Anyone familiar with Eagle Trawlers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moby Nick

Vessel Name
Du NORD
Vessel Make
Albin-25
We were on vacation in Punta Gorda, FL last week and came across an interesting ad in a boat for-sale mag. It was for a 1970 Eagle Trawler with a 120 Ford Lehman, new transmission fg hull and wood superstructure w/ fg cap, kept under covered slip 25 yrs. I thought the price of $22,000 interesting.

Not serious about trading our Albin-25 (I like trailering), but thought the boat, billed as "economical) unusual.

Why? Economical is a relative term and for those that are looking at that type boat probably understand what was meant by it.

Eagle Trawlers

In terms of my Albin-25 "economical" means 1/2 gph at 8 knots with our Volvo-Penta 35hp diesel. Not many boat owners today would be satisfied with those specs, but we like them a lot. Today, a 40' Trawler like the Eagle would likely be powered by twin engines exceeding 150hp each instead of the single Lehman.

True but the Eagle us a lot more boat...dragging around more accommodations has its price.

It is more economical than a new 50 Viking sportfish in many ways.

The moniker "Eagle" has been thrown around a lot concerning boat manufacturers. The one I'm familiar with is the pre Marine Trader trawler out of Taiwan via Miller Yacht Sales in Toms River New Jersey. I don't know why they changed the name to Marine Trader unless it was because every other trawler in the early 70's seemed to be named "Eagle".

They had a very large scale model (like 6 foot long) of the "American Eagle Trawler" in their office in Toms River. I remember looking it over between sessions during my own boat purchase so long ago. They said they had a lot of offers for it but it was not for sale. Some times they would bring it to boat shows.

So... if it looks like a Marine Trader, smells like a Marine Trader and leaks like a Marine Trader it's probably an early version of a Marine Trader. A rose by any other name...

Back
Top Bottom