Any info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

craigthill

IMG_0245.JPG

This is the fuel s system on my Nordic Tug. As you can see it was made by Harman Marine that is now defunct. I am hoping that someone has the same and can provide operational, and tech info... drawings, schematics, anything.

It just looks like solenoid valves n place of the common ball valves you see.

Center switch position valves vlosed.
Starboard position, starboard valve is open, port closed
Port position, port open, starboard closed

What I do not like about it is that your boat's locomotion is 100% dependant on a continously energized solenoid. Not that it isn't happening on your engine anyway, just something to keep in mind and have a spare for.

That system looks like a list to one side waiting to happen. Why would a manufacturer use a dynamic system like fuel to balance a boat?

Well, I agree about the solenoid valves. While the operation seems quite straight forward, there are Murphy Fuel switches on each tank. I can't figure why they are in the circuit. You would think that they shut down a transfer pump on a full tank, but there is no transfer pump. The system uses the engine to transfer the fuel back and forth. Hence my desire for schematics or anything else.

As to the list question, you could use it in that way, but I believe it is a fuel polishing system using the engine to move the fuel from tank to the other through the filters.

I would like the convenience of that system however, I would be concerned about failure. If the powered off condition allowed both valves for both feed and draw to default to the open position, then I would be less concerned. In effect, the powered solenoid does nothing but close off the opposite line from the indicator light.

As to the list question, you could use it in that way, but I believe it is a fuel polishing system using the engine to move the fuel from tank to the other through the filters.

Fuel polishing makes a lot more sense.

Depending on the engine, there can be a significant amount of fuel returned from an engine, which is what might cause a list talked about by Ka_Sea_ta.

If you have that type of engine that has heavy flow on the return line then you're using the filters as a pseudo polishing system, since every gallon goes through the filters to get to the engine, and the return fuel will go back to one of the tanks.

Back
Top Bottom