anti-freeze question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcarli

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Pandion
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 46
I have older Hino diesels and want to get this forums feedback on if there is much difference in antifreeze(I did go on the Bayliner forum but thought I would put it out here as well)..Here is what I am using now and I change it out every three years....
thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0383.JPG
    IMG_0383.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0384.JPG
    IMG_0384.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 59
Unless the Hino has an aluminum exhaust manifold, which I seriously doubt, you should be fine with that antifreeze.

David

bcarli,
I am not familiar at all with Hino. However, I do know that some engines require specific coolant to avoid problems. Also, do not mix coolant types (usually discernible by colour) or you may create a "glue like" gel inside your engine. This means you should flush your entire system if changing to a different coolant to avoid any problems. My advice would be to contact Hino or a very trustworthy Hino mechanic for specifics on what type of coolant to use with your engine. This is much easier than dealing with a problem after the fact!!
Tom

I agree that you need to contact a Hino dealer and ask them. Many replaceable cylinder liner type engines require a diesel rated low silicate antifreeze. In addition they often need an SCA or DCA additive to protect the water side of the liners from cavitation erosion which in time will damage the engine.

This is not just applicable to the marine engines but their truck lineup also.

Some diesels get cavitation damage from bubbles forming on the wet side of the water jacket when run at high hp. Don't know Hino, but could require a specific anti freeze. There is a coolant additive for cavitation available at most truck stop stores or online if needed. I have to run it in my Ford pu and some turbo Detroits.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom