Any tips for a first time seller?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have delivered boats for buyers wo have bought over the internet and have never seen the boat...they do exist and are legit...so don't rule out the possibility if you can stand jumping the doubt hoops.

Why is Paypal a joke?

It is basically a 3rd party money handler...good enough that major retail chains are accepting the concept.

Why is Paypal a joke?

It is basically a 3rd party money handler...good enough that major retail chains are accepting the concept.

Paypal isn't a joke, but the possibility of getting a transaction reversed is too great for me to take a chance on using them for a major transaction.

I find Ebay and Paypal have fairly good buyer's protection programs. However, the seller's protection isn't there at the same level.

Often times, the scammer is not going for the big kill nor are they really interested in actually taking delivery of what it is that you are selling. They will send a fraudulent check for more than what you are asking (either the total price or a deposit) with some reason as to why they are sending too much. The reason can either be to cover cost of shipping, pay their broker's commission or something other. The scammer then will request you immediately send off the excess to a third party (his broker, shipping company or whatever). This, before the scammer's check is found to be fraudulent. The scammer is actually the third party.

I have seen this attempted with boats and aircraft.

Often times, the scammer is not going for the big kill nor are they really interested in actually taking delivery of what it is that you are selling. They will send a fraudulent check for more than what you are asking (either the total price or a deposit) with some reason as to why they are sending too much. The reason can either be to cover cost of shipping, pay their broker's commission or something other. The scammer then will request you immediately send off the excess to a third party (his broker, shipping company or whatever). This, before the scammer's check is found to be fraudulent. The scammer is actually the third party.

I have seen this attempted with boats and aircraft.

That is a very common one. They do that on apartments and home rentals as well. They're so nice, willing to pay the entire year up front. So it's $12k and they send a payment of $13k. Just send us $1k back.

Keep your scam alarm on at all times. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. If it seems not to make sense, it doesn't. If your instinct tells you not to trust it, don't.

I thought it was a given that the contact was a scam so didn't address that.

How do they sleep at night? Who knows how some human minds work.

Ask Bernie Madoff! Bet cha he slept real well all the decades he ripped of over a thousand people of billions of dollars in his "false-stock" Ponzi Scheme. I'll even bet he sleeps OK in prison... pissed off... but well slept!

Nigerian Prince responded, and urged me to sign up for paypal. He's hoping I will be reasonable and work with him. He says he's in Austin, TX, and is 'out of reach.' He says he can't access his bank account online, only paypal.

Seriously, dude? Austin is 'out of reach?' How are you emailing me?? How is it even conceivable that you would have access to email and paypal, but not your bank?? What is this, 1990? Is your sister on the phone, so you can't use dialup? Gimme a break.

Nigerian Prince responded, and urged me to sign up for paypal. He's hoping I will be reasonable and work with him. He says he's in Austin, TX, and is 'out of reach.' He says he can't access his bank account online, only paypal.

Seriously, dude? Austin is 'out of reach?' How are you emailing me?? How is it even conceivable that you would have access to email and paypal, but not your bank?? What is this, 1990? Is your sister on the phone, so you can't use dialup? Gimme a break.

Ok, why did you communicate further with him. You should have sent him to spam. Every second you spend playing with this guy puts you at risk. If he'll try to scam you, do you think it's beyond him to hack into your email or to use any glimpse of information you give him in some way. He may be selling your boat next week, even without owning it.

Do not communicate further with scammers. It's like telemarketers, every minute you talk you increase the risk of being taken advantage of. What you consider the least piece of information, professional scammers can take advantage of you.

Next email he sends you an attachment. You open it. You just gave him access to every contact in your email.

I'm being very serious in warning you or others. You may think you're giving them no information but you're an amateur in their game and they are pros.

Block them. Cut off all communication. Run, don't walk.

Already done. I responded to his last email saying I didn't want to do paypal, and that'll be the last time he hears from me.

Attachments

• SJB.jpg
    SJB.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 80

Ask him to mail you two $100 American bills. Tell him that will be considered a deductible down payment and that his cash deposit will give you assurance he is genuine. Tell him that thereafter you guys can do business. Tell him not until you receive the $200 down payment is there any need to further discuss. If he's a stupid scammer... maybe you will get lucky and be paid $200 for your efforts he kept using the time of. Chances are he will stop contact once you require $200 dp.

LOL...Hysterical..

I`m with B & B on this one, delete the first email, no answering,no playing with them, delete and ignore.
Must go, Microsoft on the phone,they detected a fault with my computer, just need full access to fix the problem.....

Go to your bank, they can handle the transaction for you whether it is in cash, check, money order, etc. they can notorize the sale too.

Back
Top Bottom