Anyone opened an inspection cover for a fuel tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No mess in changing the racor. Just drain the housing through the petcock in the bottom of the bowl before removing the element.

If you did periodic checks of the separator bowl while underway, you wouldn't be trying to change a filter underway.

Drawing fuel samples while underway is unrealistic. While it probably isn't necessary running 8 hours or less, if you're doing overnight trips or multiple day runs up the coast, knowing fuel filtration status becomes more important.

Ted
Do what works for you. I like the solid filters and vacuum gauges. There are times that filter changes happen underway even when unexpected or properly maintained and I don't think anyone would agree that changing a racor is easier than sliding a zip lock bag over the spin off and changing in under two minutes.

Takes about 30 seconds to change my racor and a quick wipe of the housing.

Again....maybe not "best"...... but what really is and does that difference matter worth a spit?

Obviously peolle use what they trust once they have enough experience with systems....and it takes a lot of "positives" to change their minds.

Messy racor changes doesnt even hit my threshold to discuss as it isnt messy for me compared to any other filter system.

Last edited:
Takes about 30 seconds to change my racor and a quick wipe of the housing.

Again....maybe not "best"...... but what really is and does that difference matter worth a spit?

Obviously peolle use what they trust once they have enough experience with systems....and it takes a lot of "positives" to change their minds.

Messy racor changes doesnt even hit my threshold to discuss as it isnt messy for me compared to any other filter system.

Yeah, that's why I said in my opinion and do what works for you, just giving another perspective, not trying to change anyone's mind. I could care less what anyone does with their stuff but there are other options for the OP besides racor.

Do what works for you. I like the solid filters and vacuum gauges. There are times that filter changes happen underway even when unexpected or properly maintained and I don't think anyone would agree that changing a racor is easier than sliding a zip lock bag over the spin off and changing in under two minutes.
In my case, changing the filter underway is as simple as flipping the lever 180 degrees. Dual Racor 1000s allow you to far more QUICKLY resolve a clogged primary filter, or determine if it's something else.

Ted

In my case, changing the filter underway is as simple as flipping the lever 180 degrees. Dual Racor 1000s allow you to far more QUICKLY resolve a clogged primary filter, or determine if it's something else.

Ted

Yep, that's the proper way to set one up I think, doesn't make sense on my little boat but any decent sized cruiser will benefit from a redundant system.

Well, I think it is easier to change the Racor filters than it is the on engine filter. That filter on the Cummins is really setup nicely, but even so the Racor element comes out easy and goes in easy. To each his own of course.

The key is to change it regularly regardless.

Back
Top Bottom