Antifreeze

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cbouch

I want to carry a gallon of antifreeze 50/50 in order to top off the engine if required. I have a Perkins diesel and the color of current solution is yellow. Is the yellow antifreeze zerex?? Does it make any difference what I use?? Thanks,cliff

I'm far from an expert but I carry a gallon of premix Prestone green I think that says it is compatible with all antifreeze types. Naturally my generator has green and my Yanmar has an orange color. Good thing is that since they were serviced when I bought the boat I haven't had to add any. Don

Antifreez needs to be changed out every 2-3 years, if your boat is new to you , dump what is in the engine , use a good 2 part cleaner , then flush flush , flush.

Refill with whatever Da Book recommends , at least 1/3 AF in warm climates, 1/2 where it can freeze.

Buy extra and log what you installed in your maint book.

If the boat IS new to you , its a good idea to do the engine & tranny oil & filters.

If you want good reliability change the belts and hoses and sea water impeller too.

Last edited:
I think I know that you aren't supposed to mix colors. Maybe it's mixing blue with green can cause a gummed up condition--can't recall exactly, follow the book is best idea and refill with what is in there.

Don't mix coolant flavors in a Yanmar!! Those are very picky on coolant.

The other consideration apart from "universal" is "long life" -- good for 5 years!!

Yep, Yanmar has a specific spec that most red ELC (extended life coolant) meets. Spec is in the book.

OK, to the original poster, what engine do you have? Never trust a previous owner to have the correct fluids in an engine. I changed EVERYTHING to manufacturer's spec the first week i owned this boat. Gotta have a known baseline.

I won't mix antifreeze / coolant types. There are horror stories of some incompatible types forming a jelly like substance. I've had that happen, the clean up of the engine and keel cooler was extensive and expensive.

I did some research following that incident and it appears to be rare now, but still can happen. Why risk it?

As for the recommendation to use the engine manufacturer's specified coolant. Just do it.

Coolant cost compared to cost of engine / cooling system work is cheap. Why take chances?

Attachments

• coolant jel.JPG
    coolant jel.JPG
    19.6 KB · Views: 77
Back
Top Bottom