Answers to the 'dangling thread' off Hatteras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2savage

Vessel Name
Savage
Vessel Make
Seaton 50 expedition trawler
I deliberately left this out since it is in itself a topic and seperate from any mechanical issues..

First though, I'm at my slip at Safe Harbour Marina in Haverstraw NY on the Hudson River. I arrived yesterday afternoon and the whole voyage was 1012 miles.

Our first remedy for rescue was Tow Boat US. They brough us two new 8D batteries as we suspected that ours were the culprits. The main engine solenoid would click and the starter maybe turned a little, but never a full revolution. The batteries came out of Oregon inlet to meet us after we had been towed 10 miles by another Tow Boat vessel.

New batteries aboard and installed (moved boat to boat in 6-8 foot seas) and we thought we were fixed. No. There was no noticable difference. We were informed that we could not be towed into Oregon Inlet because the bar was such that a larger boat was needed due to the breakers. Our only option was to anchor and wait for a bigger boat. So in the Atlantic, 45 feet of water and an ugly sea we dropped our 125 LB Rocna with 200 ft of chain to ride out the night. Next morning the Coast Guard got involved and considered us at risk for incoming weather and sent a 47 foot boat of theirs to tow us in.

Getting the anchor up in those conditions was tough and they had to get our tow hooked up to take the strain of the boat off the chain before we could complete that task. Our winch breaker switch kept tripping before they did that due to the huge demands on the winch.

Our tow to the inlet was FAST! At 48 tons and 46' water line length our max hull speed is 9 kts, but they towed us at 10 kts! This continued as we zoomed through the breakers of Oregon Inlet and onward to Wanchese Industrial Park which is a Sport Fish haven. Once tied to a wharf we were boarded and inspected, including ships documents and safety equipment, which we passed with no issues.

We (I had one other crew member) then set about our diagnostic process and many hours later tracked down the bad cable. The Westerbeke generator water pump would take three days to arrive so we set about other fixes in the meanwhile (like replacing the main engine raw water pump) and by Monday we were ready to continue the voyage. We had taken on 500 gallons of fuel in Beaufort to augment the 700 we started with so pushed on to NYC with only fuel filter changes to worry about.

In retrospect we realize we pushed the boat to highlight its flaws and understand that it has been many years since it was offshore. But for a 53 year old boat it performed beyond expectations. The paravane system was freshly installed and performed as designed. We will make a few modifications for outrigger and vane recovery but the ability to prevent rolling was excellent. We also have two stabilizing sails plus a keel with end plate so in beam seas we could handle anything thrown at us.

To sum up, it was an exhausting trip but we got the job done. Please, try to keep the 'sage advice' to a minimum. Although there were only two of us we are both experienced mariners and knowledgeable mechanics.

For the record we used seven fuel filters for the racors and two for the main engine.

Last edited:
As the owner of a single engine boat, this falls into the nightmare scenario category.

What would you do differently? Any suggestions for me as I contemplate heading south to Mexico?

Thanks for sharing - Peter

As the owner of a single engine boat, this falls into the nightmare scenario category.

What would you do differently? Any suggestions for me as I contemplate heading south to Mexico?

I always have a set of heavy duty jumper cables and a charged spare battery on board.
They have turned a potential towing situation into a 5 minute inconvenience at least once.

Glad it worked out and you arrived safely.

The first step in diagnosing a starting problem like that is to measure the voltage right on the battery terminals while trying the starter. If it drops way down, your batteries are low or bad. If it does not, you have a connection issue, not a battery issue. By measuring the voltage while trying to start at successive points closer to the starter, you will quickly find the problem.

Greetings,
Mr. 2S. I don't have one damn bit of "sage advice". No-one was hurt or injured. The new boat performed admirably and you have some stories to tell the grandkids. Well done!

Thanks for the follow up, I always like to learn from other peoples experiences and resolutions.

We are just across the river from you for another couple weeks.

I always have a set of heavy duty jumper cables and a charged spare battery on board.
They have turned a potential towing situation into a 5 minute inconvenience at least once.

Still got mine... of course the boat is gone, but I have inflated a soft tire once.:lol:

Attachments

• jumper.jpg
    jumper.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 18
Thanks for the rest of the story, 2savage, and quite a story it is. May it never be necessary to apply any of the lessons learned, at least not in that situation / conditions! Ugh. Glad you reached your home port safe and sound.

Still got mine... of course the boat is gone, but I have inflated a soft tire once.:lol:

Not really a match for two D8 batteries in parallel. Maybe you could use it to jump start your lawn mower :lol:

Yes, I have advice. Part of our problem is the long run from the batteries at the stern to the starter. I'm talking 25 feet of 2/0 cable. So, since I now have extra 8D batteries I'm going to build a battery box within two feet of the starter with its own cutoff switch. This will act as a totally separate starting method independent from the existing system. It will be charged from the alternator, which will be upgraded in amperage to cope.

As an added bonus the battery box will double as a seat on the port side of the engine room where I can sit during our regular engine checks while on a passage. I already haver a comfy seat on the starboard side but cant see everything from there.

Don't think I want to wrangle 8Ds in port let alone under those conditions.

Glad you came through it all safely.

Could you elaborate on the fuel mismanagement. Did you draw from one tank and return to another? Thought you had more fuel than you did? Miscalculated actual consumption do to new to you boat? Just curious and trying to learn from others.

Not really a match for two D8 batteries in parallel. Maybe you could use it to jump start your lawn mower :lol:

Your 6-71 main's starter will draw about 400 amps or so, less if the engine is
warmed up as yours was at the time. Maybe too much for the jump pack, maybe not.

The one pictured in AlaskaProf's post has some negative reviews on Amazon so it may
not be the best example of the breed. A better pack would have no problem, though.

Last edited:
I always have a set of heavy duty jumper cables and a charged spare battery on board. They have turned a potential towing situation into a 5 minute inconvenience at least once.

:thumb::thumb:
Find out quick if the bat cables or the battery is the weak link. Also jump from house batteries if not setup up by switch quickly.
Just one of the tools.

Actually, started one of my Cat 3208s with ease.

I bought an emergency battery for the bike, fits into shirt pocket. Carried without need, so I decided to test it by leaving headlight on until battery went dead. IT started the bike no problem.
technology.

Could you elaborate on the fuel mismanagement. Did you draw from one tank and return to another? Thought you had more fuel than you did? Miscalculated actual consumption do to new to you boat? Just curious and trying to learn from others.

We have a four tank system. We run off the center tank and transfer from the others as needed and to keep balanced. We were running off the center tank and drawing fuel from the wing tanks. But one wing tank was turned off so we
accidentally emptied the other and drew dirt and air into the system.

Return from main and generator is always to the center to reduce need for transfers.

Back
Top Bottom