Any info on 42' yacht capsize...Lake Erie??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

go-planing

42' yacht capsize...Lake Erie??

Not much detail in current news reports....cold water!

Last edited:
Thanks. Looked like a 42 Bertram, perhaps. Erie didn't appear to be all that rough in the video, but that was apparently a couple hours after it rolled on it's side.

Thanks. Looked like a 42 Bertram, perhaps. Erie didn't appear to be all that rough in the video, but that was apparently a couple hours after it rolled on it's side.

I don't know how Lake Erie was yesterday. My guess is rough early and calming later. Lake Ontario was 8-9' and typical Great Lakes short periods, gradually improving and about 1-2' this morning and less than 1' this afternoon. A reminder how quickly it can come up as it can come up even quicker than it leaves. We originally had planned to get out yesterday, but just stayed happily where we were.

Read article which said 6' swells. I assume that is when rescued.

I would be very interested to know what conditions caused the boat to capsize. That is one reservation I have about powerboats. My sailboats may get knocked down, but would never capsize in any of the waters that I would find myself in.

We were at our dock at Chadwick Bay, Dunkirk, NY( Lake Erie) Monday morning. It was rough looking out there and we heard reports that it was worse the night before.
It was so windy that parts of the docks had shifted and come loose (but, truth be told, they weren't all that secure yet to begin with). There were small craft warnings for almost three days.

Lake Erie has been a little snotty for the past few days. The morning before this, I was preparing to get underway from Cleveland. The wind had been westerly at 10-15 for a while, but just as I was about to throw my lines off, the wind started whistling 25-30, it started sleeting, thundering, and four waterspouts touched down in the outer harbor within about 15 minutes.

I decided not to depart for a while.

Glad they're okay.

Back
Top Bottom