Anyone Try this Dive System

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anybody know how many cubic feet per minute of air you need to breathe? Would a compressor that puts out 1/2 cu ft @ 90 psi work for a shallow water dive rig?

That’s not enough air. My hooka puts out about 2.5 cfm at 90 psi and based how hard I’m working, I’m close to the limit.

I would suggest, if you are leaving the hookah onboard the boat, install a reserve tank so if some idiot disconnects the electric, you dont surface and beat the crap out of them.

I do have a Harbor Freight compressor and tank to power my air horns. I am pretty sure it was made in China.
For a make-shift hookah I would pay more to get a compressor not made in China. This is the same country that provided poisonous red glaze on coffee cups and a bunch of substandard stuff.

That’s not enough air. My hooka puts out about 2.5 cfm at 90 psi and based how hard I’m working, I’m close to the limit.

Thanks Larry. That’s what I was thinking. This is the air compressor I was hoping would work but it doesn’t put out enough air.

Attachments

• 8DF5E6FF-B795-4746-A013-9A5DCC43F644.jpeg
    8DF5E6FF-B795-4746-A013-9A5DCC43F644.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 34
Does anybody know how many cubic feet per minute of air you need to breathe? Would a compressor that puts out 1/2 cu ft @ 90 psi work for a shallow water dive rig?

No. You need something close to 2 CFM.

Please don't use a compressor that is not designed for diving. Very dangerous.

There are no compressors designed for diving. Not at the recreational level at any rate. Every single compressor used in every single commercially-available hookah rig was designed for another purpose.

I have to agree with Ted’s reply about being able to kill yourself by being unaware. As a former military salvage and EOD diver I’ve witnessed an air gas embolism in as little as 3 feet of water. I’d suggest contacting a dive shop for a short, in pool training session for whatever rig you go with. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I have a dual dive Seabreathe

Not sure if this is where I would be allowed to post this, but we have one of these. Good, clean condition. May need a battery. Anyone want this for a reasonable offer? We’re in FL.

Built my own with a $99 oil-less compressor, a second-hand regulator and an 50' quick attach air hose. I only go down 6' 2" to the bottom of the keel.

To get back to the original question, I would be very surprised if that 10' hose setup would be very useful, assuming the compressor can keep up with you down to 6+ feet of depth. Six feet in and six feet down in a straight line is 8.49 feet. That is if you have a 12' beam and 6' draft.

We did get the 12volt unit (linked to below) back in 2015 with an additional 100' hose. Note, if I remember correctly the compressor will support one diver down to 60' but we got the longer hoses just to give us more horizontal flexibility at much shallower depth.

https://airlinebyjsink.com/collections/unit-type/products/12v160-3

We are both certified OW divers but did not want to hassle with refilling tanks when we were stuck in Costa Rica with a bad stuffing box and 100+ miles from the nearest reasonable haulout option. The AirLine system saved us as it let me work pretty much indefinitely under the boat.

We are spoiled by usually using BCDs and it was a challenge to get the right buoyancy without a BCD and dragging down a floating hose. The unit is a bit of a pain to set up for diving with couplings that have to be screwed together and unfortunately you can't use your own regulator or BCD with it. Still, the system definitely worked and served us well.

I've had a SeaBreathe for six years and use it about 1/2 dozen times a year usually for bottom work but occasionally for shallow water diving. As I get older, I can't hold my breath long for free-diving. When diving, I put the unit and battery in the dinghy and drag it with its anchor line.

I'm certified (although haven't dived with tanks in 20 years). The best thing about the Seabreath for a boat is how small it is and it comes with its own case. Stores compactly in a locker. No need for tank racks on the boat. No planning to fill tanks. It's always ready to go.

I got the two person unit with two regulators and 30ft hoses. It works OK for two as long as both divers know how to breathe. You can also put the two 30 hoses together so one person has 60ft of hose.

A really important part of the SeaBreathe system is the 6ft long air bladder that inflates. This smooths out the air flow and gives you a reserve if you get ahead of the pump. Without this bladder I think you'd need a much bigger pump

https://www.seabreathe.com/collections/two-person-deck-units/products/single-diver-float-unit#desc

Last edited:
Several have already mentioned the importance of a diving cert course. The point being, holding your breath at 10 ft with surface-supplied air and making a rapid ascent can over expand your lungs and cause an air embolism. Better be safe than sorry. A non-certified scuba diver can buy scuba equipment online so don’t think the seller of this product has any legal obligation to mention taking a certification course.

Several have already mentioned the importance of a diving cert course. The point being, holding your breath at 10 ft with surface-supplied air and making a rapid ascent can over expand your lungs and cause an air embolism. Better be safe than sorry. A non-certified scuba diver can buy scuba equipment online so don’t think the seller of this product has any legal obligation to mention taking a certification course.
Bolded, Is this for real? I would have thought a lung full of surface air would reduce in size @ 10ft and re inflate if held throughout. Otherwise all those 2nd level dives at the pool would be a grave concern.
Deep dives with a tank you use more air volume the deeper you go and must exhale coming up at a speed no greater than the bubbles you exhale. A deep dive is over much sooner than a shallow dive with the same tank size depleted.
In fact at 70 feet the gauge went into the red but was in the green at the surface.

Bolded, Is this for real? I would have thought a lung full of surface air would reduce in size @ 10ft and re inflate if held throughout.

It is absolutely real. Remember, the surface air is delivered to you at 10' under pressure (~1.3 atmospheres) by the surface compressor. Otherwise you wouldn't need the compressor and could just breathe through a snorkel.

-Sven

It is absolutely real. Remember, the surface air is delivered to you at 10' under pressure (~1.3 atmospheres) by the surface compressor. Otherwise you wouldn't need the compressor and could just breathe through a snorkel.

-Sven
My bad, I missed that part, thought it was a free dive, the holding your breath suggested that a breath was taken/held at surface.

I agree with OC diver. All systems work well as long as you understand change of pressures and how it affects your body. NEVER hold your breath!
Take a quick scuba course.
It bears repeating, in this case what you don’t know can really kill you,

Even 10’ underwater can put you in danger

I am not affiliated with this company. I am thinking of getting one. Would be good cleaning the boat bottom.

https://www.diveblu3.com/nemo/?utm_...lu3friday&mc_cid=fb39ff4aab&mc_eid=e5e1371d9b

It’s great to clean your own boat and Sport diving is a wonderful hobby.

Using a hooka or even worse a home made hooka system can cause all kinds of problems for the diver.

Take a diver certification class and learn what safety precultions you need to be aware.

Wear a wet suit and appropriate quick release weight belt.

Last edited:
Thank you...was wondering if he meant it was because they were hookas or because non-divers think they are for non-divers. :D

Some scuba divers think that hookahs are unsafe and like to tell others all about a subject they know little about.

The key danger in any underwater diving situation is to remember to continuously breathe. It seems intuitive and yet it is not as intuitive as you may think. Holding your breath while in 8’ water depth with breath being held can cause serious injury.
Especially near the surface.
Diving in a shallow 10 foot depth one needs a tank or an air pressure to inhale air at depth. It sounds simple enough.
What could go wrong, go wrong, go wrong, go wrong?

As one who went through the dive tank (tower) twice in Conn..... The pressure at sea level doubles every 33+ft. When you make a free ascent, if you take a breath at 33 ft and if you do not continuously exhale (blowing out as hard as you can) while ascending, your lungs can rupture. That's a polite way of say, your lungs will explode.
At 10ft, your lungs are a bit compressed so if you take a breath at 10ft, of compressed air, and make a free ascending, you may very well experience trouble too.

Last edited:
Reactions: cks
Some of us have been Scuba certified for many decades and know the safety issues inside and out and STILL make their own hookas and clean bottoms, remove tangled lines.

For me, it' mostly convenience over tanks....

AND have countless safety training hours and courses in multiple disciplines.

No it's not for everyone...especially those with no training at all......but that hardly can be determined by someone who doesn't know you, the situation, etc...etc...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom