Anyone Want To Guess...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
... what these guys are doing?

Attachments

• DSC_9605.jpg
    DSC_9605.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 528
Drag racing.

Were you up VHF ch 16 or 21?

Other than that ....could be dozens of things.

Were you up VHF ch 16 or 21?

Other than that ....could be dozens of things.

16, nope it was definitely only one thing - another photo to come once I see if anyone guesses it!

... what these guys are doing?

No idea what these guys are doing except that I think they are driving Safeboat Defender 25s and I want one. Around 100K well used and a few of them around. I have been informed that I have already reached my statutory limit in boat ownership but can still dream....looks like loads of fun at 45 kn.

They are chasing after the small boat that appears to be approaching a ship of some kind. Looks like security to me.

Looks like rescue boats. Late for morning coffee??

Last edited:
Don't see their blue lights flashing so again virtuly impossible to guess. That portion of Fernandina I dont believe is restricted in any way, and those vessels don't look like they warrant a safety zone.

Over that way is Port Consolidated isn't it? Headed for fuel would be one of many guesses.

They may just be training. In the spring we saw four of those staging in that same area. They had come down from the sub base.

Here you go...

There were three of them, zig-zagging across the Sound with the third waiting his turn.

Attachments

• DSC_9606.jpg
    DSC_9606.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC_9608.jpg
    DSC_9608.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC_9610.jpg
    DSC_9610.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 106
Some kind of security drill? Your turn to be the terrorist.
Practicing keeping a bead with a bouncing boat.

Nuclear sub coming. Attack boats out of Cumberland and boomers out of New London. We have seen them both on this trip.

Last edited:
Some kind of security drill? Your turn to be the terrorist.
Practicing keeping a bead with a bouncing boat.

Yep, high speed chase and gun training.

I was actually wondering if there is a receiver on the lead boat with a laser sender on the chase boat.

Last edited:
Next time you might post a warning with videos like that. The stimulation was almost too much. Reminds me of the tortoise races.

Ted
C'mon. It's Victoria. Newlyweds and nearly dead.

If that is too stimulating, there is a lovely rose garden nearby that is also a big hit.

I was actually wondering if there is a receiver on the lead boat with a laser sender on the chase boat.

Apparently I was way off...

I'll suggest to the new owner of the Victoria ferries to add some lasers and guns. Spice it up a little.

Maybe a killer whale or two as well.

They are RB29's (not 25s) and should have been communicating on CG112 (either encrypted or in the clear) rather than 16 or 22A.

The absence of flashing blue lights is a perceptive understanding that they're not engaged in Law Enforcement activity.

Semper Paratus
Don

They are RB29's (not 25s) and should have been communicating on CG112 (either encrypted or in the clear) rather than 16 or 22A.

The absence of flashing blue lights is a perceptive understanding that they're not engaged in Law Enforcement activity.

Semper Paratus
Don

Pretty sure the blue lights mean its a LE vessel, but can be used on any mission, usually one where speed and possibly siren is warranted...especially SAR.

I suggested ch 16 or 21 because IF it was SAR, they may have been talking on it and it might have been a clue.

33CFR88
(a) Law enforcement vessels may display a flashing blue light when engaged in direct law enforcement or public safety activities. This light must be located so that it does not interfere with the visibility of the vessel's navigation lights.
(b) The blue light described in this section may be displayed by law enforcement vessels of the United States and the States and their political subdivisions.

Last edited:
They are in the St Mary's inlet north-northwest of Fernandina, and that is where the subs do come and go to get to King's Bay.

Pretty sure the blue lights mean its a LE vessel, but can be used on any mission, usually one where speed and possibly siren is warranted...especially SAR.

33CFR88
(a) Law enforcement vessels may display a flashing blue light when engaged in direct law enforcement or public safety activities. This light must be located so that it does not interfere with the visibility of the vessel's navigation lights.
(b) The blue light described in this section may be displayed by law enforcement vessels of the United States and the States and their political subdivisions.

As a practical matter, Blue lights aren't energized unless there is good cause. Training (e.g. practicing SAR patterns, Set & Drift testing, or what is shown in photo) doesn't warrant alerting onlookers to a facility operating with urgency. Active Duty or CGAUX facilities will display blue, or red/amber lights, respectively, when maintaining exclusion zones, or when engaged in '2 boat training' (mutual towing or simulating boarding of bad guys) except when lights pose a danger; e.g. air show regattas, when jets are arriving on station, the zone becomes HOT and lights are immediately extinguished so as not to confuse aerial navigation.

Generally, badging, signage, flags, etc., adequately identify assets. When a fire truck, ambulance, police vehicle or USCG Response Boat energizes lights and/or sirens, it's obviously to signify transition from a routine to urgent situation that requires traffic to make way. Even when dispatched on SAR cases, however, CGAUX patrol boats are never authorized to use lights or exceed speed limits.

Semper Paratus
Don

We have seen attack boats twice in St Mary’s and saw a boomer departing New London a week or two ago.

Ok, all I pointed out was that they are allowed by law to use the lights basically any time they want....but usually when urgency is required or they want people to stay clear.

Doesn't seem to have changed since I was in.

Agreed. There is a sensitivity, however, to not abusing the use just to RTB for a TV show, for instance.

Behavior control is stronger than ever.

Semper Paratus
Don

Active Duty or CGAUX facilities will display blue, or red/amber lights, respectively, when maintaining exclusion zones, or when engaged in '2 boat training' (mutual towing or simulating boarding of bad guys)

Did you mean to write CGAUX there?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom