any Ocean sunliner owners out there

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DECAPTN

Vessel Name
CAPT ZIP
Vessel Make
TIARA 33
looking at a 46 ocean sunliner w/ 671 TI's to live on for a while. Owned a 42 ocean SF and I loved it for cruising and fishing so I think the sunliner should work for cruising and being a dock bum. Love to compare notes.

I am looking at a Ocean Yacht Sunliner, 42 ft. It was abandoned at a marina and the marina is offering her for slip fees. She looks awful. But, better than the Catalina 30 sailboat I got cheap, her keel was broken a bit. I am going to ask the marina to run the engines and genset before I agree to buy.

You must do a thorough survey of an ocean. The stringer tabs may have detached from the hull, the attachments of the top sides to the hull at the rub rail may be the cause of major water intrusion and an ocean expert should check out how all the machinery aligns. 671-TI s and those horrible Capital gears must be checked by the pros or you better win the lottery. There are many Oceans that pass the tests and then I feel there is no better boat The abused ones are junk.

Needed to communicate with someone who has cruised and has done trawler speeds for long distances.

Good luck

Capt Zip

Capt Zip thanks. I went through her and did not see any issues. Overall she looks like she has good bones. But I do want to get a survey done on her.

While still looking at her I have one condition before even going further is to have the engines running. Today the owner put a call into a 671 Detroit Diesel mechanic come to the marina and start the engines. That has always been a requirement before going further, the engines have to run and not need to be replaced. Times flows slowly.

btw
you should have your mechanic check out the motors. Rebuilding a 671TI starts at $20,000 each. cooling system pressure tests are vital, mega bucks there too.
Light blue smoke while in gear is not good.

It has been a year and a half since I posted about the Ocean Yachts 46 Sunliner. I did get the price way down and bought her. I have been working on her, along with hiring pro's to do some of the work I could not.

You can see the boat on my YouTube channel Buena Ventura Life. I have been doing videos of her and the progress. Funny about progress, there is so much to do very little shows.

I hired Scott Crosby, YouTube channel Bus Grease Monkey, to check out the Detroit Diesel 671's. Good thing I did as he found a broken injector on the port engine. It would have been a disaster if I had tried to start it. He has videos up of the work. He said the engines are in very good condition.

The boat had been in a near hit of lightening as there were many melted AC cables and outlets. I hired an electrician to replace the boat side shore power connector and to repair the power control panel.

Slowly she is coming back to life, and I am happy about having her. Yes, it was a gamble to buy something that looked as bad as she did, but with running engines, she was no longer a derelict, but a boat. My boat. Her name is Buena Ventura, named after the ship my great-uncle died on in WWI; sunk by a German submarine and his body was never recovered.

It has been a year and a half since I posted about the Ocean Yachts 46 Sunliner. I did get the price way down and bought her. I have been working on her, along with hiring pro's to do some of the work I could not.

You can see the boat on my YouTube channel Buena Ventura Life. I have been doing videos of her and the progress. Funny about progress, there is so much to do very little shows.

I hired Scott Crosby, YouTube channel Bus Grease Monkey, to check out the Detroit Diesel 671's. Good thing I did as he found a broken injector on the port engine. It would have been a disaster if I had tried to start it. He has videos up of the work. He said the engines are in very good condition.

The boat had been in a near hit of lightening as there were many melted AC cables and outlets. I hired an electrician to replace the boat side shore power connector and to repair the power control panel.

Slowly she is coming back to life, and I am happy about having her. Yes, it was a gamble to buy something that looked as bad as she did, but with running engines, she was no longer a derelict, but a boat. My boat. Her name is Buena Ventura, named after the ship my great-uncle died on in WWI; sunk by a German submarine and his body was never recovered.

Cool! Have fun

Congrats on your new boat. We need photos here too...

1983 Ocean 46 Sunliner

Here are a few pictures of her. One is of Scott working on an engine. If you know the type of control cable I need please tell me. I know it is a Morse control, but I do not know the type of end it is.

I have many videos up on my YouTube Channel Buena Ventura Life.

Attachments

• comp DSCN1734.jpg
    comp DSCN1734.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN1446.jpg
    DSCN1446.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC_0240.jpg
    DSC_0240.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 22
  • DSC_0214.jpg
    DSC_0214.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0139.jpg
    DSC_0139.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 25
Not sure if any of you all are still tracking this post. I saw an Ocean Sunliner recently and thought it was a nice boat. Any owners happy they bought this boat?

Seems worth a look. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom