Old 05-04-2018, 10:32 AM   #1

City: Counce, Tennessee
Vessel Name: Zia Harmony
Vessel Model: Atlas Acadia 25
Archery Equipment on Board

Know there has been discussions about regulations and opinions of guns on board while cruising through various states and countries.

Was wondering how and if those same regulations and opinions would apply to a bow and arrow? Would it be different depending on the set up (for example would think a hunting bow with broad-head arrows would be looked at differently that a recurve bow with a fishing rig attached)?
IronZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:17 PM   #2
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
just like firearms, it is always about jurisdiction and the local laws.

the only sure fire way to know is to contact each one traveling through, a lawyer that specializes in this or

.........at least start with archery organizations that also support interstate transport of archery equipment.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:55 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
just like firearms, it is always about jurisdiction and the local laws...
Yup. Aruba took our spear gun and did not want to give it back although they finally did. Bonaire held our spear gun, flares and flare gun. We’ve been routinely asked about “weapons” onboard. I would think a bow and arrow would qualify as that.

If you declared a bow for fishing, you may be on thin ice in some countries since we frequently had to get local licenses and/or adhere to local fishing regulations and a bow wasn’t listed as approved fishing method that I remember. Pretty hard to hide a bow on aboard during a Customs inspection.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:18 AM   #4

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
Flare guns can easily fire 12 gauge shotgun shells(although not repeatedly or safely)..

Youtube is full of tips on this.

As far as archery goes.. For survival it sounds like a decent idea but for defense? Sounds like a way to get yourself into more trouble.

In all honesty if you haven't trained to use whatever you have and trained well its just a "piece of mind" thing.. The problem is the false sense of security.. Bear mace is shockingly effective even against an armed assailant.

Some people put a handgun in the boat, shoot it a bit and think they're covered not knowing that up against rifles/shotguns it lacks accuracy and firepower.

If you're thinking "pirates" they'll probably be very well armed.
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 06:41 AM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Flare gun and 12 gauge?
Old 05-09-2018, 06:44 AM   #6
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Flare gun and 12 gauge?
I would never ever try to shot a 12 gauge with a flare gun, don't want to risk loosing a hand!

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 07:58 AM   #7

Good point I went off memory and they used an insert to shoot different calibers.

Upgrade to a soviet bloc surplus flare gun.. I've seen those shoot 12gauge first hand.

Old 05-09-2018, 09:12 AM   #8
Guru

City: Boston Area
My 2 cents, which is probably over priced.......

The OP asked about archery equipment. We should try to stay on that issue, as any gun topic tends to drift wildy, get very political, and rapidly loose value.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:45 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
What is the ultimate goal here? Self-Defense? Or are you an avid archer?

I'm playing out the scenario in my head.

1) Armed intruder boards boat.

2) One of the crew puts on a pot of coffee or tea

3) The other crewmember locates the recurve boat in a storage locker.

4) Someone digs and finds the quiver of arrows (You got tired of moving them 5,000 times,
so they slowly migrated to the back of the locker).

5) You Interlace the recurve between your legs in order to string the bow, while your mate serves the tea or coffee.

6) You knock the arrow

7) cream and sugar all around

8) You aim trying not to knock something over or hit a bulkhead because a cocked bow and arrow along with your elbow out back is around 4+ feet long.

9) advise the intruder that he can commence with the attack (or you'd be happy to wait while your mate shows him how the head functions......coffee/tea...you know).

10) Attack resumes.

11) Shot fired and miss.

12) Goto Step #6 and repeat

LOL!!!!

In all honesty, I do feel a bow and arrow are an ineffective weapon. However, I think you have alternate choices. I would either get a large fish-billy, or the absolute smallest baseball bat I could find. A child's bat that can be swung either one-handed or two-handed. Small, light and short will give you extremely fast head speed and allow you repeated blows in quick succession. It will be easier to swing on a small boat. When declared, call it a Fish-Billy for clubbing large fish (explain that you prefer it to the mess of stabbing the head because there is less cleaning on the boat).

You can get a few of them and place one in the cockpit, one in the cabin and one in each stateroom. A much safer, easier and effective solution. Don't bother trying to travel internationally with guns.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:50 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Please note that the scenario in my reply was completely tongue-in-cheek. It was not meant to offend anyone or incite an argument. It was not intended to be confrontational or critical. Just joking around.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:42 AM   #11
Guru

If you are carrying anything for self defense, you better be good with it.

A bat can be turned on you in a second, not so much other weapons at greater ranges... so better be tops with it.

Not sure the OP was suggesting its use for self defense. Just the legality of carrying it.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:44 PM   #12

City: Counce, Tennessee
Vessel Name: Zia Harmony
Vessel Model: Atlas Acadia 25
OP here. I was not thinking for self defense. More on just the legality.

It seams almost all states I have looked at have an open season on bow fishing for Carp without a hunting or fishing license.

I would not think anyone would have a problem with a take down re-curve stored unassembled (3 separate pieces that have to be reassembled to used). Maybe questionable having a compound bow with arrows in the quiver at the ready.
IronZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 01:15 PM   #13
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
If you deal with flaky 3rd world countries, the results can be just as flaky.

Back in '86, I led a diving expedition into central Andros Is Bahamas. San Andros/Stafford Creek area. One of the members wanted to shoot dove for dinner, so we went down the process of getting a 12 gauge legally onto the island. We had to engage the Police Commissioner, and ultimately had a signed document for the gun.

Fast forward a month or so to the customs arrival date; and we proudly presented both the shotgun and the signed paper. The customs officer equally proudly announced our paperwork was no good, since that Police Commissioner was no longer in power. What to do, what to do. It took some extra pocket $ to make this work.
We did eat dove, not sure they were worth the effort.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 05:13 PM   #14

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
I know this is an archery thread and someone suggested we stay on topic, but I just had a cool little brainstorm: hand weights. I.e. small dumbells. Like 2 or 4 lbs, with non-slip coating.

Unlike a bat or even a knife, someone is going to have a hard time taking this from you, because there's only one place to grip it and you got that. And if you are in reasonable shape, hitting someone anywhere on their body with these is going to be very debilitating. It's not going to get noticed in your hand like a knife or bat, or gun, or bow. Obviously this is a close quarters combat deal and not protection against someone with a gun (although in the movies you would just use the dumbbell to deflect all the bullets, right?).

You could have several of these around the boat and they aren't going to draw attention from any gov't official. Would be a lot better than nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
dumbbell.jpg  
Old 05-14-2018, 06:24 PM   #15
Guru

If you are gonna use brass knuckles then get a good set.

Most people cant throw a good punch, let alone with an additional 5 or more pounds in your hand.

Easy to sidestep or roll out of and send a kill shot to your throat or other vital areas.

Like all hand to hand, you have to be better than the other guy, weapons are useless unless you are good with them and the other guy is equal at best.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:49 PM   #16

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
If you are gonna use brass knuckles then get a good set.

Most people cant throw a good punch, let alone with an additional 5 or more pounds in your hand.

Easy to sidestep or roll out of and send a kill shot to your throat or other vital areas.

Like all hand to hand, you have to be better than the other guy, weapons are useless unless you are good with them and the other guy is equal at best.
I didn't say 5 lbs or more, I said 2 or 4. And I didn't say throw a punch. Imagine closing the distance on a perp, spinning to back into him and bring this down on his femur. If he is still standing he bear hugs you or choke holds you. You crash this down on his head, ie. kind of a reverse tomahawk.

You could even fall to the ground and break his ankle (or two).

And brass knucks might be construed as a weapon.

Sure you oughta train, but I think it would be a very good, very stealthy, self defense weapon.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:49 PM   #17

To the OP I didn't mean to turn your thread into a gun setup thread.. Just seemed like you were heading that way based on the language.

If you just want to shoot fish with archery equip I wouldn't take a second thought if I were you. In any country...

Easy to explain away a speargun or archery setup to shoot fish vs what I was talking about.