Old 05-28-2020, 12:52 PM   #1
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 29 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Any reason to have the boats name on the transom

Into the final stages of refit and one of the tasks is to repainting a strip that has the names and numbers of the boat. The boat name is in three locations, two in the bow region and one on the transom.

Now I've already been yelled at by a BC Ferry Captain in the Baynes Sound area off of Vancouver Island and Denman Island. I didn't follow proper protocol for a cable ferry. I got a call on channel 16 from the Captain. So this scenario told me the boat name was clearly visible at the bow.

Part of the refit is adding a Seawise davit system, translation: my dinghy on its side off the swim platform blocking the view of the transom during transit. Currently the name of the boat, initials for the old yacht club and city are showing.

So at first, in a nod to laziness, I though I'd just keep the name, get rid of the old initials and location, both out of date. Then I thought, in a further nod to laziness, why not get rid of it all, it would make repainting this strip go faster and easier.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to a boat name on the transom? I have tried to find any legal discussion of boat name requirements for a boat in Canada licensed but not registered (my boat doesn't not require registration in Canada).

rsn48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:14 PM   #2
Guru

City: Las Vegas/West Coast
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Selene 47
Pretty sure its Still a requirement for Coast Guard documented vessels, at least here in the states, might be the same for Canada, but not sure.

Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 01:28 PM   #3
Guru

City: Gulf Islands
Vessel Name: MissStress
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
If you are licensed it is the 13K or other that is supposed to be at bow, none stern.
Registered, not sure of stern but see many have it there. Blocked by dingy. Mine is on bottom of dingy from previous owner in large letters for the ferry captain. LOL
Soo-Valley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 03:39 PM   #4
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
You will love the Seawise davits. We had them on a previous boat, they are great.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:15 PM   #5
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C.
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: xxxx
From Memory:
If the boat is REGISTERED in Canada the requirement is the name on each side of the bow 12" high or in millimeter equivalant. After some looking I see now that the side names are allowed to be 4" high, not the 12 my boat needed.

It is also required on the stern along with the port of registry. I don't remember the size for the transom though.

My boat is registered AND my dinghy obscures the main boat transom. I put the name on the dinghy bottom 5" high and the registry port 4" high.

For a licensed boat the requirement is 75mm high on each side of the bow for the license numbers. The name does not need to appear anywhere if I remember correctly., just the license number.

However if a boat is approaching from the rear then the name on the transom OR dinghy can make it possible for them to call you by name instead of "hey you" or by a long winded description of your boat and its position which is usually useless.

That has happened to me and it was absolutely clear that I was being hailed and not the other 5 boats around me.

How these are done is up to you, painted or decals doesn't matter.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 06:29 PM   #6
Guru

City: Port Angeles, WA
Vessel Name: Irene
U.S. Vessel Requirement

If the OP will permit me a bit of thread drift, below is the portion of the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations applicable to U.S. documented vessels:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/46/67.123

§ 67.123 Name and hailing port marking requirements.
(a) For vessels other than those covered in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, the name of the vessel must be marked on some clearly visible exterior part of the port and starboard bow and the stern of the vessel. The hailing port of the vessel must be marked on some clearly visible exterior part of the stern of the vessel.

(b) Vessels with square bow. For vessels having a square bow, the name of the vessel must be marked on some clearly visible exterior part of the bow in a manner to avoid obliteration. The name and hailing port must be marked on some clearly visible exterior part of the stern.

(c) Recreational vessels. For vessels documented exclusively for recreation, the name and hailing port must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull.

(d) The markings required by paragraphs (a), (b), and (c) of this section, which may be made by the use of any means and materials which result in durable markings, must be made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals not less than four inches in height.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:21 PM   #7

City: Canberra
Vessel Name: Blu Emu
Vessel Model: Ligure 50' aluminium power catamaran
When the question is so specific to a country's laws, it's a good idea to preface it with "In <country>, is there any reason..." rather than add it at the end of paragraphs. With regular annoyance, many people here think these are US-centric or north American forums rather than across the world... So the answer in Australia is yes, it's the law for a registered boat. There's simply no difference between a "licensed" boat and a "registered" boat in our jurisdiction. It is different when you go down to a state level of course, not national. And that may be the same for you - your boat may be licensed in a Canadian state and have regulations to follow for visibility of the registration information (keeping a paper copy on you, identifier being on the hull(s), etc.).
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:48 PM   #8
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 29 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
In Canada there are requirements at the "registered" boat level, but not so much at the licensed level.

License:

"Licensing for Pleasure Crafts
A pleasure craft vessel’s license is a document containing an exclusive license number. This number becomes the identification of this boat. In emergencies, your boat will be identified with this number. Anyone can apply for this license online. After receiving this document, the captain is responsible for the proper use of this license. Make sure to keep this physical license with you every time on the boat.

For your safety, you can lock this license in the vessel. You have to pay a fine of $250 for boating without this license. Moreover, the specific identification number of your boat should be displayed on both sides of your boat. Make sure to choose contrasting colors and block letters to write this number. The display should be 7 ½ centimeters tall.

The Captain is responsible for ensuring the possession of an up-to-date and correct license. This license will be valid for ten years. Make sure to renew this license after ten years. Similar to original license, you can apply for a renewed license by an official website or mail. The license must have updated information, such as your address, name and relevant details on your license.

If you have recently purchased a boat, you can operate it without any license in the initial 90 days. During this period, the captain must carry necessary documentation detailing his address, name, and proof of acquisition date.

Boat owners and captains can get their boat registered instead of obtaining a license for it. Both things need a different procedure. The primary differences between registration and licensing are their fees. Licensed pleasure crafts have identification numbers to display, and registered vessels get different markings. The boat’s exterior is marked with the boat’s name and registry port. For instance, The Liquid Assets, Toronto, ON.

Similar to the identification number on licensed boats, the name of your vessel is essential for rescue and search operations. The rescue officers will need this name to find you in emergencies. Make sure to choose a concise, clear and short name so that rescue personnel can remember it to search you if required. The inside of your boat will contain the registered tonnage and the official number of your boat.

If your boat needs a maritime mortgage or you have to travel out of Canada, you have to register your vessel. In this situation, you can’t choose between registering and licensing.

rsn48 is online now   Reply With Quote