Any One Else Have This "Problem"? Trawler Owner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You need to modify boat's window opening or the window insert? What brand window?

I modified the openings to accommodate the rounded frame version as they are supposedly stronger.

I am not near the boat but many are probably similar....I can email in a week or so...but after 8 YEARS, FOR AS INEXPENSIVE AS THEY WERE, TOP OF THE LINE ARENT A WHOLE LOT BETTER UNLESS YOU GO PLASTIC OR COMPOSITE FRAMES FOR A LOT MORE.

sorry for the caps...on my phone on the road....

Reactions: Art
Hi! 86 Albin 40 owner here. Yes, they leak. Enjoy the compliments!

I get lots of compliments from other boaters and folks walking the dock. I say "thank you, wanna help wash it?"

Yep! All the time. I think it’s a really nice compliment when someone goes out of their way to say something nice. I try to return the favor.

Attachments

• 2CDFBA39-AF11-4F0D-92EB-8CB9BA1ED7CC.jpeg
    2CDFBA39-AF11-4F0D-92EB-8CB9BA1ED7CC.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 46
Currently reading the most recent edition of Beebe. Book says some things that could be interpreted as unkind concerning the use of the designation of “trawler “.
Still to my eye The NTs and Ats are very pretty boats. Had a friend who owned a fleet of tugs working port of New York. They have nothing shared with those monsters. But who cares and they do what they’re meant to do. Same with “Trawlers” like GB or Mainship or any semi displacement hull. Been out on stern and side trawlers and again there’s no resemblance to working craft. But again who caress.Form follows function and they are pretty craft when Bristol. Personally drawn to trawler and troller hulls. Protected running gear. Even with maintenance strakes efficient and strong. Love the look of a Portuguese bridge seeing the New Bedford fleet all my boating life. It’s so important your boat has the “dinghy factor” that it moves your heart as you see her leaving or coming to her on your dinghy. Otherwise what’s the point of all that elbow grease to keep her Bristol fashion.

Beautiful boat. Beautiful location.

For anyone who hasn't been there, Cayuga is one of the most picturesque lakes in America, with Ithaca its jewel at the southern end. It connects to the Erie Canal system, so you can cruise one way into the Great Lakes or the other down to New York and the Atlantic. A great location for a trawler!

In warm weather we live aboard a Grand Banks 42 Classic on a busy stretch. So we hear constant remarks from passing traffic. The other day a group of guys passed our stern and we could hear one say: "look an old fishing boat. And it's wood!" (He was looking at our transom.) I took his comment as an unwitting compliment -- he was paying tribute to the deep roots of the trawler in no-nonsense working boats.

As trawler owners, we're proud of the balance between form and function. Much marine architecture today is serving up fantasy. What I call the suppository school of boat design with its extreme reverse sheer is intentionally aggressive. I do hope you're right -- that there's a growing appreciation of the trawler lines. It's more than a style choice; it's a window into the logic and wisdom of the maritime tradition. There's a cohort of younger boaters coming up behind us, and I wonder what choices they are going to make...

As trawler owners, we're proud of the balance between form and function. Much marine architecture today is serving up fantasy. What I call the suppository school of boat design with its extreme reverse sheer is intentionally aggressive. I do hope you're right -- that there's a growing appreciation of the trawler lines. It's more than a style choice; it's a window into the logic and wisdom of the maritime tradition. There's a cohort of younger boaters coming up behind us, and I wonder what choices they are going to make...

Younger boater here. My boat isn't exactly a trawler, but I'm of the opinion that for the most part, reverse sheer looks like crap and gives the impression of being un-seaworthy.

Here in FL the young people are buying center console boats with as many high horsepower outboards as they can possibly fit on the transom.

Bet these "Facts & Figures" I copied off the net are in no way applicable to this sad 2020! - :nonono: :banghead:

Taking excerpts from this study: "95% of boats on the water (powerboats, personal watercraft, and sailboats) in the U.S. are small, towable boats under 26 ft." ... which equates to... of the "12 million registered boats in the U.S. in 2017" that in reality there are only 600,000 of the size boats that are on TF.

Therefore, clearly shown: We [big enough boat to live aboard when desired] pleasure boat owning folks [having boats over 26'] account for less than .002% of the U.S. total population of 330,000,000 persons.

In context: Youngsters coming along have only 600,000 pleasure boats such as we enjoy to chose from. Soooo... if we want our dear ol' boats to continue selling we'd better make sure they are kept in good enough condition to resell. Otherwise - to the scrap heap, or blub, blub, blub they will go! :facepalm: :speed boat: :dance:

Facts & Figures b

Recreational boating by the numbers ...

Total recreational marine expenditures reached a high of $39 billion in 2017, up 6.5% from 2016.

An estimated 262,000 new powerboats were sold in 2017, an increase of 4.7 percent compared to 2016.

Annual U.S. retail sales of new boats, marine engines and marine accessories totaled $20.1 billion in 2017, an increase of 9.5 percent.

Americans are taking to the water: 141.6 million Americans (adults & children under the age of 18) went boating in 2016.

Boats are made in America: 95 percent of powerboats sold in the U.S. are made in the U.S.

There were an estimated 12 million registered boats in the U.S. in 2017.

95% of boats on the water (powerboats, personal watercraft, and sailboats) in the U.S. are small, towable boats under 26 ft.

It’s not just new boats Americans are buying; there were an estimated 988,200 pre-owned boats (powerboats, personal watercraft, and sailboats) sold in 2017, an increase of 0.7. Boating is primarily a middle-class lifestyle as 62% of American boat owners have an annual household income $100,000 or less.

Source: National Marine Manufacturers Association, 2017 U.S. Recreational Boating Statistical Abstract, 2016 Recreational Boating Participation Study.

Our boat, Mimi's Oasis, garners a lot of attention at our marina.

I love showing our boat to both other boaters and people who are staring from the boardwalk that is just outside the dock gates. I especially like showing it to people on the boardwalk who might have kids who are "oohing, and awing" about boats in general. It makes the parents feel good to know that the kids feel that "their" mom or dad (or both) can get them onto boats. That will probably not make sense to everyone, but some Forum members will get it.

Of course, this year has made it more difficult. I used to "show" my Nordhavn probably at least once a day when docked either at my home marina or elsewhere. This year with Mimi's Oasis, a North Pacific 49, it has only been a few times.

Another thing. If I see a parent with a kid in ANY type of watercraft, a canoe, a rowboat, a 5 hp "beater", but they see me in my boat and the kid(s) are looking with envious eyes, I will ALWAYS have something nice to say about their watercraft. Like "Wow, I wish I could get into shallow places like you can", or "Wish I could fish off my boat like you can". Or, my favorite, "Wow, I wish my Dad (or Mom) had taken me fishing when I was your age" (which he didn't because we didn't live near water). Something, anything to make the parent feel just a bit better when his kid smiles like "Hey, Dad, that guy on the big boat thinks you are cool".

And, when showing my boat I always make a point of saying how at "their" age, and with "kids" I would only have dreamed about having a boat.

We are all blessed to have the boats we have, whether they are $20,000 boats or $2,000,000 boats. I think we should make an effort to "share the blessing" in small ways with people who don't have what we have.

Was that photo taken out of admiration for your boat, or to document it waking their marina? [emoji1]

There is no marina within 8 miles of that photo taken from my own pier. All the boats in the bayou are hung from lifts - no wake issues.

I get it a lot, too...but not as much as I give it. I appreciate folks who appreciate the beauty of a trawler. I've heard it from dock walkers, fellow boaters, bridge operators and passersby. Makes me smile every time and often sparks a series of Q&As about the boat.

In the evenings when I'm aboard, I enjoy a late afternoon or evening dink ride around the local area - a marina, anchorage or remote area of the California Delta. I take the chance to check out the attractive boats in the area and will share compliments with the Capt if (s)he's on deck or dock. It's a great way to meet your neighbors and share our passion for all things trawlering.

Wonderful thoughts. Like you I never demean a vessel as they all give someone joy. I ve always tried to take a newbie as crew as the without new blood the sport dies. Never understood the dynamic between between sail and power. There’s jerks and consummate seamen in both groups. I love boats be it a pretty Whitehall, a 12 1/2, a Wm Hand motoryacht or a Fife ketch. Old or new, row, motor or sail there’s nothing that compares to messing around in boats.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107724&stc=1&d=1599950476

We've had a few passagemakers over the years but none have gotten as many positive comments as Amadeus.

The best compliment was from an owner of a beautifully restored, bristol DeFever that pulled in next to us on a busy Sunday afternoon in Roche Harbor. The place was a zoo. After he tied up he came over and said, "I'm paranoid about someone hitting my boat and I toolk one look at yours and figured you knew what you were doing."

We became good friends...

Attachments

• new yacht.jpg
    new yacht.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 56
Some admire beauty...

Mines a little rough but looks well travelled...I think the dreamers comment on mine.

Yours has the salty look to draw the same.
I think a trawler design is authentic and I think folks see that. A trawler does what it is designed to do very well. They give up speed in exchange is all...that’s why I waited until I was 60 to buy one...

Leaking aft cabin windows

I have a 1986 Albin 36 footer. I get the same kind of comments, which is a wonderful affirmation of her design and the hard work to maintain her.

Question for you: Have you had leaks from the windows in the aft cabin? If so, what have you done about it?
Also, any problems with a leak into the anchor locker. I can't find the source.

We have a '78 Albin 33 and yes, we've had leaks from the Aft cabin windows. We fixed this, for the most part, by making sure there's a gap or channel between the exterior window trim and the outside wall, allowing the water to drain from the window. However, in heavy, driven rains, the drainage can't fully keep up with the water coming rushing down the windows.

Have received similar positive comments.

Attachments

• leaving berth.jpg
    leaving berth.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 41
We get a lot of compliments but I think being on a lake there are fewer trawlers so you really stand out. Enjoy the attention you have a gorgeous boat. Better than having folks cruise by and say under their breath “that’s a piece of ....”(this describes the person next to me?

IC grad ‘85. Have a slice of deep dish from the Nines for me.

I have a 1986 Albin 36 footer. I get the same kind of comments, which is a wonderful affirmation of her design and the hard work to maintain her.

Question for you: Have you had leaks from the windows in the aft cabin? If so, what have you done about it?
Also, any problems with a leak into the anchor locker. I can't find the source.

I had this problem on rare occasions and it took just the right storm with me standing there to finally figure out what was happening. The leaks from the aft cabin windows is because the boat has a slightly forward tilt - but the window channel drains are at the aft end of the channels. To fix: From inside The forward end of the channel, drill down and out to form another drain at the forward end of the channel to solve this problem.

Ken

We thought we were something in our Silverton 40 Aft Cabin.

Then we went to Atlantis and walked the marina.

We were like a carbuncle on the buttock of humanity.

Ha! Well put. I get the same feeling when we stay at Harbour Town, Hilton Head. 1st time there I felt like the Clampetts pulling in. But ironically, that's were we've received the most boat compliments.

Last edited:
Ha! Well put. I get the same feeling when we stay at Harbour Town, Hilton Head. 1st time there I felt like the Clampetts pulling in. But ironically, that's were we've received the most boat compliments.

Often, persons with complications [of any type and in any manner]... in their lives... pine for the simplifications of others they see. Thus compliments flow forth!

I think a trawler design is authentic and I think folks see that. A trawler does what it is designed to do very well. They give up speed in exchange is all...that’s why I waited until I was 60 to buy one...

Trawlers for the most part are not form follows function....so they do get compliments compared to the tubby but roomy, newer Clorox (spaceship) looking designs of newer boats.

While "looking" salty, it rolls so bad and is so slow, that taking it out in the ocean is a rare pleasure when snowbirding.

The Albins I think get many of their compliments because of their clipper bows, but that just reduces interior room, and waterline length (speed to an unnecessary degree). The narrow forefoot accentuates plunging.

I think the " traditional" trawlers are designed for their "salty" looks and called trawlers to match the marketing. They seem to fit a natural progression for older sailors whose physical limitations make them a good fit to stay cruising.

All said.... I think it's mostly dreamers and non boaters that stop and make the compliments as real cruisers, are way fewer and farther between.

Last edited:
For power boat eye candy, I watch for the old commuters from the 30's, long skinny and never rooomarans 3 stories tall with an oxygen tent on top.

Still would like to pick up a Midnight Lace , a more modern version.

Relaxing on the hook looking at a sail boat with a bright (all varnished) hull is always a delight.

There will always be bigger/smaller. The key is, I am happy with my boat.

Reactions: Art
Often what you own is not what you lust after.

Yup. And there are plenty of things that are interesting or cool and would be awesome to experience, but I'd never want to own. Woodies pretty much all fit in that category. I like them, but I don't want one.

Phil Enscoe - Our Albin 43 had leaks around the windows and into the chain locker when we bought her. I fixed the window leaks by installing new SS window channels, both for the fixed and sliding portions. (Upper tracks were OK.) I used toothpicks to fill the old screw holes and epoxied them into the window sill. Then, a layer of penetrating epoxy, then UV resistant varnish followed by the window channels - which were well sealed with Sikaflex, and a couple more coats of varnish. If you do replace the channels, be sure to cut a small section of the channel out on the outside edge to let water drain out of the channel.

Water ran down the Samson posts and on down into the chain locker because the sealant had been squished out from around the posts. I remedied that by grinding out a 1/4" area (otherwise known as a "pitch pocket") around the posts on the top part of the deck's fiberglass, so that there was an area for sealant to flex due to expansion/contraction, but the posts were still solidly affixed. The bottom of one post had partially rotted, so I replaced it and then glassed both posts in VERY WELL - both under the deck and to the post receptacles (formed by the original post/boat construction. I then mitered teak strips to fit around the Sampson posts. The inside edges were cut at 45 degrees, then filled with Sikaflex and screwed down (thus making the "pitch-pockets" larger and protected). All screws had pre-drilled holes so that I could put sealant into them before inserting the screws. I had no further problems with either the windows or the posts. The two other leaks were minor, but irritating - both aft corner cleats leaked a little bit and the fuel fill leaked after owning her for several years. I removed the aft cleats and re-bedded them with robust backing blocks. Access was surprisingly easy as the corner joinery was simply screwed in a piece at a time, so I just disassembled it a piece at a time. The fuel leak was resolved in the manner suggested on this forum many times - remove the fuel fill (or water, as the case may be) and, using an Allen wrench chucked into a drill, clean out the plywood under the fiberglass deck to the length of the Allen wrench - about 3/4". I screwed a 3/8" (IIRC) backing block from underneath the deck to give a base for an epoxy w/sawdust mishmash to fill the hole, let it set and drilled the hole for the deck fill through the mishmash and backer board. Had to make sure the deck fill would have sufficient length to properly clamp the fuel hose on to it. The job was made quite easy as the entry step/storage box is removable, which gave unfettered access under the deck at the water and fuel fills.

We thought we were something in our Silverton 40 Aft Cabin.

Then we went to Atlantis and walked the marina.

We were like a carbuncle on the buttock of humanity.

Had to laugh at your comment. We were at the mega dock in Charleston on our Grand Banks 42 surrounded by mega yachts, we felt like we were in a dinghy. Hahahah.

I love that almost 100% of responders to this thread have similar comments that the OP made. I am in the same boat! Although I admit to being quite biased about my feelings for the 42 Ocean Alexander that I owned, two others have bought the same model after being aboard my boat. The final accolade was delivered 1 day after listing it for sale. The first couple, with their captain, to tour the boat bought it and with no counter! (The price was above market too!)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 5.59.05 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 5.59.05 PM.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Flybridge.jpg
    Flybridge.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Interior.jpg
    Interior.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Engineroom.jpg
    Engineroom.jpg