Any recommendations on supplies for a cold voyage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd also recommend a trip to a ski store or place like Academy Sports. We purchased some jackets made for skiing, not Columbia but another brand, some full head and face toboggans, things designed for very cold conditions but also designed not to be bulky. We ran into some 30 degree temperatures between Chicago and TN and they sure were nice to have. Best jackets or coats I've ever owned.

It starts to warm up by Sunday, why not delay your trip a day? What kind of heat is on the boat now? Why anchor, just go to Anacortes and tie up at the Cap Sante dock. Easy trip on your boat

I think the boat has only a reverse cycle air conditioner for heat, either 32,000 or 40,000 BTU.

Beneteau does offer a Diesel heater "air pulse" option. But I don't think this boat has it.

Didn't really put a whole lot of thought into this aspect of the boat prior to purchasing as I don't expect to be using it in 30 degree weather very often! As in, maybe once. :)

As for Anacortes, I'll run it by my broker as he is the one helping me bring it down to Seattle and he's planning the trip.

Thanks,
Mike

Not knowing what boat prep has been done - may I suggest fresh fuel filters both primary and on engine for mains and genset. Also clean out sea strainers. How long has the boat been sitting? if over a year since last change out, water pump impellers too.

Boat just had a complete mechanical survey. Has only 168 hours. Engines were serviced fairly recently, so should be good to go I think. Boat was used about 100 hours this season.

Thanks for the great tips and advice everyone! I really appreciate it! Looks like I have some shopping to do...

I'll be sure to post some photos! :Thanx:

Mike

Since your new boat is not equipped to heat itself for a cold weather voyage, have your broker go to the store and buy a couple of 110 volt heaters that can be plugged in and turned on while at the dock. Get them turned on ASAP so that when you arrive there is some warmth inside the boat. You will need it, as otherwise your body heat will be the best source for the interior of the boat until the outside weather moderates.

Also, to keep from losing that body heat, get yourself a Mustang Cruiser suit, and wear a full onesey longjohn under it. Same for your son, or he will always recall this trip as the coldest he has ever been.

Michael

Friday and Saturday's weather is cold, really cold. Ice on decks, outside faucets freezing and the possibility of heat pumps not working due to cold water. Defrosting windows in a summer only boat is a big deal. If this vessel has water fixtures on fly bridge, foredeck or cockpit they will pop.

Current forecasts 10 to 20 knots from SE and temperatures in low 20s. Big warmup on Sunday.

In cold weather we much prefer an electric blanket vs turning the heat up.
Modest power use vs heating the whole space and better sleeping.
Re clothing just avoid cotton....as in jeans...poly...nylon over long johns much better. If cotton gets wet its a real heat zapper.

The coldest winter I've ever experienced is the summer I spent in San Francisco.

Don't leave the domestic water pump on when not needed.

For those temperatures you better buy full gumby survival suits to wear 24/7. Don't forget your electric socks.

Where exactly do you plan to anchor out? A marina will be worth the $40 and no worries about dragging in the middle of the night.

HeatMate - Good heater/cooker unit. In NY, used one for years during late 1960's... have one today, purchased in 2008. Exact same unit design/build after those four/five decades. Simple to use, efficient, clean burning (however, at least some clean air ventilation always recommended). Does more than heating too... like boiling water or even cooking/warming food if desired. Easy to locate and purchase off the net. Denatured Alcohol is the fuel. It's "Fuel Sponge" storage container is spill proof, easy to load and lasts for many hours. Temperature produced is adjustable via control knob on side. :thumb:

I think we might be going a bit overboard here (pun intended). He's moving a boat, not going to the moon. The boat has reverse cycle heat that will probably heat the boat just fine, or worst case bring it up to a survivable temp.

Where are you heading in Seattle? I'll be moving my boat from Delta Marine in So Seattle back up to the Salmon Bay on the ship canal on Friday afternoon, so maybe we will cross paths.

I think we might be going a bit overboard here (pun intended). He's moving a boat, not going to the moon. The boat has reverse cycle heat that will probably heat the boat just fine, or worst case bring it up to a survivable temp.

Where are you heading in Seattle? I'll be moving my boat from Delta Marine in So Seattle back up to the Salmon Bay on the ship canal on Friday afternoon, so maybe we will cross paths.

Heading to CSR Marine in Seattle. They are making a few repairs, the most significant one being a leaky port rudder gland. I'll keep an eye out!

I agree. Use the reverse cycle heat. Supplement with small electric heaters if you feel they are needed, dress warm, and take extra care and caution based on the conditions. Don't take any unnecessary risks. We've used reverse cycle heat in similar temperatures and had no problems with it. Just make sure all is working well before departure. Traveling in these temperatures isn't that bad. The difficulty is things like handling lines, anchoring, cleaning windshields. Patience is your friend in all outside type work and avoiding risk.

A portable gas heater like this Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Propane Heater — 9000 BTU, Model# MH9BX | Propane Portable Heaters| Northern Tool + Equipment
can come in handy for warming up a cabin or other area. I only use it while I am around and awake and never in any sort of high seas. bring along a few spare gas canisters. It sounds like a great trip, enjoy it!

Keep in mind that he is only going to be spending a couple days up in the northwest before heading back to SoCal. It won't be all that cold so nothing a bit of warm clothing and hit food can't take care of.

Those are lake conditions. Very lucky for him.

Puget Sound is not where my weather concerns would be. I would be more watchful for the forecast for the Southern end of Georgia Strait. Right now it is forecast a 10-20 kts SE wind. This could either be lovely weather, or if it gets up the upper range of that forecast against a flood tide, it could be unpleasant.

Once he gets further South, it shouldn't be bad.

Puget Sound is not where my weather concerns would be. I would be more watchful for the forecast for the Southern end of Georgia Strait. Right now it is forecast a 10-20 kts SE wind. This could either be lovely weather, or if it gets up the upper range of that forecast against a flood tide, it could be unpleasant.

True. I haven't looked at those conditions. And, of course, the weather is always subject to change. The crossing we made today would have been 6-8' seas earlier this week and was 1-2' and then 2-3' for the Gulf Stream, which in and of itself is a unique East Coast phenomena.

For some reason I was thinking he was coming down from Bellingham. Dhays is correct about the northern waters being riskier. But even that forecast isn't bad, especially if he times the wind and tide together.

Heading to CSR Marine in Seattle. They are making a few repairs, the most significant one being a leaky port rudder gland. I'll keep an eye out!

We are right across the canal from there. But I head home on Sunday so I think will miss you. Been hauled out for two weeks and looking forward to getting home.

I would reserve a spot in LaConner,,, That way you have shorepower, a dock and restaurants... Save anchoring out until you get the boat sorted out...

Hug the coast past Blaine and Sandy Point, south through Hale Passage and stay to the East of Cypress Island and you will be fairly protected. It's not the Arctic, take a Little Buddy heater and warm clothes. A survival suit and snowmobile clothes are ridiculous overkill. La Connor is less than half way so perhaps Everett is a better choice. Great restaurant right at the guest dock and the run in is along the Navy Pier, usually some big ships to eyeball.

Have fun,
Bob

Hug the coast past Blaine and Sandy Point, south through Hale Passage and stay to the East of Cypress Island and you will be fairly protected. It's not the Arctic, take a Little Buddy heater and warm clothes. A survival suit and snowmobile clothes are ridiculous overkill. La Connor is less than half way so perhaps Everett is a better choice. Great restaurant right at the guest dock and the run in is along the Navy Pier, usually some big ships to eyeball.

Have fun,
Bob

This sounds right. Thanks.

With 2 diesels working in the basement, you won't freeze while you are moving. Lots of glass on the Swift, and the sun is supposed to be out, so it might be fairly cozy. It is when it gets quiet, that the chill will set in. Good luck!

After a daylight run, open up an interior hatch over the engine room to bring in a long-lasting wave of warmth. Use a portable gas heater to warm up the mornings.

Hi everyone, quick update. We ended up postponing due to the fact that we weren't able to get the customs documentation handled in time. Apparently U.S. Customs is pretty backed up at Point Roberts. Bummer as I was eager to go!

At this point, everything is looking good, so planning to head up on New Year's weekend to bring it down.

On a positive note, my Son got the flu and wasn't going to be able to go this past weekend...and now he is better and will be joining.

Best,
Mike

At a minimum at least a gallon of bottled water per person per day. Then add 25%.
To quote my Senior Drill sergeant " drink water till you pee clear"

Hi everyone, quick update. We ended up postponing due to the fact that we weren't able to get the customs documentation handled in time. Apparently U.S. Customs is pretty backed up at Point Roberts. Bummer as I was eager to go!

At this point, everything is looking good, so planning to head up on New Year's weekend to bring it down.

On a positive note, my Son got the flu and wasn't going to be able to go this past weekend...and now he is better and will be joining.

Best,
Mike

It was a pretty cold weekend by local standards, so not a bad thing to postpone.

BTW, is the reverse cycle heat running on the boat while it's at dock currently? If someone could run it for a day or two at the dock you would get a good sense of how well it keeps up with heating the boat. My guess is that it will be nice and toasty, and all this worrying will have been over nothing.

And if the heat isn't running, then what about the water system on the boat? Is it protected from freezing?

Back
Top Bottom