Old 09-12-2020, 10:57 AM   #41

City: Hilton Head, SC
Vessel Name: Mimi's Oasis
Vessel Model: North Pacific 49
Our boat, Mimi's Oasis, garners a lot of attention at our marina.

I love showing our boat to both other boaters and people who are staring from the boardwalk that is just outside the dock gates. I especially like showing it to people on the boardwalk who might have kids who are "oohing, and awing" about boats in general. It makes the parents feel good to know that the kids feel that "their" mom or dad (or both) can get them onto boats. That will probably not make sense to everyone, but some Forum members will get it.

Of course, this year has made it more difficult. I used to "show" my Nordhavn probably at least once a day when docked either at my home marina or elsewhere. This year with Mimi's Oasis, a North Pacific 49, it has only been a few times.

Another thing. If I see a parent with a kid in ANY type of watercraft, a canoe, a rowboat, a 5 hp "beater", but they see me in my boat and the kid(s) are looking with envious eyes, I will ALWAYS have something nice to say about their watercraft. Like "Wow, I wish I could get into shallow places like you can", or "Wish I could fish off my boat like you can". Or, my favorite, "Wow, I wish my Dad (or Mom) had taken me fishing when I was your age" (which he didn't because we didn't live near water). Something, anything to make the parent feel just a bit better when his kid smiles like "Hey, Dad, that guy on the big boat thinks you are cool".

And, when showing my boat I always make a point of saying how at "their" age, and with "kids" I would only have dreamed about having a boat.

We are all blessed to have the boats we have, whether they are $20,000 boats or $2,000,000 boats. I think we should make an effort to "share the blessing" in small ways with people who don't have what we have.
Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:26 PM   #42
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Cessna View Post
Was that photo taken out of admiration for your boat, or to document it waking their marina?
There is no marina within 8 miles of that photo taken from my own pier. All the boats in the bayou are hung from lifts - no wake issues.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 12:45 PM   #43
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I get it a lot, too...but not as much as I give it. I appreciate folks who appreciate the beauty of a trawler. I've heard it from dock walkers, fellow boaters, bridge operators and passersby. Makes me smile every time and often sparks a series of Q&As about the boat.

In the evenings when I'm aboard, I enjoy a late afternoon or evening dink ride around the local area - a marina, anchorage or remote area of the California Delta. I take the chance to check out the attractive boats in the area and will share compliments with the Capt if (s)he's on deck or dock. It's a great way to meet your neighbors and share our passion for all things trawlering.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 01:56 PM   #44
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Wonderful thoughts. Like you I never demean a vessel as they all give someone joy. I ve always tried to take a newbie as crew as the without new blood the sport dies. Never understood the dynamic between between sail and power. There’s jerks and consummate seamen in both groups. I love boats be it a pretty Whitehall, a 12 1/2, a Wm Hand motoryacht or a Fife ketch. Old or new, row, motor or sail there’s nothing that compares to messing around in boats.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:46 PM   #45
Veteran Member

City: Post Falls, ID
Vessel Name: Amadeus
Vessel Model: Diesel Duck 55
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...1&d=1599950476

We've had a few passagemakers over the years but none have gotten as many positive comments as Amadeus.

The best compliment was from an owner of a beautifully restored, bristol DeFever that pulled in next to us on a busy Sunday afternoon in Roche Harbor. The place was a zoo. After he tied up he came over and said, "I'm paranoid about someone hitting my boat and I toolk one look at yours and figured you knew what you were doing."

We became good friends...
Attached Thumbnails
new yacht.jpg  
CEO, Triton Submarines LLC
Amadeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:33 PM   #46
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Angelena
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32-309
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Some admire beauty...

Mines a little rough but looks well travelled...I think the dreamers comment on mine.

Yours has the salty look to draw the same.
I think a trawler design is authentic and I think folks see that. A trawler does what it is designed to do very well. They give up speed in exchange is all...that’s why I waited until I was 60 to buy one...
Willin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:14 PM   #47

City: Cable WI
Vessel Name: Tis Grand
Vessel Model: 1987 Grand Banks Classic 36
Leaking aft cabin windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Enscoe View Post
I have a 1986 Albin 36 footer. I get the same kind of comments, which is a wonderful affirmation of her design and the hard work to maintain her.

Question for you: Have you had leaks from the windows in the aft cabin? If so, what have you done about it?
Also, any problems with a leak into the anchor locker. I can't find the source.

We have a '78 Albin 33 and yes, we've had leaks from the Aft cabin windows. We fixed this, for the most part, by making sure there's a gap or channel between the exterior window trim and the outside wall, allowing the water to drain from the window. However, in heavy, driven rains, the drainage can't fully keep up with the water coming rushing down the windows.
NedZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:34 PM   #48
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Have received similar positive comments.
Attached Thumbnails
leaving berth.jpg  
Old 09-12-2020, 08:13 PM   #49
Guru

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
We get a lot of compliments but I think being on a lake there are fewer trawlers so you really stand out. Enjoy the attention you have a gorgeous boat. Better than having folks cruise by and say under their breath “that’s a piece of ....”(this describes the person next to me😩

IC grad ‘85. Have a slice of deep dish from the Nines for me.
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:25 PM   #50
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Enscoe View Post
I have a 1986 Albin 36 footer. I get the same kind of comments, which is a wonderful affirmation of her design and the hard work to maintain her.

Question for you: Have you had leaks from the windows in the aft cabin? If so, what have you done about it?
Also, any problems with a leak into the anchor locker. I can't find the source.
I had this problem on rare occasions and it took just the right storm with me standing there to finally figure out what was happening. The leaks from the aft cabin windows is because the boat has a slightly forward tilt - but the window channel drains are at the aft end of the channels. To fix: From inside The forward end of the channel, drill down and out to form another drain at the forward end of the channel to solve this problem.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:14 PM   #51

City: Beaufort, SC
Vessel Name: TAMI II
Vessel Model: Tollycraft, 44 CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
We thought we were something in our Silverton 40 Aft Cabin.

Then we went to Atlantis and walked the marina.

We were like a carbuncle on the buttock of humanity.

Ha! Well put. I get the same feeling when we stay at Harbour Town, Hilton Head. 1st time there I felt like the Clampetts pulling in. But ironically, that's were we've received the most boat compliments.
ORIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:26 PM   #52
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIF View Post
Ha! Well put. I get the same feeling when we stay at Harbour Town, Hilton Head. 1st time there I felt like the Clampetts pulling in. But ironically, that's were we've received the most boat compliments.
Often, persons with complications [of any type and in any manner]... in their lives... pine for the simplifications of others they see. Thus compliments flow forth!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:10 AM   #53
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willin View Post
I think a trawler design is authentic and I think folks see that. A trawler does what it is designed to do very well. They give up speed in exchange is all...that’s why I waited until I was 60 to buy one...
Trawlers for the most part are not form follows function....so they do get compliments compared to the tubby but roomy, newer Clorox (spaceship) looking designs of newer boats.

While "looking" salty, it rolls so bad and is so slow, that taking it out in the ocean is a rare pleasure when snowbirding.

The Albins I think get many of their compliments because of their clipper bows, but that just reduces interior room, and waterline length (speed to an unnecessary degree). The narrow forefoot accentuates plunging.

I think the " traditional" trawlers are designed for their "salty" looks and called trawlers to match the marketing. They seem to fit a natural progression for older sailors whose physical limitations make them a good fit to stay cruising.

All said.... I think it's mostly dreamers and non boaters that stop and make the compliments as real cruisers, are way fewer and farther between.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:20 AM   #54
FF
Guru

For power boat eye candy, I watch for the old commuters from the 30's, long skinny and never rooomarans 3 stories tall with an oxygen tent on top.

Still would like to pick up a Midnight Lace , a more modern version.

Relaxing on the hook looking at a sail boat with a bright (all varnished) hull is always a delight.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:59 AM   #55
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
There will always be bigger/smaller. The key is, I am happy with my boat.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:36 AM   #56
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Often what you own is not what you lust after.

Yup. And there are plenty of things that are interesting or cool and would be awesome to experience, but I'd never want to own. Woodies pretty much all fit in that category. I like them, but I don't want one.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:47 PM   #57
Veteran Member

City: Parker, FL
Vessel Name: Cobie
Vessel Model: Cobia 220 Walk Around
Phil Enscoe - Our Albin 43 had leaks around the windows and into the chain locker when we bought her. I fixed the window leaks by installing new SS window channels, both for the fixed and sliding portions. (Upper tracks were OK.) I used toothpicks to fill the old screw holes and epoxied them into the window sill. Then, a layer of penetrating epoxy, then UV resistant varnish followed by the window channels - which were well sealed with Sikaflex, and a couple more coats of varnish. If you do replace the channels, be sure to cut a small section of the channel out on the outside edge to let water drain out of the channel.

Water ran down the Samson posts and on down into the chain locker because the sealant had been squished out from around the posts. I remedied that by grinding out a 1/4" area (otherwise known as a "pitch pocket") around the posts on the top part of the deck's fiberglass, so that there was an area for sealant to flex due to expansion/contraction, but the posts were still solidly affixed. The bottom of one post had partially rotted, so I replaced it and then glassed both posts in VERY WELL - both under the deck and to the post receptacles (formed by the original post/boat construction. I then mitered teak strips to fit around the Sampson posts. The inside edges were cut at 45 degrees, then filled with Sikaflex and screwed down (thus making the "pitch-pockets" larger and protected). All screws had pre-drilled holes so that I could put sealant into them before inserting the screws. I had no further problems with either the windows or the posts. The two other leaks were minor, but irritating - both aft corner cleats leaked a little bit and the fuel fill leaked after owning her for several years. I removed the aft cleats and re-bedded them with robust backing blocks. Access was surprisingly easy as the corner joinery was simply screwed in a piece at a time, so I just disassembled it a piece at a time. The fuel leak was resolved in the manner suggested on this forum many times - remove the fuel fill (or water, as the case may be) and, using an Allen wrench chucked into a drill, clean out the plywood under the fiberglass deck to the length of the Allen wrench - about 3/4". I screwed a 3/8" (IIRC) backing block from underneath the deck to give a base for an epoxy w/sawdust mishmash to fill the hole, let it set and drilled the hole for the deck fill through the mishmash and backer board. Had to make sure the deck fill would have sufficient length to properly clamp the fuel hose on to it. The job was made quite easy as the entry step/storage box is removable, which gave unfettered access under the deck at the water and fuel fills.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:00 PM   #58
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
There will always be bigger/smaller. The key is, I am happy with my boat.
Old 02-05-2022, 07:56 AM   #59

City: Fairhope
Vessel Name: Morningside
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
We thought we were something in our Silverton 40 Aft Cabin.

Then we went to Atlantis and walked the marina.

We were like a carbuncle on the buttock of humanity.
Had to laugh at your comment. We were at the mega dock in Charleston on our Grand Banks 42 surrounded by mega yachts, we felt like we were in a dinghy. Hahahah.
Johnboyrtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 09:56 AM   #60
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
I love that almost 100% of responders to this thread have similar comments that the OP made. I am in the same boat! Although I admit to being quite biased about my feelings for the 42 Ocean Alexander that I owned, two others have bought the same model after being aboard my boat. The final accolade was delivered 1 day after listing it for sale. The first couple, with their captain, to tour the boat bought it and with no counter! (The price was above market too!)
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-08-09 at 5.59.05 PM.jpg   Flybridge.jpg   Interior.jpg   Engineroom.jpg