Old 09-01-2020, 07:16 PM   #1
Guru

City: Seattle, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 54-8
Any OC Tender Owners Out There?

We're pretty close to pulling the trigger on an OC Tender 350 to ship from NZ to Seattle in April. Before we shell out some significant boat bucks I wanted to see if any trawler owners out there run these tenders.

This is the model we're interested in: https://octenders.co.nz/products-oc350/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Delivered-in-Seattle.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	107368  

Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:14 AM   #2

City: Everett
Vessel Name: Boatless
I seen a two so far this summer. One was on a 45+ Sailboat from Hawaii, the other is attached in the pic. I think its a perfect PNW dink, hard bottom, light, tall sides, light, can cut through some chop, light, Dry ride, light.
Hard to believe that the PNW has not made something like this years ago with all of our Boeing tec and Carbon fiber stuff. I have talked to OC about getting one, but its a little over what I am willing to pay at the moment, exp with shipping. Might do it after we get our next boat. They say they are working on getting a rep in the area

We were out in the bay and our 8-8 rib has a 15hp Honda, The OC had about a 8hp and was prob a 10 footer. We were doing the same speed flat out. His dink is probably 1/2 the weight of mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image003 (002).jpg
Views:	101
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	107379  

RonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:42 AM   #3
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
These look like a nice hard-dinghy solution. Like Ron, I'm surprised that they haven't caught on better. I've never seen one in service. Maybe it's a price thing.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:02 PM   #4

From what I have gathered its about 9-10k delivered for the OC 3000. Weighs about 95lb, can take a 8hp engine.

On the same note a Zodiac Cadet Rib 300 Aluminum is about 2k, Weights about 95lb and can take up to a 15hp. And I can pick it up in Seattle tomorrow.

Right now we have a 07 Silver Marine Tender that's about 8-8 with a double fiberglass bottom, center council and a Honda 15hp with electric start, tilt, lights, 3 gallon center tank. I don't care for the Center council as it weighs a lot. It also has no provisions to tow it.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:58 PM   #5
Guru

One thing that intrigues us is the sailing version. Takes the utility tender and converts it an additional water toy when you're on anchor.

We have a Bullfrog now. Great dinghy, pretty indestructible but it's small at 10'. Add two adults, two large dogs and there's little room left for groceries or gear (crap pots), etc.

The dingy on our boat stores forward of the pilothouse and is launched and retrieved using a winch and a traveler the main mast so the lighter the better.

From what I understand these are all hand made in NZ and shipped to the end customer which certainly adds to the cost. We're in Seattle and they ship full containers to ports like Seattle, Miami, etc lowering the shipping cost if you can wait until the next container leaves NZ.

I hear you on cost, etc but still, we're curios and since it'll be "the car" we want to make this decisions once.
Old 09-02-2020, 02:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream345 View Post
One thing that intrigues us is the sailing version. Takes the utility tender and converts it an additional water toy when you're on anchor.

We have a Bullfrog now. Great dinghy, pretty indestructible but it's small at 10'. Add two adults, two large dogs and there's little room left for groceries or gear (crap pots), etc.

The dingy on our boat stores forward of the pilothouse and is launched and retrieved using a winch and a traveler the main mast so the lighter the better.

From what I understand these are all hand made in NZ and shipped to the end customer which certainly adds to the cost. We're in Seattle and they ship full containers to ports like Seattle, Miami, etc lowering the shipping cost if you can wait until the next container leaves NZ.

I hear you on cost, etc but still, we're curios and since it'll be "the car" we want to make this decisions once.
I agree, they are very nice, and we will probably get one with our next boat.
Old 09-02-2020, 03:53 PM   #7
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Crazy money for a not overly light boat.

Back in my sailing cat days I made a rough and ready incredibly stable and unsinkable 3m flat bottom punt in a weekend out of 4mm and 6mm gaboon ply, epoxy and PVC tube for the gunwhale and rubbing strakes.
Probably cost about $500 in material today and weighed in at about the same as an OC tender (8x4 sheet of 6mm gaboon is 21lb)

3m OC tender cost more than we paid for our our 4.2m aluminium dory with a 30hp suzuki and trailer
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:07 PM   #8
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber trawler
Quote:

Which is exactly why we got rid of our 2.4m fiberglas inflateble tender the 3.4m v-nose punt in alloy tender and eventually decided that 4.2m alloy dory was the perfect size.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:32 PM   #9
Guru

We’ll we ordered the 350. Should be built in November/December and arrive in Anacortes in January. We’re really looking forward to this tender.

We originally planned to wait for their sailing version but the longer timeline and projected price (2X plus the price of the 350) tempered our enthusiasm.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:31 PM   #10

Quote:
We’ll we ordered the 350. Should be built in November/December and arrive in Anacortes in January. We’re really looking forward to this tender.

We originally planned to wait for their sailing version but the longer timeline and projected price (2X plus the price of the 350) tempered our enthusiasm.
Congrats !
Old 09-30-2020, 04:14 PM   #11
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:

Maybe you should have just got something custom built? There are builders in Anacortes who could turn something like that out for less than that even one-off.

I was intrigued by them too, but worried a bit about durability in the PNW rockscape. The Bullfrog is very heavy, but as close to indestructible as a boat can be.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
Maybe you should have just got something custom built? There are builders in Anacortes who could turn something like that out for less than that even one-off.

I was intrigued by them too, but worried a bit about durability in the PNW rockscape. The Bullfrog is very heavy, but as close to indestructible as a boat can be.
The bullfogs are cool, but at 225lb its a bit heavy for most.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:59 PM   #13

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Mabuhay
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan
Quote:
Can you please not wake us too much while we're at anchorage, I can just see it now you playing with your new toy zipping around the bay.
w8n4sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:25 PM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by w8n4sun View Post
Can you please not wake us too much while we're at anchorage, I can just see it now you playing with your new toy zipping around the bay.
I can't guarantee anything.
Old 10-02-2020, 12:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Kenmore
Vessel Name: Snapdragon
Vessel Model: Seakeeper 41'
I have no experience with them, but saw one on a big sailing cat about a month ago. I thought it was so cool looking I kept staring at it with my big binoculars, till my wife got mad at me for being a creep. So be warned, you may notice an uptick in people watching you. I think it is going to be great.

Snapdragon III is offline   Reply With Quote