Anybody able to identify this great looking boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capt. Rodbone

Vessel Name
SV Stella Polaris MV Sea Turtle
Vessel Make
1978 VanDine Gaff rigged schooner, 1978 Grand Banks Classic Trawler
The Mrs. and I are in Stuart Florida having a few repairs done. While dinging around the Port Salerno area just now we saw this good looking boat and circled by closer to take a look. It intrigues me. Has the lines of a much larger boat but isn’t. I’m very curious and want to look these up.

Attachments

• B169AE92-CB25-424A-B501-178BD7CC6E61.jpg
    B169AE92-CB25-424A-B501-178BD7CC6E61.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 134
Cape Dory?

I second the vote for a Wilbur 34. Built in Maine, a long-time builder with a great reputation.

Might be a pretty rare sight in Florida, but a fair number of them plying New England waters.

Definitely not a Cape Dory. I might say an Ellis, except for the absence of a quarter window on the cabin just behind the windshield. Anyway, she's a looker, all right.

Here's a Wilbur 34 from Yachtworld. I was not familiar with them but that's a fine looking boat!!

Attachments

• Wilbur34.jpg
    Wilbur34.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 73
Resembles Hopcar`s Ellis 28, before the hurricane.

Resembles Hopcar`s Ellis 28, before the hurricane.

Good eye! I think it is a Wilbur as well. Wilbur is located less than a mile from Ellis and Hinckley. A lot of pretty boats come from that area.

Good eye! I think it is a Wilbur as well. Wilbur is located less than a mile from Ellis and Hinckley. A lot of pretty boats come from that area.
Yep. I've heard of them, but not sure I've seen one in the flesh. Great boat, I'm sure.

Attachments

• Splendid -1.jpeg
    Splendid -1.jpeg
    29.9 KB · Views: 446
  • Splendid-2.jpeg
    Splendid-2.jpeg
    29.4 KB · Views: 443
  • Splendid-3.jpeg
    Splendid-3.jpeg
    24.3 KB · Views: 443
  • Splendid.jpeg
    Splendid.jpeg
    30.3 KB · Views: 444
Very similar but smaller

Yours is truly gorgeous. I am going to research this a bit further. I knew when I posted it the lack of anything around the boat to give it a size perspective, and maybe even the angle of the photo makes it appear larger than it is. Part of the beauty of the boat is it having larger boat looks but in a scaled down fashion. my wife and I are having fun differing on what the size may actually be. I say a 34 is possible as she echoes “no way “in my ear. She does agree that may be 28 feet but thinks 25. I say 25 is preposterously small so I will keep you folks informed on this enjoyable banter. Another dinghy ride today on a beautiful morning is in store. And I’m going to go back and snap a few more photos. It is behind a residence so maybe I will get lucky and someone will see me admiring the boat today and come out although that didn’t happen yesterday. I’m not familiar with the Willard, but spent some time in southwest harbor Maine this summer, and got introduced to Ellis boats for the first time and they are quite the boat as someone has pointed out here. Not only saw their facility, but probably 6 to 8 of them and marinas are more than close proximity.

Has lines like a Duffy too. There are tons of boats with that particular style where I boat. I'm pretty sure most, if not all, are custom built Maine boats. They have very handsome lines and a robust build. It's basically one common style of a down east lobster boat with a fly bridge added.

It's like a slightly updated Orca from Jaws.

Last edited:
And while we are having fun….. another one

A few days ago we were in Indiantown marina on the St. Lucie river. May be the most expensive boatyard I’ve ever walked, and a neat marina as well. They have a huge section which appears to be where boats sadly go to die, but I am assured by the staff that everyone of them are current on their monthly rent, and if not, they eventually meet the torch or chainsaw. ?
There are literally acres of storage, and if you are having the yard to do work, or or one of the mini and welcomed DIY folks, the boat gets moved to an almost equally expensive work part of the facility. Numerous campers and RV’s with tags from all over thr country, parked under live oak trees, where people literally live and work on their boats. They even have a quite large shower facility. My wonderful wife didn’t even get perturbed when I told her if anything ever happens to her I’m moving there immediately. There’s an Ace Hardware, Tractor Supply, NAPA Auto parts and a Burger King nearby. I could be an absolute happy camper. I guess literally and figuratively. ! I also don’t believe I’ve ever seen such a large conglomeration of Amazon prime and other shipped boxes. They all go to a central location in a covered area, and I guess everyone strolls there each day to see if their package has arrived for the current project.
Anyway, I saw numerous boats there I loved, but here is one I wanted to post and see if anyone knows what it could be as well.

Anyway, after going on here about that unique and wonderful spot, below is the boat I’m wondering about.

Attachments

• 89984840-4494-48C6-9F26-58805A912A2C.jpg
    89984840-4494-48C6-9F26-58805A912A2C.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 47
Wilbur, maybe 34 is a good guess. it’s not much smaller than that. Here is my holby pilot. Down east style, 24.5 feet

Attachments

• 4CB0A71A-0C01-489D-BD0F-16D7A1023622.jpg
    4CB0A71A-0C01-489D-BD0F-16D7A1023622.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Anyway, after going on here about that unique and wonderful spot, below is the boat I’m wondering about.

That is a Lord Nelson Victory Tug. Very cool boats! We recently had four of them owned by members in our Port Townsend Yacht Club.

The Victory Tug is a very cool boat, we were dealers for them. A downeast style hull under the waterline. Very unique and nicely built. I stop and stare every time one goes by...

Wilbur 34. Great quality Downeast boat. I own a Jarvis Newman 36.

And a Lord Nelson Victory Tug. Cool boat but really only set up gif a couple.

The Victory Tug is a very cool boat, we were dealers for them. A downeast style hull under the waterline. Very unique and nicely built. I stop and stare every time one goes by...
Were they built in Asia?

SWHarbor Boats

Indeed, looks like a Wilbur. SW Harbor, ME builders Wilbur and Ellis collaborated on some downeast lobsterboat pleasure boat designs. As an owner of an Ellis 36, I cannot say enough about the build quality, beauty and performance stability. Perfect boats for a cruising couple. A range of 34-36 feet is ideal, smaller gets a little too tight for extended coastal cruising

Indeed, looks like a Wilbur. SW Harbor, ME builders Wilbur and Ellis collaborated on some downeast lobsterboat pleasure boat designs. As an owner of an Ellis 36, I cannot say enough about the build quality, beauty and performance stability. Perfect boats for a cruising couple. A range of 34-36 feet is ideal, smaller gets a little too tight for extended coastal cruising

Agree, I had an Ellis 28. Great weekender but the longest we stayed on it was a week. If you ever get your Ellis down to Miami I’d love to see it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom