Old 02-14-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Anyone familiar with Mariner Yachts?

Went to the Miami Boat Show today and came away impressed with the Mariner Yachts 37 Pilothouse as a relativey affordable coastal cruiser.* The admiral and I both liked the layout and the fit and finish seemed decent.* Good mix of indoor/outdoor space for Fla./Bahamas cruising.* It's a "fast trawler" type with top speed around 17k at WOT but pretty economical around 7-8.*

I haven't heard much about the brand (Chinese build), but it got a pretty good writeup in PM.* Anyone know anything about these boats?

[Edit: should have mentioned that the proper name is the Seville Pilothouse Trawler]

-- Edited by AdamT at 23:35, 2008-02-14
AdamT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 03:44 AM   #2
FF
Guru

RE: Anyone familiar with Mariner Yachts?

but it got a pretty good writeup in PM

Have you EVER seen anything that wasn't a puff piece for any advertiser in pm?

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 07:59 AM   #3
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411

Adam, I did see the piece in PMM and it lookes like a really neat boat. Seems like they packed a lot into a "small" package. My only reservation was the exterior lines of the boat. In order to get all that space I do think they sacrafice some aesthetics. I am not saying it is ugly....just different...and this from a 2 dimensional medium.

Along the same lines, The Carver Mariner(ironic)...the hightop tennis shoe looking thing....aint the greatest looking boat but they have sold thousands...and I know why...because the layout on that boat is literally unbelievable. You can access ALL areas of the boat without taking more than 3 steps up or down(brilliant)...it is the neatest damn boat out and the reason you see so many.

Anyway, I was definitely intrigued when I read the article in PMM. And it was a great price as well. It definitely gave me a lasting impression.

-- Edited by Baker at 10:00, 2008-02-15
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:44 AM   #4

My wife and I have looked at the Seville 37 at the Seattle Boat Show in both 2007 and 2008. Very nice boats, really well finished. They are planning on introducing a two stateroom version using some area forward of the engine room. We met the owner during the January 08 boat show...very nice guy and quite affable. He is in China almost every month to insure quality and production schedules. I was told they have a "dedicated" yard in China rather than using the large yard in Zuhai. I think they would be more than happy to work with buyers to tailor a boat to whatever is desired. I did not like the fact that there were no side decks but that is pretty much becoming a standard among pilothouse designs.

Roger Drill, the once manufacturer/owner of Pacific Trawlers (the 37' and 40' pilothouse trawlers) is now working with the Seattle based brokerage for Mariner Yachts. http://www.islandyachtbrokers.com/

The Seville 37 doesn't come with quite as long a "standard" equipment list as the North Pacific 39. The North Pacific is priced better too. We took a very serious look at the North Pacific and at $289,000 it is a standout, big time bargain. The North Pacific also does not have side decks. You access the dock from the cockpit or from the forward deck. It is a long jump to the dock from the deck adjacent to the pilothouse. We also met the owner of North Pacific, Trevor Brice, who is very deeply involved in his business and very knowledgable.

Good vibrations from both companies.

http://www.northpacificyachts.com/39_buying.html
Steppen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 08:53 PM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Adam T,

No, but I'm very famillar with a Marin Yacht.

Eric
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:28 PM   #6
Scraping Paint

City: -

Eric-

And don't forget Marin mountain bikes.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

thanks for the replies. it's good to hear that the owner is keeping close tabs on the yard. i actually liked the looks of the seville. looks better in person than in the pics, imo. i like the north pacific boats too, but if i recall they have less outdoor space. will check them out again.
AdamT is offline   Reply With Quote