Article on new Waypoint 36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We've owned our twin Volvo powered trawler for 18 years and we concur with the above. Volvo deserves it's reputation as offering the worst customer service in the industry.

Time to stop repeating or even listening to "Dock Talk" that is not supported by actual evidence?

Indeed.

Along with dock talk, owner induced issues seem to weigh heavily on stated diesel engine problems. As Pogo said many decades ago, " I have seen the enemy and he is us."

We've owned our twin Volvo powered trawler for 18 years and we concur with the above. Volvo deserves it's reputation as offering the worst customer service in the industry.

But yet you've kept the boat for all these years and not thrown out the engines. :confused:

Why should I? The engines are good, it's the factory support that is lacking. There is not one dedicated (Volvo only) dealer in North America.

Why should I? The engines are good, it's the factory support that is lacking. There is not one dedicated (Volvo only) dealer in North America.

Thanks for the clarity. Sounds like you and Mule have a lot in common in many areas. He doesn't like Westerbeke factory support and you feel the same about Volvo.

My opinion is not based on anecdotal dock talk. It was my personal experience and they were not older engines. Personally, I wouldn't consider a boat with Volvo. The service and parts price issues are real. Most of the new EC's in the 40 to 50 ft. range are using Volvo because they are cheaper. There are reasons a new Volvo engine is cheaper than a new Cummins or Cat.

Gettin' back to Tomco, does that new boat have a cored hull or is it solid glass?

Tomco generally does solid glass below the water line and cored in the upper structures.

As for the Volvo; I'm hearing it was picked for the Waypoint partly because there was not a comparable Cummins in that size/power footprint to fit the boat, keeping in mind the Penta D4 is a fairly compact 4-cylinder producing 260hp.

Back
Top Bottom