Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-18-2021, 12:14 PM   #1
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,699
ASD 2021 Preparations for SE Alaska Cruiese

So the purpose of this thread is to share what ASD's crew is doing to prepare for a summer cruise to SE Alaska. We have a check list of items that need to be accomplish before Crossing the Columbia River Bar.

I would respectively request those who want to discuss COVID to please take your comments to a different thread.

While sitting on the dock yesterday, the Admiral and I started to run down the list of things we would have to do to get ASD ready. It's been a year since she has tasted salt water.

So what have we done so Far? Not much, but it is a start.

1. Received my 2021 Waggoner and Tides and Current

2. Payed the (extortion) annual tax for border patrol

3. Re-applied for my NEXUS Card. It was a good thing the Admiral brought this up as it expired in April.

4. I have arranged for an annual two week haul out at the end of March. Inspect and fix anything on the hull. Cut, buff and wax the hull.


Come March we start unloading storage and packing the boat. We will also run each system and update the navigation charts.

The chart updates are a spendy one, $100 per card. I have 3 Navionics cards and CE Canadian charts.

Not much to start, and lots of $$ but we are making the process.

We will keep everyone updated on our progress.

Again, take your COVID discussions to a different thread.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8968.jpg  
__________________
Advertisement

Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:24 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
w8n4sun's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Mabuhay
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 295
That sounds like a fun trip for you coming up. Good luck and thanks for sharing your process and preparation on undertaking this trip.
__________________

w8n4sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:33 PM   #3
GFC
Guru
 
GFC's Avatar
 
City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,266
Tom, I'd suggest you leave all your fishing gear behind but make sure you bring Miss Kay's gear. After all, hers is the only gear that seems to work. At least that's what Crusty reports on here. Oh, and don't forget to renew HER fishing licenses.

This is a thread I'll enjoy watching.
__________________
Mike and Tina
Beachcomber 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
GFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:41 PM   #4
Guru
 
Crusty Chief's Avatar
 
City: Las Vegas/West Coast
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 1,788
Tom, have you and Kay considered the outside run to Alaska? After many overnight runs down here I’m a lot more comfortable doing the longer runs. I would think that a good weather window from Nea Bay outside of Vancouver Island and further up would allow more time up north than day hops up the inside, night runs on the inside would make me pretty nervous with all the crap that we had to dodge.
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:51 PM   #5
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Tom, I'd suggest you leave all your fishing gear behind but make sure you bring Miss Kay's gear. After all, hers is the only gear that seems to work. At least that's what Crusty reports on here. Oh, and don't forget to renew HER fishing licenses.

This is a thread I'll enjoy watching.
Miss Kay is in charge of all the fishing gear. She seems to change her line every year, but not mine......mmmmmm interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
Tom, have you and Kay considered the outside run to Alaska? After many overnight runs down here Iím a lot more comfortable doing the longer runs. I would think that a good weather window from Nea Bay outside of Vancouver Island and further up would allow more time up north than day hops up the inside, night runs on the inside would make me pretty nervous with all the crap that we had to dodge.
Yeah, but I don't have the range from Neah Bay to K-Town. Plus no fuel at Neah Bay. Plus the weather and seas on the outside are not so good most of the time. Fighting the current is not fun either. I'll stick to the inside.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:53 PM   #6
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9,153
ASD
You might consider a layover in Anacortes to address any mechanical or electrical glitches that show up. With BC stops most likely being for fuel only, any problems would be difficult to address until Ketchikan.

With our vessel unavailable to us in Sidney, my concern is the odd operational happening that normal PM can't address will pop up along the remote stretches of the BC coast. Our boat watcher is great but those darn gothcas are always lurking.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 01:58 PM   #7
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
ASD
You might consider a layover in Anacortes to address any mechanical or electrical glitches that show up. With BC stops most likely being for fuel only, any problems would be difficult to address until Ketchikan.

With our vessel in Sidney my concern is the odd operational happening that normal PM can't address will pop up along the remote stretches of the BC coast. Our boat watcher is great but those darn gothcas are always lurking.
Good point. Our normal stop over is Friday Harbor. Then we work our way up the Island side to Port McNeill.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:48 PM   #8
Member
 
City: ANCHORAGE
Vessel Name: Tripper
Vessel Model: Cooper Prowler 10m Sundeck
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 10
I"ll be watching this thread closely for tips. We bought a boat in Port Orchard over the winter and I'm flying down at the end of March to prep her for the trip up to Alaska, where she'll be homeported in Seward. Tentatively planning on beginning the trip at the end of April.
EyeOnAlaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:02 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
City: Santa Fe, NM
Vessel Name: High Slack
Vessel Model: Selene 43
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 121
Sunchaser-

Iíve been spending the fall and winter in Friday Harbor, and Iím tied up right opposite the customs dock at the breakwater. Deliveries of US boats by Canadian commercial captains is pretty routine. Americans who generally keep their boats in Sidney but are looking to be reunited with them during the border closure are able to arrange a delivery to Friday Harbor pretty easily.
Kawini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 01:00 AM   #10
Guru
 
Soo-Valley's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Miss Kay is in charge of all the fishing gear. She seems to change her line every year, but not mine......mmmmmm interesting.
Back when I fished to the limits, I also changed my line annually. Now the same line is on the unused rods.

There may be a clue in why your line is not changed as often, no wear and tear.
__________________
SteveK
You only need one working engine.
That is why I have two.
Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:45 PM   #11
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Back when I fished to the limits, I also changed my line annually. Now the same line is on the unused rods.

There may be a clue in why your line is not changed as often, no wear and tear.
True, but I think she is setting me up with rotten line.......
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:09 PM   #12
GFC
Guru
 
GFC's Avatar
 
City: Tri Cities, WA
Vessel Name: Beachcomber
Vessel Model: Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
True, but I think she is setting me up with rotten line.......
Fortunately you never have the occasion to put the line to the test!
__________________
Mike and Tina
Beachcomber 1995 Sea Ray 550 Sedan Bridge
GFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:28 PM   #13
Guru
 
Ken E.'s Avatar
 
City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
True, but I think she is setting me up with rotten line.......
Kay's methods work. I've seen a couple big king salmon she's caught.
__________________
Ken on Hatt Trick
Ken E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 08:43 PM   #14
Guru
 
City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 9,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawini View Post
Sunchaser-

Iíve been spending the fall and winter in Friday Harbor, and Iím tied up right opposite the customs dock at the breakwater. Deliveries of US boats by Canadian commercial captains is pretty routine. Americans who generally keep their boats in Sidney but are looking to be reunited with them during the border closure are able to arrange a delivery to Friday Harbor pretty easily.
Thanks. We elected to take a season off (all of 2020) and do some other things. A boat delivery as you describe is likely to happen this spring and then we'd meander to AK. I'm not keen on boating in WA for very long as the tax guys are merciless. Right now we're talking about joining some friends onboard their large vessel in the spring for Seattle to AK. There are some interesting options out there.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:59 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
 
ksanders's Avatar
 
City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeOnAlaska View Post
I"ll be watching this thread closely for tips. We bought a boat in Port Orchard over the winter and I'm flying down at the end of March to prep her for the trip up to Alaska, where she'll be homeported in Seward. Tentatively planning on beginning the trip at the end of April.
End of April to Seward is Easy Peasy. I've done it a few times.

The weather is getting nice, daylight is increasing and it is pretty quiet.

You will find fuel is available during "winter" hours meaning 8-5 or thereabouts.

your weather hold points will be either Port Mcneil or Port Hardy, then Prince Rupert, then Elfin Cove, and Yakutat.

Remember that the Candian forecast system is based on sea states in meters.

Make sure you have tools to fix anything that can happen, and perhaps a satellite phone. Parts can be UPS or FEDEX'sd to Alaskan ports pretty easially.
__________________
Kevin Sanders
Bayliner 4788
Seward, Alaska
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:41 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Retriever's Avatar
 
City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Akeeva
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 50
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 299
We're getting ready, too. Akeeva is on the hard for bottom paint, stabilizer seals, etc. Everything looked pretty good when it came out of the water. I'm working down the list...building a serious offshore medical kit, stocking up on consumables and spare parts, getting the liferaft repacked and a new battery in the EPIRB and PLBs...the list never seems to get shorter!

We're hoping to do the Inside Passage but ready to go offshore, too. We won't need fuel or supplies after such a short time (it's less than four days non-stop). If the weather is good and we're not too exhausted we'd probably go past Ketchikan to Coronation Island. It would be a fun place to make landfall.

Kevin, since you're out of Seward and have way more Gulf of Alaska knowledge than me, how long are typical weather windows in the spring and summer? Is there much chance of a week of good weather for a non-stop Seattle to Seward run?
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:45 PM   #17
Guru
 
Soo-Valley's Avatar
 
City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1,948
IIRC running up on the outside is usually with a following sea, that would not, has not appealed. Heading down on the outside they can be tamed by quartering.
I have only done from offshore to mid island and several fishing trips out of Tofino. Been to Port Hardy from the inside and could see the rollers coming around.
That sea can get calm too, good luck.
Mind you if you make a sail plan to go the outside offshore and the weather gets bad, that is your excuse for going the inside passage for safety.
__________________
SteveK
You only need one working engine.
That is why I have two.
Soo-Valley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:27 PM   #18
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
We're getting ready, too. Akeeva is on the hard for bottom paint, stabilizer seals, etc. Everything looked pretty good when it came out of the water. I'm working down the list...building a serious offshore medical kit, stocking up on consumables and spare parts, getting the liferaft repacked and a new battery in the EPIRB and PLBs...the list never seems to get shorter!

We're hoping to do the Inside Passage but ready to go offshore, too. We won't need fuel or supplies after such a short time (it's less than four days non-stop). If the weather is good and we're not too exhausted we'd probably go past Ketchikan to Coronation Island. It would be a fun place to make landfall.

Kevin, since you're out of Seward and have way more Gulf of Alaska knowledge than me, how long are typical weather windows in the spring and summer? Is there much chance of a week of good weather for a non-stop Seattle to Seward run?
Don't forget Customs in K-Town
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:42 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Retriever's Avatar
 
City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Akeeva
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 50
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Don't forget Customs in K-Town
If we run non-stop from Washington, we wouldn't clear into Canada (although we would check in with the Coast Guard, like the fish boats do). Since our last port of call would be in the US, I don't see why we'd need to clear US Customs. But I'll double check with CBP in Ketchikan to be sure.
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:09 PM   #20
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
If we run non-stop from Washington, we wouldn't clear into Canada (although we would check in with the Coast Guard, like the fish boats do). Since our last port of call would be in the US, I don't see why we'd need to clear US Customs. But I'll double check with CBP in Ketchikan to be sure.
I believe you are correct unless you have to Quarantine.
__________________

Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Trawler Port Captains
Port Captains are TF volunteers who can serve as local guides or assist with local arrangements and information. Search below to locate Port Captains near your destination. To learn more about this program read here: TF Port Captain Program





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×