Anti-fouling paint galvanic corrosion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lady In Blue

The anti-fouling paint on my underwater hardwell as well as the transom flaked off after roughly three months in salt water after a new bottom job. At first, I believed it to be caused by stray current electrolysis from the marina, and I'm still not so sure it wasn't, however, after reading a chapter in "Your Boat's Electrical System" by Miller and Maloney, there may be another explanation. According to Miller and Maloney, metallic-based anti-fouling paints (such as those with high copper content) will react with the base metal of the hardware and not adhere well. Is there any coatings experts, reps or techs on this forum that can verify this claim? The bottom paint on my boat is West Marine CPP. I am told it is manufactured by Petit. Sent an email to Petit tech seeking comment, but have yet to receive a response. Prior to painting the hardware with CPP anti-fouling paint, the running gear was sanded and prepped and undercoated with Interlux 2000E barrier coat and a anti-fouling signal coat. Only the top layer of AF paint flaked off. Also, interestingly, with the exception of the transom which was closest to the shore power pedestal in the slip, none of the bottom paint on the fiberglass hull flaked off. Additionally, one trim tab zinc was eroded away to the size of a silver dollar and was shiny...a tale tell sign of stray current electrolysis.

Attachments

• 20200507_162707.jpg
    20200507_162707.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20200507_162823.jpg
    20200507_162823.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom