Old 04-29-2018, 01:41 PM   #21
Guru

City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Vessel Name: Papillon
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
In the garage I have a "AC-Kontrollbox mit AC-Start Booster" that came with a 4K Panda gen set that is now history. Perhaps this could be used to alleviate the start up current problem.

I havent the foggiest idea what it does but I did open the box and there is a 4x6 circuit board and a bank of capacitors. I havent tried to trace out the circuit on the board so dont know exactly what it does. But the name has a promising sound to it.

There is a cable entry, but the cable is not there. If I could find some instructions on how to use it it might solve that start up problem. Whether the Westerbeke 8K would run an accessory for a 4K Panda or not is another question.

jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 01:48 PM   #22
Guru

Controlling DC speed is relatively easy. You just chop up the DC into variable width pulses and control the width of the pulses. On my hybrid car I used a DC motor driving as witching circuit and could vary the smaller DC motor speed with DC amplitude thus varying the pulse width. These days with ICs it would be MUCH easier than it was back in 1972.

Old 04-29-2018, 02:04 PM   #23
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Use caution dealing with capacitors, since they can store lots of power for years.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 02:54 PM   #24

City: Kiln,MS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
In the garage I have a "AC-Kontrollbox mit AC-Start Booster" that came with a 4K Panda gen set that is now history. Perhaps this could be used to alleviate the start up current problem.

I havent the foggiest idea what it does but I did open the box and there is a 4x6 circuit board and a bank of capacitors. I havent tried to trace out the circuit on the board so dont know exactly what it does. But the name has a promising sound to it.

There is a cable entry, but the cable is not there. If I could find some instructions on how to use it it might solve that start up problem. Whether the Westerbeke 8K would run an accessory for a 4K Panda or not is another question.
It sounds like a start capacitor setup the key would be to find a diagram and the specs. It should help but it's hard to say how well it would work. But it's definitely worth looking into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimisbell View Post
Controlling DC speed is relatively easy. You just chop up the DC into variable width pulses and control the width of the pulses. On my hybrid car I used a DC motor driving as witching circuit and could vary the smaller DC motor speed with DC amplitude thus varying the pulse width. These days with ICs it would be MUCH easier than it was back in 1972.
DC is much easier. Down side the current requirements. What about golf cart controls/motors. They can be had up to 48v so that would help cut the current draw down a good amount plus parts are readily available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
Use caution dealing with capacitors, since they can store lots of power for years.
X2!!! They will put you on your ass if they're charged.
BIG CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 03:44 PM   #25
Guru

Many years ago we built up a HUGE capacitor bank, 12' long, 4' high and 3'wide It stored up a HUGE amount of energy. It was used to simulate an explosion of dynamite under water when towed in salt water behind a boat with geo sensors on it for finding oil in the sea bottom. It was safer than a deck full of dynamite. Barely....LOL
Old 04-29-2018, 03:54 PM   #26
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
It seems like everybody always wants to reinvent the wheel, if it was truly workable it would of already been done. It was tried on production sailing cats in the early 2000's and it failed miserably. It appears to work on cruise ships because they have an incredible house load, and the generators work for both house and propulsion, they just bring more generators online as needed.. and you need electric motors for pod drives.
Hp is HP. Electric or Diesel supplied.
HOLLYWOOD

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote