Anyone Berthed at John Wayne, Sequim?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Even Kiehl

Vessel Name
Even Kiehl
Hi, Am moving to Agnew and set to buy a 30' cool boat with an anchor roller and swimstep. The Sequim marina wants EXACT total measurement to the inch. Waiting till seller can provide that, which will be next week.
If 32' I have a year or two wait. If 35 slip is needed, then longer. Port Angeles similar situation as covid had filled up all the Neah Bay Bay boats in their slips

I can leave the boat, now in the Seattle area, somewhere else for that time and discover new cruising grounds. And drive to the boat. This could have some advantages, as from Sequim I would be using the boat to maybe get to the same general cruising grounds. I do not know the area, so cannot say where I will go, but PA seems to have little, can't even go to Victoria.
Sequim would be convenient, but I think I would be heading east to do my cruising and overnighting.
The other alternative is to buy a boat now for sale and already in Sequim right now. It has a slip, but is a gas with an outdrive. The boat I want to buy is diesel direct drive. The boat in Sequim is half the price and in good condition.
What I am asking is if anyone with some knowledge is in or around Sequim who can look at the 25' Skipjack, on Craigslist, and give me an opinion on its condition, etc?
Or, any suggestions? I will get a boat of some kind, and will be moving up in a month, getting settled, etc so no rush for a boat. The gas Skipjack would have the convenience of putting around nearby and immediately. The diesel would be more bucks, but further away from my home.
Thanks, Stuart

As you are finding, getting a boat and a slip in the PNW can be challenging. Did I purchase the exact boat I wanted, not really. But I really wanted to be at the marina it was located in and the slip came with the boat.

If you get the Sequim boat, you have something to go out in now and you have a slip in a difficult time as more are buying boats and looking for marinas. The advantage of Sequim is that you so close to the Gulf and San Juan Islands. The disadvantage is you have open water to deal with, not a big deal in summer but a bigger deal in the off season.

The boat looks in great condition for a 1979 but you can't really gauge much from a picture about engine condition.

Gas isn't the big deal it used to be but still has a bad reputation. But maintenance is significantly cheaper. Just go "boat" speed most of the time and save the fast stuff for quick jumps, taking advantage of a narrow window opportunity, etc. You boat speed will be around 6 -7 knots.

I am wondering if that motor was the original or a rebuild.

We are in John Wayne Marina. A few other frequent posters are, too.

From 100’, that Skipjack looks like it came out of the wrapper about 2 years ago. I noticed it long before it was on craigslist because of its exceptional appearance. I have not been aboard or even on its dock, nor do I know the owner or seller.

John Wayne Marina is a great jumping off point for the San Juan Islands. We previously had a 27’ pilothouse and boated out of the ramp at John Wayne Marina all year. You will be able to be in the strait an hour after leaving your house.

Send me your phone via PM if you think I can be of further assistance.

Hey Jeff,
Thanks for the reply! Upon further thought, I am strongly leaning toward getting a smaller boat and leaving it in Sequim, near where I will be living, 10 miles away. Instead of getting the direct drive, bigger, more expensive diesel and leaving it over an hour away. Crawl, walk, run. Get a feel for the area instead of long range boat plans and geography and traveling. Bottom line, stay local and small. Will PM you
Many thanks
Stuart

Harbormaster at JW will permit me to keep the 28' slip, and the boat appears to be a cream puff. Owner will permit you, Jeff, to take a look and he will start the engine, even offered to take you out! Just wanted to get an idea if someone could take a quick look, now seems the train has left the station with this being possibly my next boat, and keeping it in a nice marina nearby. Jeff, pls give me a call at your convenience. Much appreciation and input to all, Cheers, Stuart

Back
Top Bottom