Any experience with this brand windlass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksanders

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
DOS PECES
Vessel Make
BAYLINER 4788
I am thinking about replacing my Muir Cougar windlass with one of these.

1500-10-4.jpg

1500-1a.jpg

http://beta.ezanchorpuller.com/assets/Aarons-Photos/1500-2.jpg

Here's their web site

Home » ANCHOR PULLER

This is a small company that has been building these windlasses for a long time.

They have a new model that hasn't made it to their web site called the 1800. It was designed for larger boats and the nice lady said it will hold my 500' of 5/8 rode plus 100' of chain with room to spare.

This is not a small unit like any drum type windlass, and it has a fiberglass cover to make it less workboat like.

Has anybody seen one of these units in action?

I saw one of these units on display a a boat show....looked very capable. It appeals to me, and I'd probably have one if money were no object. The footprint probably spreads the anchor load nicely, but I'd have a good spreader platform beneath.

Had one that came with a Nordic Tug 26 we bought a few years ago. Worked great. Fairly quiet in operation and held 100' of chain and 150' 1/2" 3-strand. The coiled up chain acted as a sun cover over the nylon line. Extra bonus was everything was stored above deck ...... no stink in the chain locker! The next owner was very happy with it.

It looks great except for the faked "testimonials."

AS the line is would on the drum the diameter goes UP.

So it will take line faster as you get to the anchor , but will be weaker in terms of pulling up the gear.

Not a problem overnight , unless you snag something heavy and have no trip line.

I've met a few people with them and they all like them. Take up a lot of space on deck. They say It is much faster than other windlasses and doesn't need cleating off (?). Don't recall if it has a free fall feature. Based on comments on The Hull Truth forum there was some question as to the company's viability a year or two ago but perhaps that's been addressed as the web site is back up and they are answering the phone. You can do a search on THT for more info, these had a following over there

Kevin...several of my fishing friends went with them based on a good reputation for build and survival on the harsh deck of their smaller sportfishers (up to 32' Blackfin).

If I remember the biggest complaints was if it didn't work...now what ? (as to do with everything)....and I'm pretty sure that level winding was an issue when it was rough and someone had to hang on and level wind the line....but that was only when using a huge amount of line when anchoring offshore.

The guys half and half used "ball and ring" retrieval systems some of the time when anchoring really deep. even with the windlass...one guy was primarily a wreck fisherman and used his A LOT.

In the long run...not sure whether it's a better setup ...but those guys thought it was a much better setup for them and fishing.

Thanks Guys!

The unit cost is $3500 for the model 1800 with the 6HP oversized motor.

I found out that the guy that originally made these passed away, so the company was not functional for a 6 month or so time period as they sorted things out. I guess that happens when you are a sole proprietor.

As a comparison my Muir Cougar Windlass is $5600.

If I dont do this I'll end up going with an all chain rode and a larger conventional windlass to pull it. I'm looking at $7K and up for an ideal brand windlass.

I could do this either way. I like the ideal windlass as well. Great product. Very reliable.

Kevin...several of my fishing friends went with them based on a good reputation for build and survival on the harsh deck of their smaller sportfishers (up to 32' Blackfin).

If I remember the biggest complaints was if it didn't work...now what ? (as to do with everything)....and I'm pretty sure that level winding was an issue when it was rough and someone had to hang on and level wind the line....but that was only when using a huge amount of line when anchoring offshore.

The guys half and half used "ball and ring" retrieval systems some of the time when anchoring really deep. even with the windlass...one guy was primarily a wreck fisherman and used his A LOT.

In the long run...not sure whether it's a better setup ...but those guys thought it was a much better setup for them and fishing.

Thats what we do... We anchor to fish. That keeps the bow into the wind.

If we drift, out boat goes sideways into the wind and even a small long period swell sets up a pretty serious roll pattern, making sitting there and fishing uncomfortable.

In a given day I might want to anchor off five or more times. Not serious set the anchor stuff, but drop the hook, let it catch, and pull the bow into the wind.

Back
Top Bottom