Any recommendations for rain gear in pacific north west?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agree NS. This is a general tread. Be it a dedicated rock/ice climbing supplier, offshore sailing, fishing or motor biking. Harley Davison lead the pack in my view with more stuff (clothes and do dads) sold to folks who never swung a leg over a bike. Then A&F, Chouinard, H-H -the list goes on. Went into my local mom and pop fly fishing store. Hadn’t been for awhile as get my stuff from the internet. Wanted some 4X in a spool to make up leaders. Two ladies in there buying very expensive Simms bags because they looked cool. No spools. Just made up leaders sold 3 in a package at huge cost compared to making up your own. And even WM is starting to look like a clothing store with the marine stuff in the back.

Last edited:
I've also found Gortex is ok for some light rain or spray but is not serious rain gear if that's what you need. We don't need to be out in serious weather like we used to when sailing, the helm of our boat now is pretty weather proof. We now just carry some light Gortex jackets (windbreakers) with hoods. I have found that 303 fabric protector that I use on my canvas, works well on Gortex so I generally give our jackets a spray once a season. Makes water really bead up and roll off.

Helly Hanson Gale Rainwear. This isn’t the normal HH line, it’s their workwear line. Jacket and bibs.

Now, I love me some Goretex wear for hiking and the like, due to the breathability, but when out in the rain long enough, you’re going to get wet eventually wearing it.

The Gale stuff actually keeps water out, sacrificing some breathability but when boating, who cares? It keeps you dry. And it is stretchable (!) and relatively light which is what I really like about it. The outside feels soft and rubbery, the inside is polyester. I have a set of heavy fishing-style work-quality rain gear that I never wear anymore, I wear these instead. Out fishing in the rain all day, nice and dry the whole time and I don’t feel like I’ve been wearing plate armor like with my older fishing gear.

As for footwear, after trying all the other brands I’m back to simple XtraTuffs. Yes, they aren’t as good as they used to be. Just replace them more often. If your feet get cold they do make a lightly insulated version which looks exactly the same from the outside.

Last edited:
The official footwear of Alaska and the PNW. I resisted too, until I got my first pair. The Admiral wore them when she worked at a summer salmon cannery during college years. We remove them prior to entering the cabin; we do that with all foot ware.

https://www.xtratuf.com/products/mens-12-in-legacy-boot-copper-tan

Back in the day, xtratuf were made in the US and were as good as you can get, unfortunately now they are made in China and no longer the quality of yesteryears. They still sell on their name but are nowhere near the quality. If you can find a Made in USA, which I doubt, buy all that you can get.
Lacrosse USA made a good product, but were since purchased by a Japan, company. Not sure of their present quality.

I spent many hours on deck in a Mustang exposure suit with only polypro underwear beneath it (more in AK). I can't find the exact model right now but I think it was lighter weight than this one but still had closed cell neoprene flotation. Stuff like Grundens is fine if you don't wear a PFD. If so, does it go inside or outside? Neither works well. The thin overall flotation on the exposure suit makes wearing it almost pleasant.

Did I get wet? Yes. Did I get cold. No. When your watch is over, just pull everything off. Your watch again? Put in your first dry spare pair of polypro and climb into the wet suit. It's only unpleasant for a minute. I admit that I grew up on the coast of Washington so wet is just another day.

For decades, I had traditional foul weather gear for sailing. We would be in the cockpit or on deck in the wind, rain, and spray. In the PNW, racing season isn’t in the summer. It would keep you “dry” and most importantly keep you warm.

Then I got a power boat. My foul weather gear still hangs in the locker in the cabin and rarely gets used.

In the PNW, we have many types of “rain”; mist, drizzle, steady rain, hard rain, downpour. Most of the time, all you need is a water-proof jacket or parka and a hat. Goretex does the trick for both. If you are going to be out in the wet for a while, some rain pants can be nice. I’ve got high quality HH follies, but for general rainwear, I prefer to go with lightweight, cheap, goretex. Costco is fine.

For a hat, I like Outdoor Research’s goretex wide brim rain hat. If it is going to be windy, a ball cap with the parka hood pulled over it is great.

I bought a pair of 15” Grundun Deck Boots a few years ago for an Alaska trip. Excellent boot for running to shore in the dinghy or bushwhacking through wet ground. They stay on the boat.

Growing up here, there really are only two reasons to try to avoid getting wet; stay warm and how long will it take to dry. So if it is only a mist or drizzle often it just isn’t worth the rain gear if you will be back in a dry environment where the you and your clothes will soon dry. Often it isn’t so much about the outerwear, but what material are your shirts and pants made of. On the boat, give me fast drying synthetics.

I like the old style Helly Hansen that stands up by itself.

The best I have ever used, and still use, is Gill's 052 model. A bit too much for summer temperatures, but great for the Fall and Winter. Everything zips and Velcro's to keep out rain, spray and wind; it even kept me dry crossing the Drake and in Antarctica, with several other layers under it.

Some years ago I bought a pair of Dubarry boots for racing, sitting on the rail in cold rain. They were pricey, but worth every penny for relative comfort. I stopped racing and haven't worn them in a couple of years, so if anyone is a size 12, drop me a note.

Jim

Xtratuf and musto,i just got new musto gore-tex jacket and pants and they are the highest quality ive ever seen,ive had helly Hanson,north face,and a few other top brands and none of them compares with the quality of musto

What dhays said...let’s not forget sideways rain. The under garments that are light and quick to dry out is crucial. Remember if it keeps the rain out it keeps the sweat in. I have 2 sets of grundens rain pants 2 carhart light rain wind breakers and a pair of xratuf boots along with some slip on muck shoes. But nothing beats a rain bird journey south to the desert during this grey out time of year.

Xtratuf and musto,i just got new musto gore-tex jacket and pants and they are the highest quality ive ever seen,ive had helly Hanson,north face,and a few other top brands and none of them compares with the quality of musto

Interesting. That’s actually what I ordered. It wasn’t the goretex jacket though so I will check it out when it arrives.

And I have an enclosed pilot house.

Anything that is breathable is NOT waterproof.... but they are hot.(PVC)

Unless you are working in the rain and absolutely have to have the waterproof gear the lighter stuff (even Frogtogs ) is ok if you layer under it.

I have Grundens for when it is pouring buckets, also important are the bibs that go under the jacket so you dont have water gushing down your butt crack---- and dont forget the importance of neoprene cuff on your jacket sleeves. So everytime you raise your arm up you dont run a fresh river of cold water down to your armpit---- Does all this sounds familiar to others hahahaha...

https://www.amazon.com/Grund%C3%A9ns-Neptune-Fishing-Anorak-Pullover/dp/B019GBJT0K/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2X1UQXIUO3XS3&dchild=1&keywords=grundens%2Brain%2Bgear%2Bfor%2Bmen&qid=1631980168&sprefix=drunden%2Brain%2Bgear%2Caps%2C590&sr=8-9&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Grundéns-Her...s+bib&qid=1631980800&s=apparel&sr=1-4-catcorr

Xtra-Tuff boots

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=x+tra+tuff+boots&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Last edited:
Marco Flamingo;1038144[URL="https://www.ebay.com/itm/184538206040?hash=item2af7558f58:g:e2UAAOSwD8FfsWY3" said:
Here's a nice one that will have people talking behind your back[/URL].

I can’t believe that is allowed to be sold with the CG patches etc still attached. Whoever is selling that needs a call from the authorities. Idiot.

I can’t believe that is allowed to be sold with the CG patches etc still attached. Whoever is selling that needs a call from the authorities. Idiot.

See that a lot in the Army surplus stores---- they are not even supposed to have the buttons on the dress uniform

Heads up, Mustang often has seconds that are very functional and cheaper.

I was the backpacking, ski packing kind of guy, living in snow caves up mountains et. al. So as you can imagine, rain/water proofing gear was a priority for me. And logically, early in with Gore-Tex products, jackets, mittens, pants, socks, hats and sleeping bag cover for the drips when the snow cave warmed up. But for non-active wear, I'm a fan of thicker rubberized clothing wear - probably wouldn't be if I lived in Florida.

By the way, my local chandlery to my home (Independent Chandlery) is dumping all its HH products. HH has become very unreliable in sizing. My wife and I were able to take advantage of this problem at Capital Iron during a sale when when jackets were on sale listed at sizes that were just wrong.

I like the Gage Weather Watch bibs. They are a thin shell so if you are looking for added warmth layer up. A few years ago I did a trans-Atlantic with a bunch of friends who had paid a lot of money for very expensive rain gear. I went to the local blue collar store and bought a jacket designed for guys who work on the road crew. Safety yellow with a removable poly lining. I paid 69-dollars instead of hundreds. I stayed as warm and dry as my friends but certainly did not look as stylish.

Forgot to say that these are available used on Ebay quite often. Seems people buy them and never wear them. They are either like new or mildewed. Here's a nice one that will have people talking behind your back.

Good suggestion. A few years ago I bought a Mustang bomber floatation jacket on ebay. It hadn’t been worn but had a small box cutter slit near the bottom of the jacket. It was a great bargain and during the winter season hangs in the pilot house. It is what I throw on when I leave the PH.

Just to clarify something here, from someone who has worked in the outdoor industry for 35 years. No matter what the label says, that Gore Tex jacket/bib you are discussing is not made out of Gore-Tex. Gore-Tex does not make clothing or fabrics, they make membranes.

Gore-Tex, and all other products like it, is a waterproof breathable membrane. The stuff you see on the outside of your jacket is not gore-tex, it is the shell fabric which is generally nylon or maybe poly. The gore-tex is either laminated to the inside of the shell fabric, or laminated to the inside of the liner fabric, depending on the construction of the garment.

All waterproof breathable rain gear will eventually start to "wet out" which is what happens when the jacket or bib starts to soak through. When wet out starts you need to treat the outside of the jacket with some sort of DWR (durable, water resistant) spray.

Also, all WPB laminates rely on a difference in either temp or humidity between the inside of the garment and the outside of the garment to make them breathe. So if it is 90 degrees with 90 percent humidity outside they barely breath at all. They work much better in cool, wet climates like the PNW than they do in the tropics.

All of the above also applies to footwear. Waterproof boots (unless they are rubber) have a WPB bootie inside of them, it's not on the outside or against your foot, it is in between those two layers. Footwear can also suffer from wet out as it ages and needs to be retreated.

Hope that helps.

Doug

We live in Southeast Alaska. It rained 3.3 inches yesterday. What we have for gear is Xtratuff or Bott rain boots and Grundens rain gear (long jacket and bib overalls) With lower quality rain gear, you are going to be wet.

Also suggest that you check your windows. Extra sealant is a good thing. When the winds are blowing, the rain can come in a different angles.

You'll need a heater in the boat, it can be chilly at night. In our "ditch bag" we have a half dozen chemical heat pads, the type you may use for skiing or snow machining.

Have a great trip

We live in Southeast Alaska. It rained 3.3 inches yesterday. What we have for gear is Xtratuff or Bott rain boots and Grundens rain gear (long jacket and bib overalls) With lower quality rain gear, you are going to be wet.

Also suggest that you check your windows. Extra sealant is a good thing. When the winds are blowing, the rain can come in a different angles.

You'll need a heater in the boat, it can be chilly at night. In our "ditch bag" we have a half dozen chemical heat pads, the type you may use for skiing or snow machining.

Have a great trip

But did you need to be out in that rain for some reason? Sounds like a good day to stay inside where it's warm and dry.

Well staying under cover is good but at some point you tie up the bow lines. Also, we fish in the rain (if you wait for sunshine, you'll be eating beef.) We also go out on tenders to beach comb and crab. It's wet but it's a way of life.

Lots of good comments here. Keep in mind that the right answer for sailing is different from the right answer for power boating or for working in the rain. As mentioned, breathable fabric is good if you are working hard and arent getting dirty, but isn’t waterproof to the extent pvc is. I just spent the summer in SE Alaska and it rained hard for days at a time. I eventually retired my breathable jacket and now use a pvc Grundens jacket for fishing and dirty work, and a non-pvc (fabric) Grundens for everything else. I stayed dry when the rest of the crew (with their expensive, breathable gear) eventually got wet. There are different weights of Grundens if that approach interests you. The heaviest ones are for work wear in cold weather and are too hot for general PNW wear IMO.

One related note: If you like to fish, crab, prawn etc, the pvc will wash off and anything that looks like fabric (all the high tech stuff) is much harder to get the slime and smell off of. Its worth getting 2 sets if you fish, or pick the one that suits you better.

Just thought of another tip. The xtratuf ankle boots are my favorite footwear on the boat. You can step in and out of them at the door and they are very comfortable to wear. I do have the full-height boots for when the weather is really crappy but only wear them a small percentage of the time.

Back
Top Bottom