Any trashy Trawlers out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
... I'm actually looking for pics from owners who have a 'work in progress' boat. ...

Every boat is a 'work in progress', it's just the amount of work and the amount of progress. Usually the relationship is inversely proportional.

When buying a fixer upper you need to know your abilities. For instance, I know some wood ship wrights and what I have learned from them is that I don’t have the patience to rehab or maintain a wood boat. I also know it’s foolish to buy a fixer upper and pay for outside services, much cheaper to buy a boat ready to go.

I know I can do glass work and that I can do roll and tip painting so a cosmetically ugly hull is fine for me. Systems, electrical, plumbing are all easy for me. So a boat that has all the options is cheap. Meaning it’s easy and cheaper for me to diagnose system failure than to install new systems. Interior work is another easy job for me so repairing damaged floors, cabinets, windows and ports is easy.

I have never seen a boat priced cheap enough to buy with damaged engines. I’m sure there is a deal some where but generally what I see is a
$75,000 job and the boat is reduced $50,000. When it comes to engines there should be no guessing.

I learned the hard way, never buy an old boat unless you know how you will remove the engines and fuel tanks. Maybe you won’t need to, maybe you will need to.

Float - Baby!

There's trashy trawler... one, four or even many more at way too many marinas.

So - you need to know what age, size and model/design boat you seek.

As well as what equipment you want the boat to have.

Then you need to figure exactly what the top dollar is you can afford to spend.

After that you need to put on your "Horse Trader" cap and go dicker!

Some owners just wanting to have their boat disappear and/or marina owners that already forclosed on boats can be dickered down really low cost if a handful of crisp Benjamins are laid on the table!!

Cash is KING for purchasing trashy anything - Boats Included...

Happy "Trashy Trawler" Daze! - Art :speed boat:

We were looking for something solid and seaworthy, but were happy to put work into an older boat in order to get into one affordably.

We found a converted former commercial fishing boat that was solid but not fancy...a level of finish I call "workboat nice." VERY seaworthy.

She needed moderately extensive rewiring, a radio, new bilge pumps, antennas, replumbing for dockside pumpout, etc. Her old Lehman diesel had high hours and weeped a bit, but ran like a watch. She's most definitely a work in progress, but was able to be enjoyed immediately and continues to delight us. If we had waited for our "perfect boat" we would still be walking the docks and dreaming. Instead we enjoy her as she is, working on her frequently, and have taken some wonderful trips. We got into her for less than half the price of our new Subaru!
49972447302_fa00841950_h.jpg

28393815147_c07cb74c81_h.jpg

I did exactly what you are talking about. We looked high and low for the right boat. While I had a budget of up to 50-60K I did not want to spend that. I have usually purchased race cars, boats, tractors, or equipment broken or in need of repair to keep costs low and had lots of success. Not 100% success mind you...lol. A couple of times things did not work out in my favor. I wanted to try the same approach to a Trawler. With a larger boat there is much more risk involved unless you get the boat nearly free. Even then your spent cash and time that rapidly accumulates can come crashing down if some expensive fatal flaw is later found in something like the engines, fuel tanks, or major hull issues. You also have to do just about everything yourself. So figure time as well.

We finally selected the externally ugliest boat with the best mechanicals and decent interior and hull we could find and bargain for. It had rain leaks, it needs paint, it needs exterior bright work done, it needed an AC unit, it needed an updated fridge, it needed cushions and it needed many minor repairs. Heck it needed a properly functioning bilge pump/pumps.

But it had an overhauled Perkins 6-354.4 (complete with injector pump, new coolers etc), overhauled transmission, new driveshaft/prop, new aluminum fuel tanks all with about 20-30 hours on it. It also had decent interior and interior wood. All teak decks removed, great Dickson Stern thruster and several other additions.

We are down to the exterior painting with some minor fiberglass repair, changing front portlight windows, and redoing the cap rails and other teak wood work. Also we will redo the headliner. Quite a bit of labor left, but the risk is low and if done as a DIY cost is low as well.

After that it will be my own additions such as a fabricated rear canopy with integral dingy hoist and radar/anchor light tower, updated autopilot and some nice interior lighting.

I consider this type of thing very enjoyable. If I can save a buck here and there as well as make it my own thats just a bonus.

Anyways...I don't have pictures but I have made a few short videos of some progress. And various projects like the AC unit replacement and fridge install and a few other items. I do consider my little boat to fit the trashy trawler category :D. Its not big, its not fancy, but she floats and moves under her own power:thumb:

https://youtu.be/evqstSy5ZJ4

https://youtu.be/zj3WDRPRgOs

https://youtu.be/s1EdSOrN2mc

https://youtu.be/VttzI6UosnI

https://youtu.be/pT8CzV7wQaQ

https://youtu.be/gfj0UQAIacQ

The question is what is "fixed up".

Many TT have teak overlay on plywood decks.When the ply gets wet the decks become soft.

One fix is to strip the teak overlay, the GRP on the deck and remove all the soggy plywood , then restore the deck.

Takes big bucks and skill and time.

Also fixed up is to remove everything on the deck teak, and hardware , grind the deck covering GRP and simply glass over the deck , glue on or paint on no skid ,reinstall deck fittings and use the boat.

Both are large jobs but #1requires far more cash and way higher skills.

For every task there are multiple methods of fixing up, contemplate them all before a purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:
Floater.......if you cant afford a decent boat, also means you cant afford to refit a crappy old one.

Lordy,lordy,lordy.(yep,I'm from the south)
We've had this same conversation, but,not exactly the same,on TF,Grand Banks. All the nay-sayers "don't get a wooden boat "Danger Will Robinson!!!!!
I call BS. As I said on the GB forum.....I'll bet you dollars to donuts that 90% of those that say that have never owned a woodie. And,almost all the folks that say "run Forrest, run" have only heard,or seen,other people, who have heard from other people, that knows someone that may have watched Gilligan's Island,ect,ect. You get the point.
Steel hulls,aluminum hulls....all subject to electrolysis.
Fiberglass hulls blister,AND,if the stringers are encapsulated (Fiberglass over wood) you may wind up with a hollow piece of nothing,holding up(or not)your motors.
Wooden boats are subject to either rotting, or getting water soaked.
All these different types of boats have their own troubles. Some are easily fixed.....some are not.
Choose a boat that matches YOUR skill set,not some Armchair Admirals,who pretty mych don't like any boat if it's not their boats Mfg.
For me....give me an old woodie with good bones. It may ,and probably will have,cracked ribs,soft spots,bad wood on the superstructure....ect. Nothing a person with a basic knowledge of woodworking tools,and willing to study up on basic boat repair, can't fix.
Fiberglass is a different story. Not as easy to hide a patch,put on gelcoat,get Fiberglass out of your skin,ect.
Metal hull repair is harder,unless you,or a friend, can weld.
My point? Choose wisely. Know your limits. What do YOU feel is going to be the easiest for you to comprehend. Not the nay-sayers on the forum.
Great question for a thread by the way.
Oh,and my answer?
I got a 42FT Grand Banks that was hit by a tornado. Stbd side bulwarks and lots of handrail and caprail damage. Also,no rubrail on stbd side.
10 days,4-5 biscuit and gravy breakfasts, and less than $400 later.....she's getting back to her "former"former glory.
Just my 2cents

Lordy,lordy,lordy.(yep,I'm from the south)
We've had this same conversation, but,not exactly the same,on TF,Grand Banks. All the nay-sayers "don't get a wooden boat "Danger Will Robinson!!!!!
I call BS. As I said on the GB forum.....I'll bet you dollars to donuts that 90% of those that say that have never owned a woodie. And,almost all the folks that say "run Forrest, run" have only heard,or seen,other people, who have heard from other people, that knows someone that may have watched Gilligan's Island,ect,ect. You get the point.
Steel hulls,aluminum hulls....all subject to electrolysis.
Fiberglass hulls blister,AND,if the stringers are encapsulated (Fiberglass over wood) you may wind up with a hollow piece of nothing,holding up(or not)your motors.
Wooden boats are subject to either rotting, or getting water soaked.
All these different types of boats have their own troubles. Some are easily fixed.....some are not.
Choose a boat that matches YOUR skill set,not some Armchair Admirals,who pretty mych don't like any boat if it's not their boats Mfg.
For me....give me an old woodie with good bones. It may ,and probably will have,cracked ribs,soft spots,bad wood on the superstructure....ect. Nothing a person with a basic knowledge of woodworking tools,and willing to study up on basic boat repair, can't fix.
Fiberglass is a different story. Not as easy to hide a patch,put on gelcoat,get Fiberglass out of your skin,ect.
Metal hull repair is harder,unless you,or a friend, can weld.
My point? Choose wisely. Know your limits. What do YOU feel is going to be the easiest for you to comprehend. Not the nay-sayers on the forum.
Great question for a thread by the way.
Oh,and my answer?
I got a 42FT Grand Banks that was hit by a tornado. Stbd side bulwarks and lots of handrail and caprail damage. Also,no rubrail on stbd side.
10 days,4-5 biscuit and gravy breakfasts, and less than $400 later.....she's getting back to her "former"former glory.
Just my 2cents

Wooden hulls, it depends....

On what, where, when and how to a high degree

Without specifics, I would be hard pressed to give advice on this topic...and thats not at all related to when people start bringing in modern composite wood hulls.

There are a number of youTube posters who are documenting their remodels. Always very slow, ALWAYS expensive. Many abandon the project before completion, at least one fellow has resorted to "Go Fund Me" (grudgingly).

Please proceed with utmost caution.

pete

Barking Sands

I give you and wife kudos for huge amount of efforts applied to improve your boat! I briefed [move quickly through] all your videos.

Although our well cared for 1977 Tollycraft was close to perf condition [perf that is for a then 31 yr. old boat] when we got her in 2008... nearing 13 years of fun n' play as well as general aging re hours of use have taken their toll on her. Be it that she's 100 miles from where we live... when we get time to be there for days in a row the fun n' play option nearly always wins over doing any work on her. She's in fresh water and docked under covered dock. Those two features sure help to well preserve her integrity. Our honest expense on our Tolly for general maintenance has averaged less than $500 per year [that includes extremely occasional costs from marina mechanical professionals].

We hope to find the time and easily available $$$ to soon put her on the hard. I plan to bring one of my masonry construction crew with Linda and me to do our Tolly "up round"! A lot of timing on this endeavor is dependent to severe Covid-19 infections in CA. Linda and I are 71 and 68 respectively... one thing we do NOT want to do is to get infected. We've stayed well masked out of house for several months and go out seldom. Currently there is a virtual shut down in our geographic area. Last eve we drove through a couple of towns and were super sad to see the vast amount of vacant storefronts with some 60 to 70 percent of parking spaces also vacant. Decades old businesses are gone/closed/kaput.

So... back to happy thoughts on boat stuff!

Full bottom job | new through hulls | new cutlass bearings | rudders removed and their through hull items perfected | props tuned | rolling scaffold for full hull wax/buff job | full superstructure wax/buff | well as other exterior improvements.

While doing that I plan to put totally new exhaust manifolds onto both engines as well as new heat transfers and other new cooling system items on each. Will also replace a couple of gauges on the two dashes. Also have plans floating around in my head to rearrange seating on flybridge. That could/may be accomplished once she's back in the water.

Gotta Luv Boats! Stay safe and healthy!!

Last edited:
I have always been in love with the old commuter style boats .

Perhaps if someone found a oldie with a fantastic interior and OK engines , just a rotten wood hull it could be brought back to life..

Not fixing the wooden hull, a new garboard or stem might take a starting woodworker 10 or 15 attempts.

My concept is to remove the decades of paint and then remove a single plank,

OK if a somewhat destructive method to remove nails or screws is used as the plank would be used as a guide traced onto good foam Airex if one could afford it .

The plank would be wrapped with GRP tape , heavy mat or woven roving would be fine . The work would have to be quick if polly resin is used (sets fast) , slow is fine for epoxy, as the plank would be put back in place of the removed wood plank and held in place with skewers of some sort .

Even a chopper gun would work
As all the wood hull is replaced with GRP covered foam "planks" the hull structure would be stable..This would keep the shape of the boat
Enough GRP could then be laid up on each side as of it was a solid glass hull.

Dreamed of it but never tried it ,Would be a quick and dirty way to save a great boat.

The bad news is lots of UGH work fairing would be required.

AS I get older and lazy ,its still a concept but now I'm just looking for a Midnight Lace Rum Runner , 44ft but just right for 2.

Last edited:
Barking Sands

I give you and wife kudos for huge amount of efforts applied to improve your boat! I briefed [move quickly through] all your videos.

Although our well cared for 1977 Tollycraft was close to perf condition [perf that is for a then 31 yr. old boat] when we got her in 2008... nearing 13 years of fun n' play as well as general aging re hours of use have taken their toll on her. Be it that she's 100 miles from where we live... when we get time to be there for days in a row the fun n' play option nearly always wins over doing any work on her. She's in fresh water and docked under covered dock. Those two features sure help to well preserve her integrity. Our honest expense on our Tolly for general maintenance has averaged less than $500 per year [that includes extremely occasional costs from marina mechanical professionals
Thanks Art. I enjoy doing repairs to just about anything mechanical. Its half the fun. But I do want to get to the other half too ?

I have always loved the Tollycrafts. We looked high and low for one. Unfortunately not many in Florida. Good luck on you projects sir.

I'm doing basically what you describe. There are a number of major refit threads here that can show you what refitting/rebuilding a large boat is like, also many on youtube.

If I had to compare it, I'd say it's about like buying a fixer upper house and fully remodeling it, albeit with different complications.

So far on mine, I've rebuilt one engine, overhauled the steering system, repainted the hull and cabin, repaired gel coat blisters, rebuilt most of the windows, and much more.

By the time I launch, I'll have a boat with solid mechanical systems (that I know every inch of intimately) and a pretty good cosmetic appearance. As for cost, I could have purchased a boat of similar age in operating condition for the same that I've spent on it, although a completed boat for that price would probably still need a lot of work.

Here are my threads:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s25/uniflite-42-double-cabin-refit-49395.html

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s6/overhauling-j-t-detroit-671n-44309.html

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums...apilano-250v-helm-steering-station-44475.html

There are a number of youTube posters who are documenting their remodels. Always very slow, ALWAYS expensive. Many abandon the project before completion, at least one fellow has resorted to "Go Fund Me" (grudgingly).

Please proceed with utmost caution.

pete

Maybe if they spent more time getting actual skills instead of playing with youtube and begging for coin on the interwebs

That Cathlamet Sternwheeler could be a great $ 5,000.00 boat if someone put a half a million in it!

I've got a trashy boat compared to most of the TF members.

It's now reliable (after replacing engine, gearbox, fuel tanks, waste tank, electronics, wiring, batteries, windlass, prop, rigging, etc etc. I've done all work myself other than than upgrading the standing rigging. I love doing work on the boat 99% of the time.

But it's still trashy. I wash it about twice a year (whether it needs it or not) and I've never waxed it it the 7 years I've owned it. I didn't buy it to make money or to impress anyone; Just to enjoy spending time on the water. It certainly does that for me.

Youre discounting your time and labor, many wouldnt do that. There is also the 'opportunity cost' for many people. With that same time and labor they might easily have earned way more than the money you figure you saved.

No doubt there are better ways to make money. I don't do the work on my boat to save money. I actually enjoy it. The engine dealer offered to replace my damper plate under warranty. I declined the offer for labor and installed it myself.

Doing my own repairs and upgrades allows me to know the boat intimately. If there are any problems at sea, troubleshooting is much easier when you've crawled over and under every inch of the boat.

No doubt there are better ways to make money. I don't do the work on my boat to save money. I actually enjoy it. The engine dealer offered to replace my damper plate under warranty. I declined the offer for labor and installed it myself.

Doing my own repairs and upgrades allows me to know the boat intimately. If there are any problems at sea, troubleshooting is much easier when you've crawled over and under every inch of the boat.

Fair enough...yes.

Plus many other reasons.

I'm doing basically what you describe. There are a number of major refit threads here that can show you what refitting/rebuilding a large boat is like, also many on youtube.

If I had to compare it, I'd say it's about like buying a fixer upper house and fully remodeling it, albeit with different complications.

So far on mine, I've rebuilt one engine, overhauled the steering system, repainted the hull and cabin, repaired gel coat blisters, rebuilt most of the windows, and much more.

By the time I launch, I'll have a boat with solid mechanical systems (that I know every inch of intimately) and a pretty good cosmetic appearance. As for cost, I could have purchased a boat of similar age in operating condition for the same that I've spent on it, although a completed boat for that price would probably still need a lot of work.

Here are my threads:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s25/uniflite-42-double-cabin-refit-49395.html

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s6/overhauling-j-t-detroit-671n-44309.html

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums...apilano-250v-helm-steering-station-44475.html

If you have skills similar to sbman then I am all for picking up a trashy trawler and making her a labor of love. In the end sbman will have a like new boat for half the cost of new. He will have spent more than if he picked up a nice newer boat but even a nice newer boat will need maintenance. Were sbman will excell is in knowing his boat. He will always know exactly what it takes do deal with any issues. The only real risk I see for sbman is the risk of losing his health before he gets a chance to use his boat. This is the problem in life. There is no one answer that fits all.

Back
Top Bottom