Anyone For A Fleming!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
Common as muck around here! :)

Attachments

• DSC_9905.jpg
    DSC_9905.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 172
My favorite boats.

I know they're not perfect, but they look perfect. There's just no line out of place.

I delivered a 55 from Bellingham Wa to San Diego. The boat's performed at sea was remarkable. We averaged 10 kts made good with one fuel stop at Bodega Bay. Head seas, following seas, beam seas. Quiet, solid.. Remarkable. She could have gone faster but I'm always conservative with a client's boat.

The short coming in my opinion for a $1mil boat is the two guest state rooms. They just don't work for average sized adults. The delivery boat had a two bunk stateroom like the Yachtworld listing. That's where I bunked the crew. I took the room on the other side it didn't have the desk. Upper and lower bunks. I'm not a big man, 5 ft 8 in, and it was too small for me. We had been denied use of the master stateroom.
Well, if we want to have a discussion IMO there are some imperfections with the 55!

Have a look at this one and give me thoughts. Would you pay a million for it if that is what your budget was?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2004/fleming-55-3707497/

One of my favorites. My understanding is that most of those aren't for sale. They are owned but get preferential treatment for docking. Smart move by Burr Yachts as it makes a strong market impression.

Ted

But if I owned one, I would be sleeping in the master. It would be the guests that would have the smaller berths. The really only thing wrong is the builtin furniture. But I could have that removed. The engine room is tight to keep the profile and CG low but if I could afford it I could pay some mechanic to work on them.

Last edited:
One of my favorites. My understanding is that most of those aren't for sale. They are owned but get preferential treatment for docking. Smart move by Burr Yachts as it makes a strong market impression.

Ted

Yes, they work on them there as well. When we were tied up at Moore Haven there was a 65 on the River House dock. We had a nice long chat. They were on their way to Burrs to leave the boat for the month of December while they traveled for the holidays and to have a list of work completed.

But if I owned one, I would be sleeping in the master. It would be the guests that would have the smaller berths. The really only thing wrong is the builtin furniture. But I could have that removed. The engine room is tight to keep the profile and CG low but if I could afford it I could pay some mechanic to work on them.
Of course the guests get the smaller berths. But, for me, if I were to pay $1mil for a used boat I'd want my guests to be more comfortable.

The engine room was crawling room but enough space to get all around the main engines. We were down there once an hour. I think routine maintenance wouldn't be too painful The fuel manifold was a beautiful set up. Valve handles in front of a panel with lines showing where you are directing the fuel to / from. I wouldn't want to maintain it with everything tucked away out of sight.

The tight spot was the laz. Both the gen and watermaker were crammed in there.

Our favorite is the Fleming 65. If I hit the Lotto tomorrow, I'll be boarding my new 65 in a week.

Lots of great stuff about Flemings, but the owner's stateroom should be mid-ship, especially on a long range cruising boat. My only other major complaint is that a dream boat should have a standup engine room.

I figure if I will the lotto I will take a year deciding what the best option is for me there are lots of choices. I would not want overly elegant interior rather high quality and functional. Yes stand up engine room.

In the mid 90's had the great good fortune to deliver the 55 of a well known person several times a year over about seven years anywhere between Duluth, Manhattan and Quebec city.

I had that boat out in some pretty nasty (mostly on Superior & Erie). What an absolute joy to run when things got snotty and a pleasure for close quarter handling.

I'm gad Bess and I aren't the only ones that have criticisms of Flemings. Bess and I loved these boats, but while sitting at a bar in Morehead City two years ago, we met a transient couple with a 55 (BTW they ALL memorize their hull number) that gave us a tour. They say you shouldn't meet your heroes... and they are right. We were wildly disappointed in the use of interior space and the insanely small engine space considering the boat's size. Sure, as for seaworthyness, there are few better, but what good is being able to cross and ocean when halfway across you need to fix something and can't get to it? Still, they are lovely on the outside... and that is something I guess.

Always loved the 55. Anything bigger I can't keep at my marina and I can't afford anyway.

When I overtake them on the ICW they are about the only guys that say roll on by and don't bother with a slow pass. I and I have a 58 Symbol so that's a big wake on plane. Must be very stable boats.

Cons: Master is in the V. When it's windy at anchor you know that's got to be loud. Or when underway - nobody's sleeping in.

Guest cabins - My boat only has 2 cabins but the master is amidship and the VIP is in the bow but I think my VIP has more room than their master. We bought it used but figured a bunk bed cabin wouldn't get much use anyway.

Wife needs galley up. Both for motion sickness and to be part of everything.

Engine room - saw a video "walk through" of it. Every thing was you can see this here or see that there. Seems like you would need to do a lot of "boat Yoga" to do the service on it. Doesn't seem very repairable while underway.

But yes I'd still like to have one :)

Our favorite is the Fleming 65. If I hit the Lotto tomorrow, I'll be boarding my new 65 in a week.

I don't like the 55 either. Just compare it to the 58 and you'll see some of it's shortcomings. In building the 58, I think Fleming recognized them. I think having the master in the bow is just unacceptable on that model. The 58 has a full beam owner's stateroom and a walkaround cabin in the bow and a third room with bunks. Also, the 58 is faster and at 8 to 10 knots has greater range. The 58 is actually closer in usable size to the 65 than to the 55.

Now, the 65 is still the most desirable of the three, but not by much.

Then of course there is the 78 and the recently introduced 85. I've never been on either of those.

If I could afford anything in this price range, I'd have a Krogen Express.

I will never be able to afford anything in this price range, lol.

Also not a fan of the forward master and the tight engine room either.

For a bit more I’d go to a 58 or Selene 57 for a bit bit more the Bering 65 with the midship master

For a bit less the two stateroom Selene 53

Flemings are common. If you don't want to see yourself coming...

Attachments

• 550344C1-F059-4A70-92D6-FC014F924E79.jpg
    550344C1-F059-4A70-92D6-FC014F924E79.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 78
IMG_4697.jpg

In town right now, getting some work done! Pretty nice... to see out of the water. And most people worry about cost of a bottom job.... I don’t think this guy does.

Back
Top Bottom