Old 08-05-2022, 07:19 PM   #1
Guru

City: SC
Vessel Name: Calypso
Vessel Model: 1981 Fairchild Scout
Anyone near Oxnard CA?

Thinking of looking at this boat, but on the East Coast so a major trip for us. We might go to Pebble Beach Concours and drive the 300 plus miles down, stopping in Santa Barbara, but it sure would be nice for a trusted Tralwer Forum member to put their eyes on her. A broker told me not so good, but then again he was selling the very same model so I took that with a grain of salt. Interesting enough they only made three of these according to Outer Reef and two were for sale, this being the last on the market. Anyone have a trusted surveyor near there I could contact?

https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/200...-cpmy-8350245/
Attached Thumbnails
7571729_20210207151026818_1_XLARGE.jpg   7571729_20200829200118116_1_XLARGE.jpg   7571729_20220602233323966_1_XLARGE.jpg   7571729_20200829205221717_1_XLARGE.jpg  
Adopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:32 AM   #2
Guru

City: Los Angeles
Adopo, not sure that I'm a 'trusted member' here but I live about 40 miles from Oxnard.
That boat is a bit more than what I'm in the market for but I'd be happy to have a look.
PM me with the specifics you are interested/concerned with, etc.
Old 08-14-2022, 11:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Ventura, CA
Vessel Name: Windfall
Vessel Model: 2006 Camano 41
surveyor

Two good marine surveyors in the area are:
Ross Hubbard
Mike Pyzel

google either one for contact info.

Dan
Dan Cahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 05:14 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnotYet View Post
Adopo, not sure that I'm a 'trusted member' here but I live about 40 miles from Oxnard.
That boat is a bit more than what I'm in the market for but I'd be happy to have a look.
PM me with the specifics you are interested/concerned with, etc.
Anyone with the mighty Iowa in their avatar is a trusted member period! That would be incredible, let's chat, I'll send you a message. Can you imagine being on that ship during that moment....? Don't even think about being on the other end.
Attached Thumbnails
600px-BB61_USS_Iowa_BB61_broadside_USN.jpg  
Old 08-14-2022, 05:14 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Cahn View Post
Two good marine surveyors in the area are:
Ross Hubbard
Mike Pyzel

google either one for contact info.

Dan
Thank you!
Old 08-15-2022, 09:09 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I'd be curious what "not good" means. That is too arbitrary. I'd hire a surveyor.

No offense to "KnotYet", as this is not directed at him (directly or indirectly). How would you know whether I knew what I was looking at? I can drive my dinghy up to the Groton, Ct Submarine base, pose in front of the "The Mighty USS Nautilus" and upload the picture this afternoon. That doesn't mean I know how to survey a boat.

Best of Luck
1. A small insectivorous mammal resembling a mouse, with a long pointed snout and tiny eyes.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

City: Tampa
Vessel Name: Say Goodbye
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
In an amazing coincidence, not only am I in Oxnard, but Vamanos is in the slip adjoining my Dad's slip (he doesn't have a big boat, just a big slip...). Unfortunately, I'm flying back east today so wouldn't be able to coordinate getting on it today. Wish I'd seen your post a few days ago as I've admired Outer Reefs and would have enjoyed taking a look.
BroadCove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 11:25 AM   #8
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
That doesn't mean I know how to survey a boat.
Best of Luck
I do believe KnotYet has demonstrated enough smarts to be able to look the vessel over and give a snapshot learned opinion.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 03:41 PM   #9
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
I do believe KnotYet has demonstrated enough smarts to be able to look the vessel over and give a snapshot learned opinion.
Agree, its the internet so you have to take everything with the proverbial grain of salt, but KY is one of the people on here who’s posts I always read. Smart guy, and very knowledgeable about boats.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 06:09 PM   #10
Guru

City: Los Angeles
Gee, thanks for the kind words!

While I enjoy sharing what modest knowledge I have gained, I have the
utmost respect for the qualified marine surveyors I've known and the ones,
like Steve D'A, whose writings I've read.

By any comparison I am a true amateur.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:33 PM   #11
Veteran Member

City: Tampa
Vessel Name: Say Goodbye
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Closing the loop on this one because it shows the power of TF. I first saw this thread yesterday morning, happened to literally be right next to the boat listed, and, working with the OP, was able to get on the boat before I left town later that afternoon.

Will be following up with the OP on specifics, but it's a very nice boat in good shape. Like any boat, esp. one that is 10+ years old and has been cruised, there are opportunities to make improvements, and I didn't do a "survey" of any kind. But it was clean, well-cared for, engines started immediately w/ no smoke, etc. (And I know it hadn't been started earlier in the day because I could see the boat from where I was staying.)

Also wanted to put in a good word for the broker, Greg Real. I've never met him before or worked with him. But he was willing, with just a few hours notice, to show me the boat as someone who was open with him that I wasn't a buyer, and that I was looking at the boat on behalf of someone I've never met (except on this thread). Not every broker would have made time to show me the boat and be happy to do so.
BroadCove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 02:03 PM   #12
Guru

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadCove View Post
Closing the loop on this one because it shows the power of TF. I first saw this thread yesterday morning, happened to literally be right next to the boat listed, and, working with the OP, was able to get on the boat before I left town later that afternoon.

Will be following up with the OP on specifics, but it's a very nice boat in good shape. Like any boat, esp. one that is 10+ years old and has been cruised, there are opportunities to make improvements, and I didn't do a "survey" of any kind. But it was clean, well-cared for, engines started immediately w/ no smoke, etc. (And I know it hadn't been started earlier in the day because I could see the boat from where I was staying.)

Also wanted to put in a good word for the broker, Greg Real. I've never met him before or worked with him. But he was willing, with just a few hours notice, to show me the boat as someone who was open with him that I wasn't a buyer, and that I was looking at the boat on behalf of someone I've never met (except on this thread). Not every broker would have made time to show me the boat and be happy to do so.
Thank you so much and what a crazy coincidence! I think in some circles they call it the Magic BB. Just a very lucky shot in the dark that brought about incredible results. In fact, if I was paranoid I'd swear the broker set it up lol. Looking forward to chatting to see if I will make the trip out there. Way to go Trawler Forum, what great members you have. And than you Lee for the offer as well.
Old 08-20-2022, 07:00 PM   #13

City: Channel Islands harbor CA.
outer reef 63

AAA marine the cat dealer hear did my original survey in
florida when I bought the boat and has all the service records since we have been back here.

Jeff Schlegal has done all the electronics.

It is the nicest O R on the market of that size and vintage I have cruised it for over 14,000 miles
We have learned that the dealer in Seattle has been negative on out boat and he has never seen it.
ggvernon@gmail.com if you want the truth and facts about this boat.
the ones with
C 9 engines could never stay up with us at cruise and we burned the same amount of fuel It is even better now with the new Vreem 5 blade props and very smooth.
genevernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 08:37 PM   #14

City: Channel Islands harbor CA.
vamonos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadCove View Post
In an amazing coincidence, not only am I in Oxnard, but Vamanos is in the slip adjoining my Dad's slip (he doesn't have a big boat, just a big slip...). Unfortunately, I'm flying back east today so wouldn't be able to coordinate getting on it today. Wish I'd seen your post a few days ago as I've admired Outer Reefs and would have enjoyed taking a look.
Ask me I'll tell you all about it,,it is a great boat! 2000 hours at 10 kts. For C12 its just now broke in!
genevernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 12:50 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by genevernon View Post
Ask me I'll tell you all about it,,it is a great boat! 2000 hours at 10 kts. For C12 its just now broke in!
Wow, I did not expect to hear from the owner, but that's the power of TF! PM sent, thanks for the post.