the open window. From the Bar to Neah Bay is about a 12hr run. We will stage in Ilwaco on Friday.

ASD is all fueled up and ready to run.20230428_161020.jpg20230424_092545.jpg20230424_085255.jpg

Passing the Columbia River Friday on my way to Anacortes, will you be out by then?

It’s all good, swells running 6-7’ with a fairly long period pretty much directly from the West. Following seas with perhaps 10 knots from the SSW on top, very comfortable running. I may tuck into Neah Bay for some sleep Sunday morning, I will look for your AIS.

It’s all good, swells running 6-7’ with a fairly long period pretty much directly from the West. Following seas with perhaps 10 knots from the SSW on top, very comfortable running. I may tuck into Neah Bay for some sleep Sunday morning, I will look for your AIS.

Is your boat stabilized?

No, never seen a 30’ boat that’s stabilized…. But I am ballasted with 4300 lbs of encapsulated lead, and my tolerance for ocean motion exceeds most peoples. I have a slow roll with no snap to it at all.

By now it’s settled to NNW 4-5’ with a 9-10 second period and it’s glassy with no wind.

Doug

I should be in Neah Bay around noon, plan to sleep over and depart early Sunday for Anacortes.

1st part completed from Longview to Ilwaco. Foggy, rain and cold. Tomorrow is the famous Columbia River Bar for the 190 miles to Neah Bay. Weather looks awesome for this section!

Saturday, May 6, 2023
53° F
Variable winds 5 kt or less. Partly sunny. Mixed swell...WNW 4 ft at 11 seconds and SW 2 ft at 17 seconds. Wind waves 1 ft or less.20230505_081101.jpg20230505_081116.jpg20230505_103845.jpg20230505_130741.jpg20230505_110735.jpg

On Hold

On hold. Columbia River is currently restricted. Low tide is at 0800.

MAIN CHANNEL 4-6 FEET WITH STEEP EBB CHOP, MIDDLE GROUNDS 1-3 FEET, PEACOCK SPIT 4-6 FEET WITH STEEP EBB CHOP, CLATSOP SPIT 4-6 FEET WITH STEEP EBB CHOP AND OCCASIONAL BREAKS. WINDS ARE 5-10 KNOTS FROM THE SOUTHEAST. VISIBILITY IS 2 NAUTICAL MILES. THE COLUMBIA RIVER BAR IS CURRENTLY RESTRICTED TO RECREATIONAL BOATS AND UNINSPECTED COMMERCIAL PASSENGER VESSELS 30 FEET IN LENGTH OR LESS WEST OF BUOY 11.

On hold. Columbia River is currently restricted. Low tide is at 0800.

MAIN CHANNEL 4-6 FEET WITH STEEP EBB CHOP, MIDDLE GROUNDS 1-3 FEET, PEACOCK SPIT 4-6 FEET WITH STEEP EBB CHOP, CLATSOP SPIT 4-6 FEET WITH STEEP EBB CHOP AND OCCASIONAL BREAKS. WINDS ARE 5-10 KNOTS FROM THE SOUTHEAST. VISIBILITY IS 2 NAUTICAL MILES. THE COLUMBIA RIVER BAR IS CURRENTLY RESTRICTED TO RECREATIONAL BOATS AND UNINSPECTED COMMERCIAL PASSENGER VESSELS 30 FEET IN LENGTH OR LESS WEST OF BUOY 11.

Is that just because of a very low tide? Can you depart at high slack, or does that mess up your timing too much?

Is that just because of a very low tide? Can you depart at high slack, or does that mess up your timing too much?
It messed up our timing to get to Neah Bay and a beer. First part clearing the bar, then confused seas. Little rough. Further north we go the better it gets. Flat seas now. At 2100rpms on the Cats, we are flying at 14.7 mph20230506_145129.jpg20230506_144725.jpg

That’s flying! I made Neah Bay about noon, checked everything mechanical and unfouled my anchor line (seas tossed it a bit) and got four hours of sleep before grilling a nice ribeye and had that beer you were talking about. Up at 3:30 to brew coffee, and there you were anchored in the middle of the bay.

I figured it would be right un neighborly to wake you up to say howdy :). Underway at 4:00 to make Cap Sante before dark. 14.5 knots, is not in my repertoire…. Catch you up the line!

Doug

AKDoug
If the Juan de Fuca currents slow you too much (they don't look favorable until noonish) Roche Harbor or Garrison Bay anchorages are located on NW corner of San Juan Island. Roche Harbor village is a nice place to R&R and an easy hop to Cap Sante if you need to get there.

If need be Sidney is a short hop from Roche Harbor for clearing customs.

Tom, if you stop in Bellingham, send me a PM. I have that brand of beer you are fond of.

Last edited:
I saw you this morning (on the AIS) anchored in Neah Bay, I went to bed early and missed seeing you come in. I didn’t want to disturb your slumber at 04:00 as I cruised out, and watched for your AIS to pop up all day somewhere behind me. When it did you were 5 miles ahead of me getting ready to duck between islands heading North.

I figured you must have cut the Canadian corner to get past me, probably with your AIS off, as I ran pretty close to the border all day. In Anacortes for a couple of days, since you just hit the water you are probably all provisioned up. My next run is a week through Canada to Ketchikan, so I need to provision up tomorrow.

I’ll look for you up the line :)

Doug

Duh, sorry to be repeating myself, long five days…

Tom, if you stop in Bellingham, send me a PM. I have that brand of beer you are fond of.
We will be going on the west side. May kick around in Desolation or the Broughtons. Are you heading north at all?

I saw you this morning (on the AIS) anchored in Neah Bay, I went to bed early and missed seeing you come in. I didn’t want to disturb your slumber at 04:00 as I cruised out, and watched for your AIS to pop up all day somewhere behind me. When it did you were 5 miles ahead of me getting ready to duck between islands heading North.

I figured you must have cut the Canadian corner to get past me, probably with your AIS off, as I ran pretty close to the border all day. In Anacortes for a couple of days, since you just hit the water you are probably all provisioned up. My next run is a week through Canada to Ketchikan, so I need to provision up tomorrow.

I’ll look for you up the line :)

Doug

Duh, sorry to be repeating myself, long five days…
Hey Doug. Yes we transient through passed Victoria, straight to Cattle Pass.

Well here we sit in Friday Harbor. The ride from Ilwaco to Neah Bay was "Lumpy" Had a few places that the seas were nice. We've seen better and crappy weather in our adventures. We anchored up and to very tired folks went to bed.

We then left Neah Bay for Friday Harbor. We love this place. Kay likes the shops and I like all the boats. But I got to say this place is a jinxed place ASD. Something always breaks here. This trip, my water maker. There are 2 membranes that removes the salt from the water and makes nice clean cold water. So I have new parts heading to Friday Harbor Should be here by Wednesday.20230505_110735.jpg20230506_144725.jpg20230506_160149.jpg20230507_114248.jpg20230507_185154.jpg20230508_104718.jpg

We will be going on the west side. May kick around in Desolation or the Broughtons. Are you heading north at all?

Yes but as usual we are late. Won't leave until early June and will primarily be on the west side of POW Island. Mostly in a radius around Craig in July and August for the fishing and down into Cordova Bay too. I'll be looking for you on AIS

Last edited:
Having a great evening in Friday Harbor. Recieved my water maker membranes today. Install tomorrow. Retired life is wonderful.20230509_190827.jpg20230509_190843.jpg20230509_190932.jpg

On the inside of the outer float (A?). Prime real estate.

The deepest I've ever anchored was off the Friday Harbor research station in 55 feet. Spent three weeks on the hook watching the ferry and float plane traffic. Nice place. One nice day we rented electric bikes in town and rode over to the restaurant at Roche Harbor for lunch. Such nice memories :)

Glad you are on the way. We just got around Cape Caution sitting in Fury Cove. We have been by ourselves with few other recreational vessels seen. BTW I need more coaching on picking a good weather window for Ilwaco to Neah Bay. Our trip outside was rough.

Glad you are on the way. We just got around Cape Caution sitting in Fury Cove. We have been by ourselves with few other recreational vessels seen. BTW I need more coaching on picking a good weather window for Ilwaco to Neah Bay. Our trip outside was rough.

Last June we were in Fury Cove, and as we were leaving, a boat came in and we were told that it was now off limits to anyone but 1st nation?!? Beautiful place though . . . Never saw any confirmation of this, although I looked.

Back
Top Bottom