Any ideas? Can-->US purchase with a side of Covid

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Salish Cruiser

Vessel Name
Yofi
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug / 32
I came across an interesting boat for sale:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1999/eagle-transpac-3722347/

As some of you may know the Transpac Eagle 32 was on my radar. This Eagle 40 is bigger/more expensive than my ideal, but I guess a bigger boat than your ideal is a very extreme example of a first world problem. :facepalm:

So, a list of things from the wonderful hive mind if you are up for it.

1. Sanity check. Close to double the original budget!! (I know, it is the round trip cost...)

2. Model specific (eagle 40) thoughts?

3. Boat specific thoughts? Is the owner around? eg: I had a wonderful conversation with Snapdragon III about his boat for sale. What a great guy. His is not the right boat for me, but what a gentleman. Someone buy his awesome adventure machine!

4. I am in Seattle and this boat is in "North Vancouver". (A bit of a marketing euphemism there. I think it is in Pender harbor actually.) Any boots on the ground in the area that either know the boat or want to look her over? I am happy to do that for Seattle area boats for y'all BTW.

5. Anyone know if it is even possible to buy a boat in "North Vancouver" when you live in the evil, plague ridden US of A? Has anyone done this? How horrific was it?

Thanks in advance for all of your sage wisdom. I have been in some other online forums and I really appreciate the calm, measured responses from TF. Not a lot of "Chevy vs Ford" crap either, which is almost unique on the internet.

Last edited:
Boats listed, I have found at least in BC will have the port declared as to the residence. So for example, recently I found a boat I listed here where the home port is Qualicum Beach. No such thing, I live in Qualicum Beach and the closest marina is French Creek but I am familiar with boats there, especially larger ones and I know this boat wasn't there. I think some one here pointed out it looked like it was in Vancouver somewhere.

You can buy your boat here in BC, you just won't be able to see it. Unless you have a close BC friend who is massively into boating and you trust them totally to look the boat over and you feel okay with his opinion and the opinion of the surveyor, then you are bungled. You might get in if you have a close relative here.

Make sure you know what currency the advertising price is. If it is Canadian, you get to apply roughly a 20 % discount to the price.

You can bring the boat into Washington state, not you specifically but some companies are doing deliveries for private buyers. I think C Tow was doing some deliveries.

Pre-plague many boats have been bought in Washington and brought up, or bought in BC and taken down. No big deal, not sure what the horror show is you envision.

The area code for the phone is 604 which is a lower mainland code. Pender Island would be 250. A few marinas in North Vancouver, the largest being Mosquito Creek, could be there. I just read the advert and yes the boat is at Pender Harbour.

Why not call Jeff to hear what he has to say regarding inspection, selling issues, etc.

Boats listed, I have found at least in BC will have the port declared as to the residence. So for example, recently I found a boat I listed here where the home port is Qualicum Beach. No such thing, I live in Qualicum Beach and the closest marina is French Creek but I am familiar with boats there, especially larger ones and I know this boat wasn't there. I think some one here pointed out it looked like it was in Vancouver somewhere.

You can buy your boat here in BC, you just won't be able to see it. Unless you have a close BC friend who is massively into boating and you trust them totally to look the boat over and you feel okay with his opinion and the opinion of the surveyor, then you are bungled. You might get in if you have a close relative here.

Make sure you know what currency the advertising price is. If it is Canadian, you get to apply roughly a 20 % discount to the price.

You can bring the boat into Washington state, not you specifically but some companies are doing deliveries for private buyers. I think C Tow was doing some deliveries.

Pre-plague many boats have been bought in Washington and brought up, or bought in BC and taken down. No big deal, not sure what the horror show is you envision.

The area code for the phone is 604 which is a lower mainland code. Pender Island would be 250. A few marinas in North Vancouver, the largest being Mosquito Creek, could be there. I just read the advert and yes the boat is at Pender Harbour.

Why not call Jeff to hear what he has to say regarding inspection, selling issues, etc.

Thanks - I have a call in to my broker to see what he thinks, and to have him reach out to the selling broker. I know that cross border transactions were fairly common pre-plague. A few more steps, but certainly possible.

I am pretty darned skittish about the "sight unseen" idea. It just doesn't seem prudent. The 5 hour drive from Seattle doesn't unsettle me too much, (though I would love to hear "I know that boat, she is a sweet one from someone other than the selling broker.) but I think that is a "hard no" at the moment.

I am guessing this is a situation where we will just wait for the border to reopen and see if it is still available. Conversely, we may find a suitable "plague boat" south of the border. Weird times!

Thanks again for your read, and your comments!

G

Thanks - I have a call in to my broker to see what he thinks, and to have him reach out to the selling broker. I know that cross border transactions were fairly common pre-plague. A few more steps, but certainly possible.

I am pretty darned skittish about the "sight unseen" idea. It just doesn't seem prudent. The 5 hour drive from Seattle doesn't unsettle me too much, (though I would love to hear "I know that boat, she is a sweet one from someone other than the selling broker.) but I think that is a "hard no" at the moment.

I am guessing this is a situation where we will just wait for the border to reopen and see if it is still available. Conversely, we may find a suitable "plague boat" south of the border. Weird times!

Thanks again for your read, and your comments!

G

A long shot but all it will cost is a phone call ...
Call Canada Customs and ask if they'll give you a commercial transaction number as you are trying to buy a boat in Canada. These numbers are what truck drivers, delivery skippers etc. use for border restriction exemptions.

A long shot but all it will cost is a phone call ...
Call Canada Customs and ask if they'll give you a commercial transaction number as you are trying to buy a boat in Canada. These numbers are what truck drivers, delivery skippers etc. use for border restriction exemptions.

Not a bad idea! I will do some poking around (with ow expectations)!

Not a bad idea! I will do some poking around (with ow expectations)!

Can't help with the viewing, but I notice this boat has a hydraulic mast lowering system. That alone distinguishes this as a very well cared for boat, ie; money has been no object.

The photos show it anchored in one of our own go-to places, and one photos shows the mast lowered, in its sheltered moorage in Pender Harbour (also 604 area code, though that phone number is most likely for the broker and has nothing to do with the location of the boat).

I have heard (though no reliable knowledge) that a commercial delivery is easy, though likely $$$. First you would need to settle on that as the right boat.

Current rules prohibit such non-essential travel as viewing a boat for sale, and even if you could go see it, you would have to quarantine 14 days, so your "wait and see" strategy is the only one.

Theory: you find the perfect Canadian boat. Passes survey with flying colors. Everyone is happy.

Requires 2 Canadian boats, the boat you are going to buy and a transfer boat to take the Canadian folks back to Canada.
One US boat to transport you out to the bought you want to buy.
On the way out, the Seller, removes the hailing port from the boat.

12 miles out, the Canadian crew gets on the transfer boat leaving no one onboard. Buyer steps on board, applies a new hailing port, reflags the boat.

A friendly wave and everyone goes home.

Now, I think that will satisfy the 'letter of the law', if you dont get caught. The argument might discuss the 'spirit of the law.'
Neither 'landed', both were outside the 12 mile limit, no physical contact.

Of course you may wish to video it incase there is some question from the law.

Now, convincing US Customs...... "Where did you go etc" Basically, you went for a boat ride. SHRUG

Last edited:
Theory: you find the perfect Canadian boat. Passes survey with flying colors. Everyone is happy.

Requires 2 Canadian boats, the boat you are going to buy and a transfer boat to take the Canadian folks back to Canada.
One US boat to transport you out to the bought you want to buy.
On the way out, the Seller, removes the hailing port from the boat.

12 miles out, the Canadian crew gets on the transfer boat leaving no one onboard. Buyer steps on board, applies a new hailing port, reflags the boat.

A friendly wave and everyone goes home.

Now, I think that will satisfy the 'letter of the law', if you dont get caught. The argument might discuss the 'spirit of the law.'
Neither 'landed', both were outside the 12 mile limit, no physical contact.

Of course you may wish to video it incase there is some question from the law.

Now, convincing US Customs...... "Where did you go etc" Basically, you went for a boat ride. SHRUG

Wow - devious. I kind of like it. But... I am stuck on the 1st point. How do I look at the boat to make sure it is the right boat?

Wow - devious. I kind of like it. But... I am stuck on the 1st point. How do I look at the boat to make sure it is the right boat?

LOL Me devious? Nawwww. :angel: :D

"They" write the rules, we just to follow them to the letter of the rules. LOL

Unless the rules have been changed and the USCG and US Customs cant understand their own rules, sounds like the only punishment is 14 days of self quarantine.

I have heard (though no reliable knowledge) that a commercial delivery is easy, though likely $$$.

With a Transport Canada Masters Certificate we have made several cross border deliveries without quarantine. It's actually simple and free once you have figured out how to navigate the bureaucracy.

As to such an exemption for viewing a boat ... the CBP officer you deal with is the absolute authority ... the OP might get lucky :)

With a Transport Canada Masters Certificate we have made several cross border deliveries without quarantine. It's actually simple and free once you have figured out how to navigate the bureaucracy.

Well that is good, but you need to somehow buy it without seeing it / seatrialing it as near as I can tell.

Well that is good, but you need to somehow buy it without seeing it / seatrialing it as near as I can tell.

My point is that if you can convince the officer that this is a "commercial endeavour" and the stars align, one just might get a CTN to go see it. I've seen it happen with boats we have delivered.

All issues can be solved, however IMO your first decision is whether you are prepared to make the commitment to quarantine in Canada for 14 days in order to then view/sea trial if your offer is accepted etc. So if you are prepared to make that commitment and find a hotel to put you up. the rest is resolveable. I have personally taken delivery of a CA boat in June this year in WA that was brought legally across the border. IF you get to the point of making a decision PM me and I'll share details. Too many naysayers on this site to make it worth publicizing (again).

Good luck

~A

What about a Canadian crew that delivers the boat to within spitting distance of the border getting off the boat and allowing for it to drift across the line with the (planned) tidal change, then a waiting US crew boards the boat in US water and takes it back to the a Washington port?
HOLLYWOOD

Greg,
There are ways to import a Canadian boat to the US (including delivery) during Covid. As you have stated, the real issue is you being able to inspect the boat without a 14 day quarantine coming into Canada.
As far as the Transpac Eagle 40 goes. When boat shopping in late 2016, we viewed one Eagle 40. It was a good boat, with many great features. It is somewhat similar to the NT 37, but there are differences. We did not like it as much as the NT 37, but that is probably more a "personal preference" than anything. The one thing that I did not like compared to the NT or AT is the "working space" in the engine room. I found the ER in the Eagle to be a bit cramped. It may make doing routine maintenance a bit more difficult, not impossible just more difficult.

However, I did really like the way the Eagle seemed to sit low in the water with a reduced windage compared to a lot of other makes. I like the Pilothouse and especially like the small table in the Pilothouse. This boat has a Cummins 6BT engine (210 HP) and that is a solid engine with a good reputation and servicing and parts are readily available.
Another bonus with this boat, is it appears to have been boathouse kept, a definite plus. It also appears that the owner is aware of the potential exhaust issue with these engines with many of the original installations in many boats, as this one has been "updated".

It is not located very close to me, especially with Covid "growing", but maybe another TF member could view it for you to give a "first hand" impression???
In general terms, I think a Transpac Eagle 40 could be a good boat for someone who likes NT and AT boats.
Good luck.

Can't help with the viewing, but I notice this boat has a hydraulic mast lowering system. That alone distinguishes this as a very well cared for boat, ie; money has been no object.

The photos show it anchored in one of our own go-to places, and one photos shows the mast lowered, in its sheltered moorage in Pender Harbour (also 604 area code, though that phone number is most likely for the broker and has nothing to do with the location of the boat).

I have heard (though no reliable knowledge) that a commercial delivery is easy, though likely $$$. First you would need to settle on that as the right boat.

Current rules prohibit such non-essential travel as viewing a boat for sale, and even if you could go see it, you would have to quarantine 14 days, so your "wait and see" strategy is the only one.

Thanks Keith - I agree that there are hints that this is a great boat. But... I still want to have some eyes on her!

My point is that if you can convince the officer that this is a "commercial endeavour" and the stars align, one just might get a CTN to go see it. I've seen it happen with boats we have delivered.

Maybe worth a try... Maybe. I am a rule follower, so I find the idea of doing this all above board very appealing. And, Covid case count is still pretty horrible in our neck of the woods at the moment. It is expected to peak in late January, with the daily death toll peaking in late February. No politics here - just trying to have a rational risk analysis and I thought I would fish around for options to do this safely and legally. I will dive into the bureaucratic abyss at some point!

Greg,
There are ways to import a Canadian boat to the US (including delivery) during Covid. As you have stated, the real issue is you being able to inspect the boat without a 14 day quarantine coming into Canada.
As far as the Transpac Eagle 40 goes. When boat shopping in late 2016, we viewed one Eagle 40. It was a good boat, with many great features. It is somewhat similar to the NT 37, but there are differences. We did not like it as much as the NT 37, but that is probably more a "personal preference" than anything. The one thing that I did not like compared to the NT or AT is the "working space" in the engine room. I found the ER in the Eagle to be a bit cramped. It may make doing routine maintenance a bit more difficult, not impossible just more difficult.

However, I did really like the way the Eagle seemed to sit low in the water with a reduced windage compared to a lot of other makes. I like the Pilothouse and especially like the small table in the Pilothouse. This boat has a Cummins 6BT engine (210 HP) and that is a solid engine with a good reputation and servicing and parts are readily available.
Another bonus with this boat, is it appears to have been boathouse kept, a definite plus. It also appears that the owner is aware of the potential exhaust issue with these engines with many of the original installations in many boats, as this one has been "updated".

It is not located very close to me, especially with Covid "growing", but maybe another TF member could view it for you to give a "first hand" impression???
In general terms, I think a Transpac Eagle 40 could be a good boat for someone who likes NT and AT boats.
Good luck.

Thanks Tom. I got all excited when I saw that you are in Nanaimo. Close, and yet... not so close in reality! :) I agree that this seems like a very nice model for people who like the stye. That is what attracted it to me in the first place of course.

I wonder if we should have a "Local to XXX, willing to give a first impression" section of the forum. I am sure it comes up, just not sure how often. As I mentioned, I am happy and willing to do this for people in the greater Seattle/Puget Sound area. If things work out, I will want my standard commision of a burger and a beer!

As to such an exemption for viewing a boat ... the CBP officer you deal with is the absolute authority ... the OP might get lucky :)

This, but a good survey and sea trial is key.

There are many very capable boat professionals, not brokers, in BC who could do a serious and believable walk through of said vessel. Combined with a first class sea trial I'd feel comfortable. But it would cost $.

I'd not feel comfortable with any inspection or walk through unless it were near Vancouver or Victoria where the right pros could easily travel. Even if no virus were occurring, buying a vessel berthed and "inspected" in Pender Harbor would be a non starter for me.

Possibly the owner would be willing to deliver vessel for inspection to Anacortes with some well worded language to cover both parties.

This, but a good survey and sea trial is key.

There are many very capable boat professionals, not brokers, in BC who could do a serious and believable walk through of said vessel. Combined with a first class sea trial I'd feel comfortable. But it would cost $.

I'd not feel comfortable with any inspection or walk through unless it were near Vancouver or Victoria where the right pros could easily travel. Even if no virus were occurring, buying a vessel berthed and "inspected" in Pender Harbor would be a non starter for me.

Possibly the owner would be willing to deliver vessel for inspection to Anacortes with some well worded language to cover both parties.

That is a very interesting idea actually. I see a few issues, solvable, but issues nonetheless. A big one is that I have never been on a Eagle 40, I am not entirely sure it is the right boat, and it is out of my price range at the moment. I guess this could be solvable if some kind eagle 40 owner let us crawl around on their boat, and I got enough assurance from you old salts that this is a boat to pursue hard enough to overcome all of these obstacles. Then we have to convince the current owner to accept our offer, which will likely leave them cranky at best. (Unwilling to make a deal at worst!)I am in that part of the shopping experience. :banghead:

Then there is the matter of Anacortes being a pretty major haul from Pender. Certainly not a "across the bay" endeavor to move the boat. A lovely weekend outing in the summer, but a bit of a thrash with the 6 weeks of southerlies expected this time of year. I am intrigued though...

This feels like a WONDERFUL solution if we were in the "accepted offer" part of a deal. Subject to survey, engine analysis and sea trial in Anacortes area with some sort of agreed upon cost / effort sharing about the delivery down and potentially back up if things don't work out.

I am loving the creative solutions!

Greg
I'm thinking the boat is in North Van area and not Pender Harbour, thus a trip to Anacortes is easy. BTW, what heating systems does vessel have? Suggest you view the vessel yourself though. Internet shopping, especially out of country, can lead to buyer's remorse.

Greg:
When you look closely at the listing you will see this "Vessel is located in Pender Harbour on BC's beautiful Sunshine Coast."

A US resident member of our RVYC was keeping his 60' yacht in club moorage in the winters. With Covid he couldn't come here to use it, so had it delivered to Washington State in the late spring. It has now returned to club moorage for this winter. I don't know him, so don't know how those deliveries were accomplished, only that they were.

That does nothing to solve your immediate problem of a viewing. That will never change from non-essential, so will remain a more serious obstacle.

Price may well be the most serious obstacle.

Greg
I'm thinking the boat is in North Van area and not Pender Harbour, thus a trip to Anacortes is easy. BTW, what heating systems does vessel have? Suggest you view the vessel yourself though. Internet shopping, especially out of country, can lead to buyer's remorse.

Pretty sure it is in Pender, per the advert. A call to the broker will verify that quickly. I am waiting to loop my broker in once everyone is back to work. I think North Van -->Anacortes is still an unreasonable ask without offer and acceptance.

Heater is a good question. I didn't see anything listed, but I would be quite surprised if it didn't have one given the way it is outfitted.

And yes... I can't see doing this sight unseen. The normal flow: view (maybe even more than once) offer, acceptance, survey (and specialists), sea trial, closing, delivery. Is broken before it really can get started. Thanks!

Greg:
When you look closely at the listing you will see this "Vessel is located in Pender Harbour on BC's beautiful Sunshine Coast."

A US resident member of our RVYC was keeping his 60' yacht in club moorage in the winters. With Covid he couldn't come here to use it, so had it delivered to Washington State in the late spring. It has now returned to club moorage for this winter. I don't know him, so don't know how those deliveries were accomplished, only that they were.

That does nothing to solve your immediate problem of a viewing. That will never change from non-essential, so will remain a more serious obstacle.

Price may well be the most serious obstacle.

Thanks!

I think you have it pretty well summed up. Viewing = no go for a while. Price = massive obstacle, maybe terminal. And that is all assuming we want the boat!!!

I guess upon reflection what I really wanted if the world was perfect (clearly it is not) was one of you wonderful folks to say: I know this boat! or I have a sister ship! or I own this boat! or It is right down the dock, and is a cherry. Or, oh yeah, Veritas III - it has sunk at least twice! or... That guy has been hawking that boat for years... what a dog!

I am going to get my broker to call, and I will keep an eye on it for sure. You never know what may happen. We live in very strange times.

I know nothing about buying and selling across international borders however I do on an eagle 40 which I purchased in 2015. Personally I think but the boat has beautiful lines and the extension of the whole sides around the deck adds a level of security when moving around outside.

The Cummings engine, 6BTA220HP has been incredibly reliable. In the process of moving around the boat installing a generator, HVAC system and replacing two other systems I have gotten to know the boat at a very detailed level.

The construction is robust and what you would expect on a mid-level Build. Perform my own maintenance and haveRevealed the sanitation system, bow thruster, lofts said horizontal winless.

The pilot house affords excellent visibility with 11 windows to see what is in front and behind the boat. I cruise at 1600 RPMs which provides a 7.5 not cruising speed and about 3 gallons per hour fuel consumption.

Her profile provides low windage when cruising and docking and the 2 dock access doors are located in such a way as to provide ingress/egress if you have to dock bow in.

The rails are 2 1/4 inches in diameter and provide very reliable Handholds and stability.

On the downside is my lack of a guest cabin which yours appears to have. While engine access is not as good as some it is better than most in this size range And when you open the pilot house hatches you have stand up headroom.

Dinghy storage is limited to the swim platform and getting the 57 lb Outboard from the lazaret to the Dinghy can be a challenge. You will no doubt find some moisture around the windless on the forward deck and the lockers are too shallow resulting in the pyramid of doom while recovering the anchor. I keep a rod handy to knock it down and the 240 feet of 3/8 chain is manageable.

I would like a boat with Upper station dinghy storage, more speed, and guest accommodations. But at no time have I regretted this purchase except during the spring wax job It is very easy to single hand. I am more than content to enjoy cruising the eagle until another boat comes along.

I hope this helps.

Don

I know nothing about buying and selling across international borders however I do on an eagle 40 which I purchased in 2015. Personally I think but the boat has beautiful lines and the extension of the whole sides around the deck adds a level of security when moving around outside.

The Cummings engine, 6BTA220HP has been incredibly reliable. In the process of moving around the boat installing a generator, HVAC system and replacing two other systems I have gotten to know the boat at a very detailed level.

The construction is robust and what you would expect on a mid-level Build. Perform my own maintenance and haveRevealed the sanitation system, bow thruster, lofts said horizontal winless.

The pilot house affords excellent visibility with 11 windows to see what is in front and behind the boat. I cruise at 1600 RPMs which provides a 7.5 not cruising speed and about 3 gallons per hour fuel consumption.

Her profile provides low windage when cruising and docking and the 2 dock access doors are located in such a way as to provide ingress/egress if you have to dock bow in.

The rails are 2 1/4 inches in diameter and provide very reliable Handholds and stability.

On the downside is my lack of a guest cabin which yours appears to have. While engine access is not as good as some it is better than most in this size range And when you open the pilot house hatches you have stand up headroom.

Dinghy storage is limited to the swim platform and getting the 57 lb Outboard from the lazaret to the Dinghy can be a challenge. You will no doubt find some moisture around the windless on the forward deck and the lockers are too shallow resulting in the pyramid of doom while recovering the anchor. I keep a rod handy to knock it down and the 240 feet of 3/8 chain is manageable.

I would like a boat with Upper station dinghy storage, more speed, and guest accommodations. But at no time have I regretted this purchase except during the spring wax job It is very easy to single hand. I am more than content to enjoy cruising the eagle until another boat comes along.

I hope this helps.

Don

Very helpful, thanks Don!!!

Back
Top Bottom