Any reason to have the boats name on the transom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rsn48

Guru
Vessel Name
Capricorn
Vessel Make
Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
Into the final stages of refit and one of the tasks is to repainting a strip that has the names and numbers of the boat. The boat name is in three locations, two in the bow region and one on the transom.

Now I've already been yelled at by a BC Ferry Captain in the Baynes Sound area off of Vancouver Island and Denman Island. I didn't follow proper protocol for a cable ferry. I got a call on channel 16 from the Captain. So this scenario told me the boat name was clearly visible at the bow.

Part of the refit is adding a Seawise davit system, translation: my dinghy on its side off the swim platform blocking the view of the transom during transit. Currently the name of the boat, initials for the old yacht club and city are showing.

So at first, in a nod to laziness, I though I'd just keep the name, get rid of the old initials and location, both out of date. Then I thought, in a further nod to laziness, why not get rid of it all, it would make repainting this strip go faster and easier.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to a boat name on the transom? I have tried to find any legal discussion of boat name requirements for a boat in Canada licensed but not registered (my boat doesn't not require registration in Canada).

Pretty sure its Still a requirement for Coast Guard documented vessels, at least here in the states, might be the same for Canada, but not sure.

If you are licensed it is the 13K or other that is supposed to be at bow, none stern.
Registered, not sure of stern but see many have it there. Blocked by dingy. Mine is on bottom of dingy from previous owner in large letters for the ferry captain. LOL

You will love the Seawise davits. We had them on a previous boat, they are great.

From Memory:
If the boat is REGISTERED in Canada the requirement is the name on each side of the bow 12" high or in millimeter equivalant. After some looking I see now that the side names are allowed to be 4" high, not the 12 my boat needed.

It is also required on the stern along with the port of registry. I don't remember the size for the transom though.

My boat is registered AND my dinghy obscures the main boat transom. I put the name on the dinghy bottom 5" high and the registry port 4" high.

For a licensed boat the requirement is 75mm high on each side of the bow for the license numbers. The name does not need to appear anywhere if I remember correctly., just the license number.

However if a boat is approaching from the rear then the name on the transom OR dinghy can make it possible for them to call you by name instead of "hey you" or by a long winded description of your boat and its position which is usually useless.

That has happened to me and it was absolutely clear that I was being hailed and not the other 5 boats around me.

How these are done is up to you, painted or decals doesn't matter.

Last edited:
U.S. Vessel Requirement

If the OP will permit me a bit of thread drift, below is the portion of the U.S. Code of Federal Regulations applicable to U.S. documented vessels:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/46/67.123

§ 67.123 Name and hailing port marking requirements.
(a) For vessels other than those covered in paragraphs (b) and (c) of this section, the name of the vessel must be marked on some clearly visible exterior part of the port and starboard bow and the stern of the vessel. The hailing port of the vessel must be marked on some clearly visible exterior part of the stern of the vessel.

(b) Vessels with square bow. For vessels having a square bow, the name of the vessel must be marked on some clearly visible exterior part of the bow in a manner to avoid obliteration. The name and hailing port must be marked on some clearly visible exterior part of the stern.

(c) Recreational vessels. For vessels documented exclusively for recreation, the name and hailing port must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull.

(d) The markings required by paragraphs (a), (b), and (c) of this section, which may be made by the use of any means and materials which result in durable markings, must be made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals not less than four inches in height.

When the question is so specific to a country's laws, it's a good idea to preface it with "In <country>, is there any reason..." rather than add it at the end of paragraphs. With regular annoyance, many people here think these are US-centric or north American forums rather than across the world... So the answer in Australia is yes, it's the law for a registered boat. There's simply no difference between a "licensed" boat and a "registered" boat in our jurisdiction. It is different when you go down to a state level of course, not national. And that may be the same for you - your boat may be licensed in a Canadian state and have regulations to follow for visibility of the registration information (keeping a paper copy on you, identifier being on the hull(s), etc.).

In Canada there are requirements at the "registered" boat level, but not so much at the licensed level.

License:

"Licensing for Pleasure Crafts
A pleasure craft vessel’s license is a document containing an exclusive license number. This number becomes the identification of this boat. In emergencies, your boat will be identified with this number. Anyone can apply for this license online. After receiving this document, the captain is responsible for the proper use of this license. Make sure to keep this physical license with you every time on the boat.

For your safety, you can lock this license in the vessel. You have to pay a fine of $250 for boating without this license. Moreover, the specific identification number of your boat should be displayed on both sides of your boat. Make sure to choose contrasting colors and block letters to write this number. The display should be 7 ½ centimeters tall.

The Captain is responsible for ensuring the possession of an up-to-date and correct license. This license will be valid for ten years. Make sure to renew this license after ten years. Similar to original license, you can apply for a renewed license by an official website or mail. The license must have updated information, such as your address, name and relevant details on your license.

If you have recently purchased a boat, you can operate it without any license in the initial 90 days. During this period, the captain must carry necessary documentation detailing his address, name, and proof of acquisition date.

Boat owners and captains can get their boat registered instead of obtaining a license for it. Both things need a different procedure. The primary differences between registration and licensing are their fees. Licensed pleasure crafts have identification numbers to display, and registered vessels get different markings. The boat’s exterior is marked with the boat’s name and registry port. For instance, The Liquid Assets, Toronto, ON.

Similar to the identification number on licensed boats, the name of your vessel is essential for rescue and search operations. The rescue officers will need this name to find you in emergencies. Make sure to choose a concise, clear and short name so that rescue personnel can remember it to search you if required. The inside of your boat will contain the registered tonnage and the official number of your boat.

If your boat needs a maritime mortgage or you have to travel out of Canada, you have to register your vessel. In this situation, you can’t choose between registering and licensing.

Where can the Official Number be located? I'd like to fasten mine in the engine room but don't know if that is acceptable in Canada. If anyone can provide guidance for me it would be really appreciated. Asking Transport Canada is a painful process.

The official Registration number? Mine is in the engine compartment carved and then burned into a piece of wood attached firmly to the sole joist and then resin covered to make it difficult to remove or obscure. The number is visible by lifting the main E.R. compartment entry hatch.

I have had C.G. inspectors aboard and that was good enough.

I've gone round & round w/ a USCG Aux on US reqmts and have a decent handle of them. (He was adamant but wrong!)

Not familiar w/ Canadian reqmts so will stay out of it.

I've gone round & round w/ a USCG Aux on US reqmts and have a decent handle of them. (He was adamant but wrong!)

Not familiar w/ Canadian reqmts so will stay out of it.

The US requirements are pretty straight forward. At least 4” in height with name and hailing port together on a visible exterior part of the boat. Too bad the Vessel Examiner didn’t know the requirements…

I can tell you that after many trips up and down the AICW, NOT having the boat name on the transom is a royal PITA for boats astern trying to reach you by VHF.

My doc # is located on a rib in a center bilge. Screwed and glued. The "real" USCG told me it is good. I no longer mess with the aux as they don't understand thier own rules. 20220601_185232.jpg

My doc # is located on a rib in a center bilge. Screwed and glued. The "real" USCG told me it is good. I no longer mess with the aux as they don't understand thier own rules.View attachment 129289

Maybe give the Auxiliarists a break. They are working hard and trying to help out the CG and the boating public. Are they all perfect, absolutely not, but neither are any of us. By the way they are a real part of the CG too. And they don’t have their own rules as it relates to vessel safety checks. So maybe say thanks for the hundreds and thousands of hours they do for free…

I can tell you that after many trips up and down the AICW, NOT having the boat name on the transom is a royal PITA for boats astern trying to reach you by VHF.

THIS. Regardless of the rules (which you of course should be paramount) having the name and home port clearly visible is important. Also font counts... fancy swirly ones are a pain in the transom to decipher.

I have seen plaques made that hang above the dinghy displaying the information that would normally be visible on the transom. I'm looking at making something similar for Seaweed if I opt to keep Algae lifted when underway.

The US requirements are pretty straight forward. At least 4” in height with name and hailing port together on a visible exterior part of the boat. Too bad the Vessel Examiner didn’t know the requirements…
The disagreement was about Doc No. Display

Maybe give the Auxiliarists a break. They are working hard and trying to help out the CG and the boating public. Are they all perfect, absolutely not, but neither are any of us. By the way they are a real part of the CG too. And they don’t have their own rules as it relates to vessel safety checks. So maybe say thanks for the hundreds and thousands of hours they do for free…
Nothing against Aux in general.
This was just an arrogant vessel examiner that would not listen to reason and started name calling / bad mouthing USCG higher ups because in his opinion they were just " desk jockeys" same with those at NVDC because Hqtrs was W Va.. so they couldn't know anything about boats.

I have all the respect for volunteer vessel examiners (I am a USPS VSE myself) I just can't respect an arrogant know it all that would not listen to career USCG higher ups, trainers, etc because he thought he knew better.
He finally got put in his place by chain of command and he quit responding and believe he quit VSCs maybe even USCG Aux?

I understand your position. They do, at times help boaters. However, they have taken boaters aside and require the boater to correct an issue which is not part of USCG regulations.

Example is NDZ. The Columbia River is NOT a federal NDZ. Tie off the "Y" is not required. Period. Yet the AUX says it's required. Not true.

I have had the regular USCG tell me (K-Town) that the AUX is not the real USCG. Now let's proceed with a real inspection.

I have had the regular USCG tell me (K-Town) that the AUX is not the real USCG. Now let's proceed with a real inspection.[/QUOTE]

Well, I have had the Commandant, at the time, tell me personally that the Auxiliary is. Check the CFRs if you don’t believe me.

I have had the regular USCG tell me (K-Town) that the AUX is not the real USCG. Now let's proceed with a real inspection.

Well, I have had the Commandant, at the time, tell me personally that the Auxiliary is. Check the CFRs if you don’t believe me.[/QUOTE]

At the risk of taking this thread even more off course.... yes the CGAUX is a "real" part of the CG, it is the civilian, volunteer force that augments the active duty CG in many ways. But I think the idea behind the comment was more along the lines of CGAUX "inspections" were not binding or enforcement in any way. And as has been pointed out, there are times when the CGAUX "inspector" inserts too much of their own opinion into their courtesy inspection. Of course, the "real" CG boarding officer can do that as well but in my experience it is much less of an issue. So the point being made was probably reflective of the CG boarding officer's experience with the AUX. Am not talking down the CGAUX in any way, they do some really excellent things to help the CG.

Ah yes, well one bad experience with an individual doesn’t mean that someone should indict 20K plus members as being bad. Every organization, including the regular CG, has bad apples. So don’t dismiss the entire Auxiliary because of one bad vessel examiner. Generally the members of the Auxiliary are exemplary people who give of their time and personal resources to help the boating public and the CG. And it does make me mad when people dismiss all members because they had a bad experience. Are all police bad because you got stopped by a jerk that was a LE? Absolutely not. Same with any organization.

The official Registration number? Mine is in the engine compartment carved and then burned into a piece of wood attached firmly to the sole joist and then resin covered to make it difficult to remove or obscure. The number is visible by lifting the main E.R. compartment entry hatch.

I have had C.G. inspectors aboard and that was good enough.

My own vessel was the in Victoria Registry, the number routered into the main joist as well. Since updated by the surveyor, but survived a tax claim via the rule that Registry boats needed just updated owner info, if the Port of Registry was the same.

Boat locally.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom